PDA

View Full Version : Centre-fix R/t Fail

ZOOKER
29th May 2008, 22:40
If we are cleared to the 'centre-fix' for a particular runway, instead of the normal holding fix, what would the expected course of action be in the event of a radio failure?

airac
31st May 2008, 17:29
Route to the normal fix and comply with R/t fail procedures.

Canoehead
1st Jun 2008, 09:01
Or call us on your cellphone/mobile.

chevvron
1st Jun 2008, 10:28
Please define 'centrefix'. It does not appear in the UK MATS part 1.

airac
1st Jun 2008, 16:07
Chevvron Your wish is my command:D

Section 3 Chapter 1 Page 9

9.8 Self-positioning of aircraft

9.8.1 Controllers should exercise caution when approving self-positioning to final approach and are not to initiate reference to the 'Centrefix' or other locally used term.

9.8.2 If controllers are in any doubt about the location of the 'Centrefix' or other position referred to by a pilot, they are to ask the pilot to define this position and take this definition into consideration when carrying out their controlling duties.

chevvron
1st Jun 2008, 17:15
Yes I'm aware of the mention of 'centrefix' but where is it DEFINED? It's certainly not in the glossary! We sometimes get asked by pilots if they can self position but where to? Is it a point in space at a defined position relative to faf?

PPRuNe Radar
1st Jun 2008, 19:02
If controllers are in any doubt about the location of the 'Centrefix' or other position referred to by a pilot, they are to ask the pilot to define this position and take this definition into consideration when carrying out their controlling duties.

The MATS Part 1 makes it clear that you ask the pilot to tell you where it is. Generally it is about 8 miles final from my experience.

Skyjuggler
1st Jun 2008, 20:22
So here's the thing...
At the station I work we're not allowed to send an aircraft to a centrefix...ever. Out manager insists that the approach doesn't exist and that that there are no documented contingencies in the case of radio failure etc... Regardless of what we say to the contrary, it's a bit like f@rting against thunder...:ugh:

Is there any reference in an ICAO doc?