PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Dominican Republic

discojam
21st May 2008, 19:48
I hope I'm posting this in the right place, sorry if it's not! I'm looking to fly to the Dominican Republic sometime in July have been searching on the internet for cheap flights as I'm going out there to visit my friend who is a rep out there so only need to pay for a flight, the cheapest I've found so far is £700-£3,000 depending on airline and dates etc, I just wondered if there was a cheaper way of doing it like calling the airlines and asking them to notify me of any cancellations? (one of my friends suggested trying this)
Is there any other options available to me?
Also I'm going to call First Choice because they offer some sort of discount if you're going out to see friends or family that rep but not sure what sort of discount this will be so have got to find that out as well.
Any advice appreciated
Thank you
x

FWOF
21st May 2008, 20:31
I find www.skyscanner.net (http://www.skyscanner.net) a very useful site, I use it everytime I'm investigating a new route.

discojam
21st May 2008, 20:38
thank you for your reply! I shall check that out now :)

discojam
21st May 2008, 20:48
I just checked out that website but it doesnt seem to fly to Puerto Plata which is the airport that I'd need to fly into, i'll keep looking lol..:{

discojam
21st May 2008, 21:32
have just searched on first choice and found one for £559 inc tax which is the cheapest so far!!leaving 13th July coming back the 27th, I had also searched for flights so I can be out there for 3 weeks but couldnt find any is there any particular reason for this?
In peoples experiences should i leave it nearer to the time to book and try and get it cheaper or do flights normally stay about the same?
any advice thankyou everyone :)

PaperTiger
21st May 2008, 21:32
£392 ex-MAN 16-24 July
£455 ex-LGW 14-22 July

URL follows in a PM.

discojam
21st May 2008, 21:35
oohh thank you I shall check my pm if i can find where it is lol:D

flowy50
21st May 2008, 22:59
try moneysupermarket.com they are good put you on to all airlines :ok:

UniFoxOs
22nd May 2008, 11:33
TOM have just quoted me £435 on their web site, BHX - POP on 1/7, return 15/7, might be a good option.

UFO

Skintman
22nd May 2008, 12:36
Also worth trying to book a cheap holiday and just use the flight and leave the accommadation. There are often some great deals to Dom Rep in the summer before the schools break up.

Best of luck.:ok:

Skintman

discojam
22nd May 2008, 14:52
Thanks for the replies I shall check out the holiday option to see if it may be cheaper doing it that way..
Also UniFoxOs at the risk of sounding stupid (sorry) what is TOM? That sounds like a good deal, I forgot to put in my original post that I'm housesitting for my friend and looking after her cat so cant leave until she comes back off holiday which is the 7th July so unfortunately wouldnt be able to use those dates, although I could always see if she could find someone else to catsit for the last week will have to check out my options!

Thanks so much again for all your advice it is much appreciated!
x

Pax Vobiscum
22nd May 2008, 14:58
TOM is the ICAO (http://www.icao.int) airline code for Thomsonfly (http://www.thomsonfly.com)

UniFoxOs
22nd May 2008, 16:02
cant leave until she comes back off holiday which is the 7th July so unfortunately wouldnt be able to use those dates

I only picked the dates at random, you could try others on their website, they tend to be weekly flights there as they are for package holidays (good idea of Skintman's there) so try later in the month on the same weekdays. Thought BHX might be good for you if coming by train, there is a direct link from the station to the airport.

UFO