PDA

View Full Version : First NAV

Batesy
21st May 2008, 14:41
Hey, I'm starting my first nav next week, just wondering what kind of things should I expect?
I've been studying the navigation book, thinking it will just be calculating tas and the such.

Any info would help,
Thanks.

vanHorck
21st May 2008, 14:59
it s a secret.... ;)

Everything or most of what ypu ve read about.... the real McCoy

jollyrog
21st May 2008, 15:17
Do your sums properly. Double check them all, from scratch.

Mark your route carefully on your chart with permanent marker. Double check it. Also draw some little arrows with the forecast wind speed and direction on the chart around your route, it helps to visualise drift as you rotate the chart during flight.

Rotate the chart as you fly, for the heading you're flying. Keep it real.

Decide on an airspeed and fly it.

Do your best with the wind speeds from the Met Office forecasts. Yes, they're only forecasts and nobody really knows the wind at 2,000 feet, but if you use the data you've got to the best of your ability, you're more likely to end up where you want to be.

Calculate your wind drift corrections carefully and do it a second time, just to be sure. Don't forget the magnetic variation and compass card for your aircraft.

Keep the DI aligned. Check it at least every 15 minutes, more often if you can. Fly an accurate heading, based on your PLOG.

Constantly check ground features, to confirm that you are where you think you should be.

Use recognisable features for your turning points and don't start timing until you've completed the turn and are on your new heading.

If possible, don't start the first leg from your home aerodrome. Use a nearby town/feature that you know already and can reach top of climb before you get to it, as your starting point for the first leg. Do your top of climb FREDA check there, before starting that first leg.

If your calculations say something is 5½ minutes, then it's 5½ minutes. Not 5 and not 6.

Don't rush anything. If you think something is wrong or you're not sure, slow down, fly an orbit or two and have a think about it. Note your timings, so you can resume when you've got it straight in your head.

If you really, really think you are wrong, unsure of position or lost, calm down, slow down, fly an orbit and get help on the radio. They can and will help.

Decide before the flight which ATS units you intend to speak with, which radio nav aids (if any) you intend to use. Note the frequencies for these clearly on your PLOG. Don't bother talking to anyone unless you need to, there is a benefit or unless they call you. Don't feel the need to take a flight information service just because you want to use the radio. It can be distracting and offputting, especially when you've fumbled the radio call, had to say it all twice, noted the response and answered a couple of questions. During which, you've been 20 degrees off track for two minutes.

All of these things work for me but no doubt many more experienced and knowledgeable people will be along shortly to add/detract!

There's something very satisfying about flying a dead reckoning heading for the prescribed number of minutes during training, then finding yourself at exactly the right place, on time!

Have fun.

foxmoth
21st May 2008, 16:18
Some good bits there JR, but some I would take issue with - first, do not draw your track with permanent marker unless you do not want to use the Chart for very long. Also, don't "Constantly check ground features, to confirm that you are where you think you should be." unless that is what your instructor tells you to do - select good ground features at regular intervals (I use 6 minutes -ask your instructor why 6 mins if you do not know), check your position with these, then Put the map away, look out the window and fly the aircraft until approaching your next feature, this way you are more likely to see your features rather than miss them staring at the chart.
As far as "If you really, really think you are wrong, unsure of position or lost, calm down, slow down, fly an orbit and get help on the radio. They can and will help." yes if you are solo, but Batesy is talking about his first nav and he will be with an instructor for the first couple.
As far as what to expect though, it will probably be a 2 leg (ie out and back) nav route, you will expect to do the planning with the instructor showing you how to do it, showing you what to put on the chart, what to put on a nav log and how to work out headings/times etc. - though if you can sort out the whizz wheel beforehand that will help save a lot of time. you will then fly the route, again with help from your instructor after a briefing explaining techniques to use. I am sure your instructor will tell you what he expects anyway.:cool:

BackPacker
21st May 2008, 16:47
What I found most challenging in learning to navigate was flying the aircraft subconsciously.

Up 'till then all the flying was done consciously. Turning, climbing, maintaining a heading, altitude, airspeed, doing checks and looking for other traffic: everything was done with 100% focus. When starting nav, you have to do all those things continuously but subconsciously because your mind is busy elsewhere.

So instead of focusing on the altimeter you put the aircraft into a climb attitude with the correct speed, trim it, check everything is alright, make a mental note of your vertical speed and focus on something else. Every 30 seconds you glance back at the altimeter and VSI to see if everything is going as planned and only a few seconds before leveling off becomes leveling off first on your mind again. In level flight, you trim the aircraft and then it's just a glance at the altimeter every now and then to see if you're still there.

Same for heading changes. Instead of ticking off the degrees on the DI you roll the aircraft into an appropriate bank, check your progress every 10 seconds, and only consciously look at the DI again when the aircraft is more or less on the appropriate heading, to fine-tune the heading.

It's challenging, but lots of fun!

PompeyPaul
21st May 2008, 18:05
select good ground features at regular intervals (I use 6 minutes -ask your instructor why 6 mins if you do not know), check your position with these, then Put the map away, look out the window and fly the aircraft until approaching your next feature, this way you are more likely to see your features rather than miss them staring at the chart.
Completely agree. The hardest thing about nav'ing was not doing the drift calculations etc etc. It was learning that maintaining height, maintaining heading, maintainin speed gets you to your destination whilst the map does not.

It took immense effort to NOT get the map out every couple of minutes to stare at. Whenever you do that, your heading drifts, so does your altitude and so does your speed. That's how you miss your destination and get lost.

When you start naving the map is as addictive as crack cocaine. It's as hard a habit to break, but it's the secret. Trust your PLOG put the map away.

bjornhall
21st May 2008, 18:47
It took immense effort to NOT get the map out every couple of minutes to stare at. Whenever you do that, your heading drifts, so does your altitude and so does your speed. That's how you miss your destination and get lost.

When you start naving the map is as addictive as crack cocaine. It's as hard a habit to break, but it's the secret. Trust your PLOG put the map away.

That is funny; it's exactly what I think/would have thought. Was taught to do the exact opposite; map in hand at all times, only pick the PLOG up to note waypoint passages... :{ Argument being that I'm VFR and should be looking out the window.

I don't like it one bit; have decided to do everything exactly as told in training and not even begin to consider changing anything until I get my PPL, but I have a strong feeling I will reverse this practice at PPL + ½ hour. I want to be looking out in order to spot traffic, not staring down on the ground to identify some totally uninteresting little lake 4 mins short of my waypoint.

deltaxray
21st May 2008, 19:27
I would also say keep an eye out for some nice fields......instructors like pulling the power when things are running smoothly:}

jollyrog
21st May 2008, 19:49
Permanent marker is fine on a laminated chart. The CAA charts don't last too long anyway because they're always updating them, but if you erase the lines by scribbling over them with a whiteboard (non permanent) marker, then wipe with a tissue, it doesn't wreck the chart.

Cleaning it with solvents, as I've seen some people do, is a different story.

I appreciate the debate about how often to look at the chart, but I wrote what I've been taught and it works for me. I also find it easier when an ATSU suddenly asks me my positon - I know where I am now, not where I was six minutes ago or where I think I should be.

The original poster should do as his Instructor says with chart reference, that's what the Instructor will want to see and that's what he's paying a lot of money to be taught.

Piper.Classique
21st May 2008, 20:20
Marking charts....
Buy the cd, print out your route after you have drawn it on the computer. I use mileages rather than times for my check marks but to each their own. You have one A4 sheet at a time as you fly, with the laminated chart as well if you like in case you get a real mega diversion. Scribble away, then throw the used A4 sheets in the bin after landing. This way you can write in your positions during flight with a big x on the map with a time every time you get a positive fix. I used to use photocopies until the digital map arrived.....
Oh, and forget fancy kneeboards. A real ripoff. just buy a plain clipboard with a pen holder. Laminate anything you want to remember and glue it to the clipboard.

You don't need a DI for VFR. Fly from distant landmark (water tower, funny colour field, whatever) to distant landmark. For turns either time them or estimate a new reference before you start, then check the compass when stable wings level.

Use a 500 000 or 250 000 depending on your cruising speed.

......instructors like pulling the power when things are running smoothly:}

That is because the engine may do the job for them, so they like to know you might actually be able to park your a/c safely when you are on your own. You could even consider choosing a route that gives you an out in the event of silence up front, and allow this consideration to influence your choice of cruising altitude :)
Luddite.......I know, but it works.

Batesy
22nd May 2008, 03:43
Wow, I really didn't expect such an in depth answer from you guys. I really appreciate your time for helping. Thanks!