PDA

View Full Version : Finishing off my PPL

pob55
22nd May 2008, 13:36
Mainly for the beauty of the country and also for the price of flying. I went to New Zealand to get a PPL license. Unfortunately I failed my final flying test.
Therefore, now back in England where I live, I'd like to know what exactly I have to do to finish it off. Do I have to reset everything (all the written papers or just R/T and Air Law? Do my flying hours count towards an UK PPL?
I heard that I have the possibility to find an accredited NZ examiner/instructor, retake the final test, get my license (under NZ regulation) and then ask the CAA/ UK for an equivalence!
If you have knowledge in that matter. Many thanks to let me know.

BackPacker
22nd May 2008, 13:44
If (and that's a big if) you are able to find a NZ qualified instructor/examiner, you can do the flight test with him/her and get an NZ PPL.

As far as I know, an NZ PPL is good enough for the CAA to let you fly G-reg in Day VFR conditions within the UK. If you want to take a G-reg foreign, need to have permission (not that hard to obtain, but formally required AFAIK) from the countries you intend to fly in.

You can't easily "convert" your NZ PPL to a UK CAA-administered JAA PPL until you have at least 100 hours or so PIC time (check LASORS for the exact number). Until that time you've got to do all the theory exams and the flight test again, just as if you've never obtained a PPL from another country. Only when you have 100 hours PIC will some theory exams be waived: I think you only need to do three exams plus a flight test instead of seven exams.

So to be honest, the best course of action would probably be to forget the NZ theory exams and flight test altogether. Just go to a UK school, show your logbook (which should be properly annotated as 'flight training complete' or something like that by the NZ school), fly a few hours with them to get to know UK airspace and regulations, do the UK theory exams and the UK flight test.

pob55
22nd May 2008, 17:12
Hello Backpacker,

Many thanks for the info.
My first intention was to go back to NZ and finish it off there.When I've got my license. Just ask for an equivalence once back to England. I presume with this option I still need to reset R/T and Air Law?. In this case it seems to be more appropriate to reset all the papers here + do few hours towards the final test as you suggested. I'm still hesitating...
In the meantime I'm preparing my R/T paper!

pembroke
22nd May 2008, 19:49
Re the above, I was asked for advice on this problem and I generally concur with BackPacker. However I suggested a visit to the CAA to check whether the NZ hours flown would be valid for a JAR PPL. If the CAA are happy with the hours, with the necessary verification from the NZ flight school, then all that is required would be the 7 ground exams, an RT practical, some additional training, and a JAR skill test.
If a NZ examiner could be found here in the UK, and if the NZ CAA agreed, I guess the flight test could conducted here.
Any further thoughts very welcome