PDA

View Full Version : An RVSM Question

AirNoServicesAustralia
23rd May 2008, 04:43
Hi Guys,

The scenario I am about to suggest is unlikely I know but I have to set parameters for a new ATC System we have been developing.

I have an aircraft at FL285 Negative RVSM (I know unlikely in Europe etc. but not impossible out here with all our military due regard flights that regularly go at VFR levels even though we have to provide an IFR separation service), I have another RVSM approved at FL295, do I have separation, or should the system create an STCA (Short Term Conflict Alert). If an aircraft is Negative RVSM at FL295 (Neg RVSM Military aircraft are allowed in RVSM airspace here in the Middle East) and an RVSM approved aircraft at FL285 do you have separation. If not, why is it different from FL290 Neg RVSM versus FL280 below?

I hope the question makes sense and if I am asking a stupid question then give me some stupid answers I guess. As I said I know in the ICAO level table FL295 is not a valid level but I am needing to set rules for a computer system and computers don't take kindly to "don't worry about this scenario as ICAO says it isn't allowed".

Thanks.

Dream Land
23rd May 2008, 04:50
Why would the RVSM aircraft be at FL295?

SM4 Pirate
23rd May 2008, 05:04
I would say FL285 NEG RVSM and FL295 RVSM Approved is not a STD, because the RVSM band applies for 1000 foot protection from FL290, not from FL295, FL285 + 1000 isn't ok unless RVSM approved, unlike FL280 + 1000.

It's about the 'tollerence' applied to the non-RVSMer in this case, it's not about the one approved as such. Ask yourself what sep would you need if the Non-RVSMer was at FL290, or FL300 what minimum would you apply above or below? So I'd be applying those "standards" to any level above FL280.

Jat Jet
24th May 2008, 09:01
It is a peculiar situtaion, In my opinion the aircrfat should not be given VFR level within RVSM band, if it is provided than above F290 it should be provided either 2000 feet vertical separation or prescribed radar/non radar Lateral Separation Minima. Regarding STCA, it is function of the Radar system and input provided by the ANSP. If the software is designed to keep 2000 feet separation btn Non RVSM above F290 thewn STCA will be generated, if software is designed for RVSM band staring at Fl300 it wont be generated ( I dont think this would be the case)

:)

Radar Pete
24th May 2008, 11:56
:hmm: as opposed to an unprofessional ATC Consultant??

ANSA
Since the concept of RVSM relies on the accuracy of equipment then the safe and perhaps 'logical' suggestion would be to apply 2000' for any flights above FL280 (for non-RVSM). FL290 is the first available FL in RVSM but FL280 is the last available non-RVSM level and therefore anything above must comply to RVSM standard?

See, it is for free!

WhatMeanPullUp
2nd Jun 2008, 14:00
Why would they want to fly at FL285 anyway, is that because they are just being anally retentive or what? The point here is that civil traffic does not use 500ft flight levels unless of course it is emergency separation or they are in the lower airspace i.e.the quadrantal rule so what is the problem with the military? :rolleyes: