PDA

View Full Version : Private (PPL) flying in the USA

Capt Niff Naff
22nd May 2008, 20:32
Peeps,
:confused:I have searched t'web for an answer to this but need your help. :ugh:
I have blagged a jolly to the States next month, and would like to do some recreational aviation in , say, a C150/C172. I am revalidating my single piston qual shortly, but am unable to find any info about GA in the states post 9/11 for a Brit visitor.
Anybody - help? :confused:
Thanks in advance for all the correct answers - as well as all the banter!:)

Shunter
22nd May 2008, 20:35
A month is cutting it seriously fine, but if you have a JAA or CAA PPL, this is what's required: http://flyerwiki.netsplit.com/wiki/FAA_Piggy-Back_License

I'm not personally familiar with what (if any) arrangements are in place for non-civilian licenses (just saw the thread link on the front page and thought I'd call in).

Capt Niff Naff
22nd May 2008, 20:42
Shunter TVM,
I do have alittle more than a month - as to the £ 40, well.
I have a lapsed PPL, but I do have a JAR ATPL which I shall use as a v expensive PPL.
Capt NN

dublinpilot
23rd May 2008, 12:26
I have a lapsed PPL, but I do have a JAR ATPL which I shall use as a v expensive PPL.

Do you have the appropriate class rating attached the ATPL? I don't know for sure, but I would think that you would have to have a valid class rating, appropraite to the rating you want issued on the FAA based on PPL, before applying for the FAA based on PPL.

dp

BackPacker
23rd May 2008, 12:30
Start here:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

If your ATPL is still annotated with a valid and current SEP(A) class rating you should have no problems. If your SEP(A) class rating has expired, you need to renew it. I don't know if this is easier in the US or the UK. Might want to contact the FAA about it.

UncleNobby
24th May 2008, 15:35
What type of info are you looking for (most responses here are regarding license validation etc)?
GA flying in the States is really enjoyable (I've only flown in the North East) - a lot of destinations to choose from.