PDA

View Full Version : Airline Pilots!

chrisy08
24th May 2008, 12:00
Hi All,
What qualifications do you need to become an commercial airline pilot?
Thanks.

Put1992
24th May 2008, 12:12
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

Signed, sealed, delivered

chrisy08
24th May 2008, 12:29
Thank You for all that information. Do you also have information on Co-Pilots?

bucket_and_spade
24th May 2008, 13:02
That link applies to those getting into the industry i.e. becoming a co-pilot (first officer) - there aren't different training programmes for those who want to start as captains off the bat!

B&S

chrisy08
24th May 2008, 15:07
Aww right i did not know that.
Thank You
C.

bucket_and_spade
24th May 2008, 15:49
First officer's get promoted to captain after gaining hours and experience.

Some airlines that are expanding rapidly might offer a low-houred, suitable copilot a captaincy after only a few years service. More established airlines (e.g. national flag carriers such as BA) can have waits of 10-15 years before suitable candidates are likely to become captains.

B&S

chrisy08
24th May 2008, 16:18
Ok Thank You. I understand you need GCSEs in English, Maths and Science which I have C's in. I also see you have to have A Levels in Maths and Physics. I feel a fool now as I am not at all good at Physics where as I am taking other A Levels. Is there anyway around A Levels to become an Airline Pilot e.g. Diploma or something like that?
Thanks

bucket_and_spade
24th May 2008, 16:27
You don't need A levels to begin training to become an airline pilot - the very basic requirement is GCSEs. Having said that, you will no doubt need A levels if you apply for any of the "sponsorship" opportunities out there and the selectors may ask for science subjects. Having a degree may also make you more attractive on these schemes.

All the answers you need are in the posted link above - it might take a few days of reading to get through it though!