View Full Version : Bird Strikes - Help

Skyhigh-Ulster
24th May 2008, 19:42
How often do bird strikes occur ?

Anyone experienced a bird strike at Belfast Harbour airport ?

eastern wiseguy
24th May 2008, 20:14
Dunno about our colleagues down the road but at Aldergrove we have a substantial number of bird strikes. They tend to be more regular at certain times of the year as birds migrate to and from this part of the world. We tend to have a bird scaring vehicle on constant patrol and during periods of severe bird activity this can increase to three.

Ranger 1
24th May 2008, 23:07
We have a high Birdstrike rate, but a large number of strikes is indicative of a good reporting system, our records look like an Ornithologists hand book!

what is very important is the composition of the strikes, such as are they from the Prioity group Gulls,Waders, Starlings Corvids etc, or if they involve multiple strikes from this group, if this is the case this should be a cause for concern & the Bird hazard control plan needs looking at as a matter of urgency, & expert help sought.

Good to see that you can increase the manpower to meet the increase in activity & someone is on constant patrol,:ok:

ps Check your PM's Skyhigh -Ulster.

Ops Guy
24th May 2008, 23:31
How often do bird strikes occur ?

Well it all depends on where the aerodrome is located and what's around it. Is it on the coast, are there woods near the airport (rookery's maybe), wetlands?

Also depends on how effective your bird hazard hazard management control is???????????????. ;)

Skyhigh-Ulster
25th May 2008, 18:47
Ranger - just wondering are any birds more dangerous than others if they hit a plane ?

Do you work in the harbour airport ?

PS - thanks for the PM i'll be in touch :ok:

Pilot Pete
25th May 2008, 19:04
just wondering are any birds more dangerous than others if they hit a plane ? Yes. A fat slag from Cardiff is much more dangerous than a blue tit (from anywhere). The bigger they are the more damage they do.....:p

PP

Skyhigh-Ulster
25th May 2008, 19:11
lol lol :)

Skyhigh-Ulster
26th May 2008, 17:57
Thanks for the chat today Ranger 1 - keep up the good work !!

am765
30th May 2008, 06:00
Scariest thing that has happened to me in the air was a near miss with a pelican.

Cruising along about 100nm south of sydney at 1000ft - just sore a white dot in my peripheral become a huge bird within about 3 seconds. I even ducked. It knew what it was doing though and simply skimmed above me and flew past. I must say that I almost shat myself.