PDA

View Full Version : Where to read about Missed Approach?

Quintilian
25th May 2008, 08:57
Hello!

I'm studying ATC at EPN (Sweden), and I'm currently reading for an exam.

Our reading list specifies that we should read about "Missed approach".
I've scanned all my documents (Eurocontrol Training Documents, 4444, A2/A11) but can't really find this mentioned anywhere.

Do anyone know where there might be any specific information regarding this issue?

Regards
TH

SINGAPURCANAC
25th May 2008, 10:09
Wau! what a question! I thought that I will find it in a second but :{
If it could help to you than it is "informal" info:
-Every flight ends at Missed approach point. If we are lucky than a/c will land at your airport.
-MAPt is pre-defined point by apropriate ATS authority at which crew must have visual reference to ground,runway,runway lights... If no, Missed approach procedure must be initiated and followed. Where and at which altitude will be MAPt is associated with states minimum . It is important to remember that under no cicumstances crew shall fly below/after MAPt withouh visual reference to...
Missed approach procedure alone ,represents very diffucult manouver i.e. crew has high workload in order to stabilize flight,from descending via horizontal to climbing leg and at the same time they must work with configuration, and the top of everything they should communicate with appropriate ATC unit to inform them about MA .
MA is written on charts and in case of radio communication failure crew will follow it as it is written. If you have r/t with crew than you could change missed approach procedure but only if you are allowed to do so.
Remember very few people died because of high speed/high altitude. But if a/c "meets" ground too fast... And missed aproach procedure is very close to ground level,so be carefull with those issues.
As I said it is informal and I hope that someone will give more precise references.

Aspiring ATCO
25th May 2008, 13:57
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4135975#post4135975

Second post quotes a source that seems to give a list of conditions when ATC has to initiate a missed approach. Try to find that document, could be useful.

milivoje
25th May 2008, 15:08
Try finding ICAO document 8168. You will find information about Missed Approach and any other instrument approach segment

SINGAPURCANAC
25th May 2008, 15:17
Just to be more precise,
Doc 8168,
Chapter 6,absolutelly enough.
I saw it this morning,but I was too lazy to open it. We have students for that purpose,but today they have day off.
Should I know it? Yes,I should,but I finished on-the-job trainning a long time ago.
and I have a friend down there,
Best regards,

Quintilian
25th May 2008, 15:35
Thanks a lot guys! :-)

Just found the doc. in question on the web, and it seems to explain it all in quite some detail!

Cheers
TH