PDA

View Full Version : Licence delay

mike172
28th May 2008, 10:46
Having passed my skill test almost two months ago now I sent off for my licence around three weeks ago. The reason for the gap between passing and sending off my stuff was due to the fact I hadn't yet done my radio practical.
Just over two weeks later I got a package through the door and ripped it open in excitment only to find my logbook, QXC certificate and a letter.
My CFI had forgotten to sign my QXC certificate and the application couldn't be completed until it had been signed.
My question is do I now have to wait another two weeks for the licence to come through or will it arrive more quickly?
Also, why did it take them two weeks to notice that the certificate had not been signed? I know they took the money from my account very quickly, funny that.

I know it's not their fault that the certificate wasn't signed but £168 for such crap service pisses me off a little.

MIKECR
28th May 2008, 10:53
Flight Crew Licensing at CAA Towers has always had a 2 to 3 week turn around time. Whether its a private or a proffesional licence, it makes no odds. You can always use the 'same day' service provided you are prepared to travel to Gatwick and hang around all day. Depends how urgently you need the licence.

Oh and they ALWAYS take your money as soon as they receive your application!

Shunter
28th May 2008, 11:45
You can't use the same day service for the issue of a license. You can only use it for adding or renewing a rating. You used to be able to, but they stopped it a while back.

When I applied for my PPL I enclosed a letter telling them I was going on holiday very soon so could they send my passport back ASAP - they just cracked on and sent me the whole lot, including license, in under the week :)

mike172
28th May 2008, 20:13
So will I have to wait another two weeks? I'm bored of flying on my own, I want some company up there!

UV
28th May 2008, 22:55
You had to wait just 2 weeks. With time in the post I regard this as excellent service.
Didnt you even look at it before it went off to them?!!
UV

RTN11
29th May 2008, 12:51
They kicked my licence out because the Doctor hadn't sent off any of his paperwork for my class 2 medical.

Once he sent in the forms it took them under a week to send out the licence, but they didn't actually send me all the paperwork back, just kept it and waited for the doctor to get his act together.

mike172
29th May 2008, 21:57
Everything that was meant to be there was there. I didn't realaise that the QXC certificate hadn't been signed. I assumed that because all the paperwork had been left with the school that it had been signed and sorted. It's a simple mistake to make and I'm not blaming anyone. It's not a big deal to be honest, I'd just like the paper in my hand so I can take my mates flying.

2 weeks, excellent service? Not for a £168 mate. All they need to do is check the paper work, do some checks I'm guessing and print off a few bits of paper. It should cost a few quid and take a couple of days at the most. Charging £168 is unfair.

MIKECR
29th May 2008, 22:12
£168 is pretty cheap to be honest for the caa. Try taking an IR skills test at 800 quid(plus aircraft hire on top of that)!!!!!!!! The caa fee's are extortianate, get used to it am afraid. A visit to caa towers will soon reveal where your money go's though. BM's and Merc's in the car park, and the finest(subsidised) cuisine on offer at the staff canteen!!:}:}

UV
30th May 2008, 14:42
Mike 172, if you think 2 weeks is unfair try the FAA. For a medical enquiry it takes a minimum of 3 MONTHS for an acknowledgement (See their website!) and then another 3 MONTHS for them to consider their response to requested documentation. Add to that a further 3 MONTHS for lost replies (incorrectly addressed) and you will think 2 weeks very fair.....I know.

Anyway shouldnt the CAA give priority to Professional Liceneces, type ratings, IRs etc., where revenues and incomes are at stake!
UV

flora1234
30th May 2008, 18:04
i had a similar experience. sent off for the licence, but my cfi hadn't signed the cheque. i received my licence after 10 weeks wait. no apologies or anything. added to that i e-mailed the CAA's licensing department and politely asked what was going on. they couldn't be bothered to reply. they regulate themselves so there is no method of complaint. i do wonder if the caa is upholding its responsibility for safety by grounding a newly qualified ppl for that time. luckily no mishaps as yet, but i can see it having ill effects on anybody who quickly gets out of practice.