View Full Version : Airline Pilots - What would you do?

PitotTube
29th May 2008, 10:43
So you are a Captain on a passenger airline and you have just pushed off stand and taxing out for takeoff. While awaiting the cabin secure the purser calls you up and says that a passenger does not want to go on the flight any more.. what do you do?

Scenario 1: The one pax is frightened to death by flying
Scenario 2: The one pax wants to get off for convenience (delayed earlier on)

Do we legally have to let the passenger off that does not want to fly? What's the scoop?

Thanks, Pt

BOAC
29th May 2008, 10:47
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, and I think the answer from some legal bod was that not allowing the pax off was contrary to some 'right' and represented some sort of 'imprisonment'.

PitotTube
29th May 2008, 14:19
Trying to find a previous thread, but no luck

powerstall
29th May 2008, 14:29
I think i have read the same topic as per boac, but a friend of mine had this incident a few months before, he just informed atc his intention to taxi back to drop off the said pax let the security take hold of him and let the legal department deal with him afterwards....

oh.. i almost forgot, the flight got delayed for more than an hour.... ground crew had to find and drop his bags. :suspect:

IMHO, it was better for the flight to have the pax dropped off before t/o rather than have him go crazy in flight and re-land. :ugh:

BOAC
29th May 2008, 18:22
Found some time.... (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=203792)

Pugilistic Animus
29th May 2008, 21:36
BOAC, that is a very interesting thread--that you've found:

However, that thread is closed and no new contributions and debate are available...also it emphasizes UK--law---it would be nice to see a broader perspective... For instance, in the US the FARs are overriding to state jurisdiction..., And, if I've read the thread correctly the UK might be a little different.

I just think it time for a new debate...as the Debate will never end---

V1:}

PA

Daysleeper
30th May 2008, 08:40
Scenario 1: The one pax is frightened to death by flying
Scenario 2: The one pax wants to get off for convenience (delayed earlier on)

Can I add scenario 3: The passenger says he's a pilot/engineer/whatever and believes the aircraft is unsafe to fly and therefor no longer wishes to travel with this airline.