PDA

View Full Version : Qantas S/O to F/O in 18 months

Beer Baron
28th May 2008, 06:08
Latest slots out indicate that S/O's who have started earlier this year/late last year will have F/O promotions by June next year. Not bad I say!! :ok:

Sonny Hammond
28th May 2008, 06:25
Excellent propaganda tool!
Now go and read the 'other' latest news flash from QF about reducing services due to high fuel prices.

You have the promotion when you're in the seat, checked out.

Muff Hunter
28th May 2008, 06:42
Beer baron, wake up......wake up.....you must be dreaming.

Last I looked/heard it was running at 3-5 years...

OZBorn
28th May 2008, 06:51
Maybe Beer Baron is talking about crossing over to J* to help stop the invading 457 visa applicants!

Skypatrol
28th May 2008, 07:05
Not bad at all Beer Baron.

It happened before during the previous big promotional wave and hopefully will happen again. It largely depends though on timing and when you join the company in the midst of a promotional 'surge' or in between them.......

Tempo
28th May 2008, 07:29
Good on these guys who have obtained quick promotions. Yes it is all timing but you still have to be prepared to move for the promotion (all these super junior slots are PER based 737 F/O). Well done.

VH-JJW
28th May 2008, 09:28
I wonder if these promotions will stand given this afternoons announcement of 7 aircraft retirements in addition to 747-400 reduced utilisation?

One would hope that the left and right hand were talking prior to the announcement of slots so as to not dissapoint those who only this morning were thinking with $$ and stripes in their eyes.................

allthecoolnamesarego
28th May 2008, 09:53
Turn up to work, tired and hungry.

Watch a movie or two, eat too much. On arrival in port, drink to you fall over (so you can turn up tired and hungry):}

Grnd Hog
28th May 2008, 10:13
One would hope that the left and right hand were talking prior to the announcement of slots!!

Don't be Ridiculous! - :ugh:

Mr.Buzzy
28th May 2008, 10:43
Or you can go fly somewhere else and avoid being a stage-coach driver entirely!

bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzz

Transition Layer
28th May 2008, 11:17
God bless the cadets, what a dream run!!! ...those hard yards in Darwin flying the Brasilia have really paid off!!!

Mr. Hat
28th May 2008, 13:00
once upon a time on a dark scary night i saw this great big storm sitting in my tiny brasillia seat....

Keg
28th May 2008, 14:50
JJW, with 27 captains scheduled to leave the Classic within two-three bid periods- I think- I suspect they may have been. Also, I thought the 767 promotion may have gone a bit bigger than it did.

Part of me also wonders if they timed the media release for this day due to the fact that all QF drivers would have seen today the massive transfer of crew off the 747 and put two and two together.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was zero consultation with the hard working allocations crew and that this will all need to be re-jigged! :eek:

Congrats to those who got slots.

Bug Smasher Smasher
29th May 2008, 02:17
once upon a time on a dark scary night i saw this great big storm sitting in my tiny brasillia seat.... Why was there a storm in your Braz? ;)

BUSDRIVER200
29th May 2008, 06:19
Beer baron, wake up......wake up.....you must be dreaming.

Last I looked/heard it was running at 3-5 years...

worng wrong wrong, don't know where you are looking but people who joined this year are set for training this time next year.

God bless the cadets, what a dream run!!! ...those hard yards in Darwin flying the Brasilia have really paid off!!!

The S/O's in question are not LOA161 cadets, we are talking direct entry pilots who joined this year have been awarded a slot in PER starting this time next year.

Poto
29th May 2008, 06:28
Quote:
The S/O's in question are not LOA161 cadets, we are talking direct entry pilots who joined this year have been awarded a slot in PER starting this time next year.

Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead:ugh:

position & hold
29th May 2008, 08:47
Some of the new(ish) intake cadets have been allocated FO slots, so have some of the direct entry people. Those SO's who missed out on slots because of LOA161 may have a win later this year if AIPA succeeds against the company in court.

Poto
29th May 2008, 09:15
Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead,Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead,Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead,Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead,Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead,Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead,Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead,Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead,Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead,Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead,Correct the little darlings with the seniority rouse got wide body slots on the east coast instead

Ok MUNT Now I sound like a broken record:=

Poto
29th May 2008, 10:28
Well MUNT nothing I have stated has been so immature about the issue.

Most are all quite 'little', they are all darlings- at least to me. And most agree (the ones I know anyway) that the whole LOA thing is a rouse! :p

No need to get your back up little fella;), Its all about facts champ:ouch:

BUSDRIVER200
29th May 2008, 11:20
The 'facts' are though poto that most of the LOA cadets didn't get a slot this time round.....and if they did its in the last bid period, they weren't senior enough for sydney. I am not trying to turn this into a discussion about LOA161 because I am :mad: bored of it. Most are able to handle it in a mature manner, cadets and people affected by it.....shame about you.

drshmoo
29th May 2008, 13:46
To all those that got F/O slots top stuff.

LOA161 - the saga continues

I didnt go for the FO slot in Perth but am intrigued as to their CAAC - whatever that is - on how they determine who is ready apart from seniority. People got slots from all over the place - above and below me. Some mates above me with similar experience to others got overlooked to junior guys.
Interesting

TL - RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrespect

drshmoo
29th May 2008, 13:52
Turn up to work, tired and hungry.

Watch a movie or two, eat too much. On arrival in port, drink to you fall over (so you can turn up tired and hungry)

Quite possibly the most insightfull peice I've ever read on here - and maybe why I didn't give up the sponsored beer drinking tour of the world just yet.

Mr.Buzzy
29th May 2008, 21:40
Yep, too bad wrestling the shiny levers isn't part of that "dream flying job"

bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

drshmoo
29th May 2008, 23:14
Hey Buzz, some of us pre 2nd officers were wrestling the shiny levers for years on rubbish GA and then regional airlines conditions - I'm aloud to enjoy living it up for a while. I've got another 35 years (barring medical or RAT falling over) to worry about that - plus turned down another window seat jet job in Oz over a year ago like lots of other guys did for a bigger picture lifestyle choice.
Go back to wrestling your own shiny lever:ok:

Grnd Hog
30th May 2008, 07:28
Never mind that "hard working allocations people" Tony. They have computers like everyone else mate. No need to kiss up to them, even though you may know them from hanging around QCC. We don't need bleeding hearts here buddy.

What a :mad:, I don't think he needs to suck up, and that would achieve ?? - I think he is just totally aware of what the 'real' process is! And if you had any idea at all maybe you would appreciate what actually happens. FYI - most of the allocation was done manually! And many late nights were spent on it.

Keg
30th May 2008, 08:23
derek, if only it were that simple. I've never done allocations in an airline but I've done rosters before and they're a dog no matter what way you cut it. Those who think it's a press of a button obviously don't understand that our ground staff work in the same dysfunctional environment and IT support systems as the rest of us bitch about on Qrewroom all the time. You're either too silly or too ignorant to realise this. That means the allocations crew 'wear' it. :rolleyes: They also put up with crap from pilots phoning them asking 'what should I do, woe is me'. :rolleyes: If they put up with anything like the crap that I've heard one of our F/Os try on a colleague (and friend) in QCC2 about a sim scheduling matter then they deserve my respect for that too.

As for hanging around QCC3, I've been on the non Ops side twice in the last seven months. Once to see Sean Golding about four weeks ago and three days ago to see pilot recruitment about some resources to do a QF pitch for AAFC cadets. I do try and drop in on a friend occasionally on the other side of QCC but I'd hardly call that 'hanging around'. I find it a source of irony that many line crew think I'm a company man because of my CRM stuff and most company men think I'm a rat bag because I'm bagging them and giving them a hard time when it's warranted. Personally I avoid QCC3 like the plague...particularly for the next few months. :eek:

By all means take a shot at me if you like- my history on PPRUNE of giving it to QF when it's needed is well known and I'm happy that speaks for itself- but I am in favour of giving credit where it's due. It's due for the work our allocations guys and gals have done over the last few months.

Finally, if you're actually going to have a shot using my name then my preference is to always have those conversations face to face- or at least over the phone- so we know who we're dealing with. Scheduling have my mobile number if you'd like to call.

Poto
30th May 2008, 10:33
Finally, if you're actually going to have a shot using my name then my preference is to always have those conversations face to face- or at least over the phone- so we know who we're dealing with

Never mind that "hard working allocations people" Tony.

I knew you could not keep out of the lime light after sale of the century;)
It all comes together:O

Mr.Buzzy
30th May 2008, 10:49
I'm aloud to enjoy living it up for a while.

I can't hear you Dr.Schpoonter! You need to talk... um.. can you speak.... um... Please talk..... what's the word?.... That's it... LOUDER!!!!
Sorry but my ears are a little blocked with all this jumpseat bull****.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

drshmoo
31st May 2008, 00:56
Hey champ, how about something witty instead of chasing typos:ok:

max autobrakes
31st May 2008, 10:56
Shouldn't the title have read,
QANTAS S/O TO CAPTAIN IN JUST 18 YEARS?:}

Rawrawhammer
31st May 2008, 11:26
autobrakes,

absolute GOLD :E
although it could also say "S/O to Capt in 18years on $200k+" but then again by that time it will be more like $20k+ and even that might be a goldmine.Looking forward to the future conditions of aviation!:O

Mstr Caution
31st May 2008, 11:59
8.4 years:8

Rawrawhammer
31st May 2008, 16:13
8.4 years x 2 :}

may be 8.4 years now but it sure wont be next year or the year after.

Keg
31st May 2008, 22:12
This from the CP a couple of days ago:

Those who missed out this year will see another significant allocation next time around. The training system is at full capacity and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

Sure things could change but I don't expect that next year will be all that smaller than this year.

LuckyQ
3rd Jun 2008, 02:45
That's good news for anyone who missed out and new recruits joining the company.

Any idea when the next round of offers for upgrade going to take place?

Keg
3rd Jun 2008, 14:16
May next year. It's a FY thing.

Ear Muffs
4th Jun 2008, 05:28
What about Residuals?

ejectx3
4th Jun 2008, 07:39
latest training slotes have s/o to capt in 9 years

Keg
4th Jun 2008, 12:45
Residuals are taken care of in the recent lot of allocations. It's all done as part of the process.....hence why it's a bit more complicated than just a push of the button.

astroboy55
4th Jun 2008, 14:44
QF SO to FO in 18 months

Yep...its true
:ok:

Beg Tibs
5th Jun 2008, 00:30
It was true 7 years ago too :ok:

engine out
5th Jun 2008, 00:46
It was true in 2001-2003, even with Sept 11th and SARs. Sometimes its up to the person, I know guys who have were SO's for twelve months and now been FO for five years while there mates are still SO because they havent wanted to upgrade, after all its all about "Choice".