PDA

View Full Version : Headset Help

HighLow
22nd May 2008, 16:06
Hi All,
i need some advice, currently looking into purchasing BOSE Aviation Headset X. Flying the 737-8 and was wondering how it can be powered.

The Headset comes in two versions,
AA batteries or Powered from the Aircraft

MY question is on the 737-8 , is there a power jack available for this kind of headset,

Some say the TELEX is powered off the A/C but how

Shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it

HighLow

Notso Fantastic
22nd May 2008, 16:38
I had a highly expensive Telex 850ANR for use on a 737NG. Under no circumstances would I recommend this make headset, although it does work. the reason being that the headphone/headband attachment, which is pivoted, is INCREDIBLY flimsy and fragile. Just pushing the headset in its Telex case into a full briefcase did for it when I just pushed it down- it broke under almost no pressure. Having shattered the pivot, I'm told it cannot be repaired, and you should see Telex's European Customer Support (not!). £375 worth! Try the Sennheiser ANR instead.

It uses the 2 Boeing jackplug system which powers the headset. Works fine. I find myself using aircraft headsets now on full volume- the ANR used to be about half way! They are GOOD! And that is one ear.

Having given my opinion on the Telex 850ANR, I have come by another cheaply (eBay!), but it has a single Airbus plug. The Headset repair shop say they can swap out the plug for twin Boeing ones. I figure I might be able to do it cheaper myself being an elementary solderer and computer putter-togetherer. Can anyone tell me if it is easy to get inline connectors for this that are strong enough to absorb me pulling and turning to get a cup of tea? I had thought of using the older headset lead going into the new headset lead- that way it would be straight colour connections.

Dream Land
23rd May 2008, 02:16
I believe it can be powered by the aircraft if it has the CAP-5 plug as in Airbus, not sure about the Boeing.

SNS3Guppy
23rd May 2008, 02:28
I considered an aircraft powered one, but went with the battery powered one because it can be used anywhere...including riding in back. The batteries last a very long time.

Personally, a little lightweight airman 750 works just fine in the 747. A bose seems like a little overkill.

rubik101
23rd May 2008, 07:28
Having flown B737s of all stripes for over 30 years I would suggest you use the headset that comes with the aircraft.
I still get through the hearing test every year so why waste your money?

yrvld
23rd May 2008, 07:47
For the B 737, do not choose the Telex. You have poor feedback in the earphones, and the unit is rather flimsy.
Any of the variants of the Sennheiser HMEC (http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/5532) series will do a far better job.
Just an opinion though