PDA

View Full Version : No AUTO Go around on A320

pilotB737
29th May 2008, 11:54
I have just flown a sim session on an A320, and experienced a failure, that I have never seen or heard about before.:confused:

Had a ENG failure on ENG 2 during take off ( set up with a FADEC failure), ECAM came up without telling to retard TL no 2, but otherwise a normal ECAM for ENG failure. During the following ILS approach with autopilot (AP1 +AP2) on, had to make a standard Missed approach single ENG. On Applying TOGA FMA read MAN TOGA and LAND (green). TOGA thrust was applied but the aircraft continued on the GS and LOC and didn’t initiate the normal Go Around even though it was on auto pilot. Speed increased but continued on the ILS. Had to disconnect autopilot and make a manual go around. At this stage the FMA mode got into FLARE mode. During go around FD had to be reset to get the FD into OPEN CLIMB and NAV.

We tried this scenario the next day and same thing happened.

I hope this is a SIM problem, but hope somebody can clarify this since this is otherwise a problem with the A320 autopilot system associated with a FADEC problem.

fantom
29th May 2008, 12:09
Simulators often do strange things. My bet is that it just needed a reload.

Lemurian
29th May 2008, 12:16
On Applying TOGA FMA read MAN TOGA and LAND (green).
The necessity of reading - and understanding the FMA. In this case, you should have had TOGA / SRS / RWY TRK.
The LAND green shows that the mode hasn't changed : You still are on an autoland srategy.
Your sim software should be seriously reviewed.

divinehover
29th May 2008, 13:34
"What's it doing now?"

"Oh, it does that sometimes"

Dan Winterland
29th May 2008, 13:42
Sounds like a sim thing.

But in any case, remember the 'golden rules'. If it's not doing what you want it to do, take over and make it do it!

Check Airman
29th May 2008, 13:56
"What's it doing now?"

"Oh, it does that sometimes"

:D

I think we've come full circle now:

What's it doing now?

Oh, it does that sometimes

Look, it's doing it again!

:}

powerstall
29th May 2008, 14:40
seems like the sim having a mind of itself... could clearly remember during my initial TR... my instructor used to say.. What is it doing now?...... (naughty French word with five letters deleted)!!!

couldn't really figure out what he meant by that then.... but now i do...:E

youarealoooser
29th May 2008, 15:13
Sounds like you did the right thing under the circumstances. Makes me wonder what are the chances of the aeroplane suffering from the same glitch for real?

Dani
29th May 2008, 23:05
The title is a bit missleading. There is no Auto Go Around feature on Airbus. You still have to initiate manually :rolleyes:

But would be a great feature. As soon as you pass minimum and you don't press a "continue" button, the aircraft goes into GA. Would avoid some landing-happy pilots from doing their tricks...!

But even the creative Airbus engineers don't go that far.

Dani

Lemurian
30th May 2008, 01:31
But would be a great feature. As soon as you pass minimum and you don't press a "continue" button, the aircraft goes into GA. Would avoid some landing-happy pilots from doing their tricks...!

It's still on the Boeings, Dani, from the 744 onwards (?), and for NPAs.
IMO not a good implement as at -slightly lower than - the minimal DA, an automatic go-around is initiated unless the autopilot is disconnected. You'd continue on manual flying... The feature wasn't well known and was the cause of the AF Tahiti Faà mishap (flight ended in the shallows of the lagoon).

It does it for real, it's the FMS not the Sim....
Strange, I've never seen that failure or an AD related to that failure in my twelve years on the 'Bus, six as a management pilot.

Dan Winterland
30th May 2008, 08:42
I remember that OEB. I think it was called "No transition to Go Around" or something like it and it affected only the legacy FMCs. It has been fixed on the aircraft therefore it should have been fixed in the sim.

BTW, I know which 320 sim you're talking about. It's long overdue it's scheduled maintenance.

Stuck_in_an_ATR
30th May 2008, 14:10
Re:auto go-around upon reaching DA - I heard that the Ruskies actually implemented this feature on the Tupolev 154! Anyway, I prefer the normal way - imagine the mess caused by auto-go around if you miss to push the "continue" button during normal landing :}

The Windsock
30th May 2008, 16:33
Not trying to split hairs here Lemurian, but should one not see TOGA/SRS/GA TRK? As opposed to RWY TRK on application of TOGA in the normal case? Certainly came up with these FMAs both in the sim and the a/c every time I have performed a GA thus far.

Interesting thread though. Is there an OEB about any of this? Which FMGS are we talking about? My company had THALES kit with two variants.

Cheers.

The Windsock

Lemurian
30th May 2008, 18:41
the Windsock
Not trying to split hairs here Lemurian, but should one not see TOGA/SRS/GA TRK?
That's not splitting hairs, Sir. That's correcting a big mistake due to unnecessary haste. Thanks !

Monkeyflight
DW already stated it's an issue with the Legacy FMS 1...
Lemurian, how old are the planes you fly? We've got some from the late 80's with the really old stuff installed. The mentioned OEB has also been incorporated into our Ops manuals as SOP...

All our airplanes have been updated over the ages and the old FMS had disappeared a long time ago. We're seeing the third model, that's way I've never heard of that possibility.

Regards

fac_2
1st Jun 2008, 17:40
I fly an 320-214 and 2 319s -112 FMS 2+ all less that 3 yrs old which still have that OEB active i.e NO SRS ENGAGEMENT AFTER GO AROUND !!