PDA

View Full Version : tiger down

micromalc
24th May 2008, 16:17
I heard that a tiger moth out of Headcorn went down yesterday (Friday).I hope no one was hurt.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
24th May 2008, 17:20
Forced landing, no injuries, move along, nothing to report

micromalc
25th May 2008, 18:40
except, I now gather that the aircraft is a right off....shame....Tiger Moths don't grow on trees.....but at least the pilot walked away from it unharmed.

S-Works
25th May 2008, 18:48
except, I now gather that the aircraft is a right off....shame....Tiger Moths don't grow on trees.....but at least the pilot walked away from it unharmed.

Well technically they do being a wooden aircraft....... ;)

Rod1
25th May 2008, 18:53
I thought Tiger Moths were partly metal?;)

Rod1

Piper.Classique
25th May 2008, 19:16
I thought Tiger Moths were partly metal?;)
Nuts and bolts, cables, flying wires, engine etc. The rest is mostly wood, but the main problem is the person hours (oh, and getting a decent straight tree in the first place) Now how about a genetically modified spruce that would grow the spars to size? The twigs could do the rib sticks and so on.....:)
As to the fabric, could we persuade some flax plants to prepare themselves into a wing bag or four? Or shall we cheat and use dacron?
If I plant the trees now then in about forty years we could start cutting!

micromalc
25th May 2008, 19:32
Steady on chaps...just trying to say that it's sad to have another classic aircraft lost.....

'Chuffer' Dandridge
26th May 2008, 08:09
As I said, a forced landing, not much to say. It may be a write off due to the cost of restoring it exceeding the declared value, rather than the amount of damage inflicted.......:{

For those who dont know, yet still engage keyboard without knowing the facts, a Tiger Moth is a steel tube airframe, with wooden wing construction, covered in fabric. The engine, tailskid and wheel hubs are metal.

Plenty more Tiger Moths around......:ok:

shortstripper
26th May 2008, 08:14
These days Tigermoths rarely get written off for long. Somebody will buy the wreck if the owner doesn't want the bother, and within a year or two it will be back :ok:

SS

Piper.Classique
26th May 2008, 11:30
A Tiger Moth has a metal structure.

Fuselage. Not wings