PDA

View Full Version : National Arboretum - RAF Boy Entrant Memorial

ricardian
22nd May 2008, 15:48
I'm posting this here because many RAF Boy Entrants were groundcrew and quite a few became drivers, airframe and other varieties of aircrew; this was particularly true of the pre-1939 Boy Entrants.
The section of the National Arboretum's guidebook devoted to the RAF Boy Entrant Memorial states "Many of the boys came from orphanages and underprivileged or troubled backgrounds while others were offered the choice between joining the RAF or being given a prison sentence."
I agree that many of the boys came from orphanages and from under-privileged or troubled backgrounds but I was incensed by the claim that some were given a choice between the RAF and a prison sentence. There is not a shred of evidence to support this claim and I understand that the RAF Boy Entrant Association has contacted the National Arboretum about this claim.
--
Bruce Fletcher
38th Entry (Telegraphist) Boy Entrant 1959-61
Stronsay, Orkney

cazatou
22nd May 2008, 19:35
I fully support you in this.

1. The Boys could not have been sent to Prison because of their age - you only go to Prison as an adult : ie 18 years old or older.

2. Conscription only applied to Adults - 18 years old or older.

3. They could not be made to enlist as enlistment is entirely voluntary.

Of course, it may be that some were coerced by people whose duty it was to care for them - but if that could be proved then I would suspect that the level of damages awarded in Court of Law against those people would make a few eyes water.

mstjbrown
22nd May 2008, 19:48
In the early 1950's it used to be said that the two curses of the Royal Air Force were boy entrants and Rolls razors. The hideous clacking of the latter as they were stropped sullied the air on many a barrack room morning. I say nothing of the former - I daren't.

ricardian
24th May 2008, 06:09
The guidebook goes on to say The boys served an apprenticeship and on reaching their eighteenth birthday they could either leave to take up a trade or join the Royal Air Force. I signed on for twelve years "man's service" when I was just over 16 and arrived at RAF Driffield when I was three months short of my 18th birthday; I certainly don't recollect being given any option of leaving when I was 18.
And the dodgy information in the National Arboretum's handbook is being quoted by the guides who conduct parties around the various military memorials.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
24th May 2008, 12:21
January 1964.

At the age of 15 years and 8 months I signed on for 9 years regular and 3 in the reserve - the 9 years to start from the age of 18. I had 3 months to decide wether I liked boy entrants or not and during that time I could elect to purchase my discharge for the sum of £30 IIRC. After that time the only way out was to get thrown out. Weekly pay was £1.10s.0p (£1.50). Plus about £1.00 compulsulary put into a savings account for when we reached pass-out after 18 months. It was extremly difficult for many of the boys to get their hands on £30 so they just stuck with it. I do not recall any boys who were there other than through their own choice.
Most of the boys were from the Secondary Modern school system with little or no educational qualifications but the RAF showed faith in us, gave us a trade and educated us. I know of several who have attained OU degrees. In the end many attained SNCO/WO rank and quite a few attained commissions and at least one to Gp Capt. As stated previously many went on the become aircrew, both pilots and other categories. In my 22 years mans service I hope that I gave back to the service some of the help they gave to me. It was always a two-way system. I do not regret a single minute of my time.

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'