PDA

View Full Version : Good news at Haverfordwest.

vee-tail-1
21st May 2008, 10:45
As many know there was a proposal by the local council owners to impose £5M public liability insurance on all aircraft operating into & out of EGFE.
We base operators formed an airport users association to fight this. There was much heated discussion in the group, but a softly softly approach to the council was adopted. Result was a meeting with the council risk manager, and estates officer which went much better than anyone expected. The risk manager now knows much more about light aviation and has removed the £5M requirement. We in turn have taken on board his warnings of high personal injury awards in aviation related court cases. The council meanwhile have formed an airport operators forum in order to consult with us and progress future policy.
A win win situation all round :):)

PS We still hav'nt sorted the refuelling situation at weekends but that will be fixed soonest now we all working together down here.

Come back to Pembrokeshire everyone.

Oldpilot55
21st May 2008, 17:16
I have fond memories from Withybush..gliding in 1966, I think, as a schoolkid. John Minchin was the instructor if anyone there remembers that name. The weather was superb, as was the gliding and a weekly air display at RN Brawdy..magic.

LysanderV8
21st May 2008, 18:09
I'm planning to fly in on Saturday 7 June to visit family. Can you confirm that fuel will be available? What's the current price out of interest

Thanks

Lysander

vee-tail-1
21st May 2008, 20:26
Lysander V8
Sadly we are unlikely to have our weekend fuel problem sorted out by June 7th. Also the cost of avgas is currently an eye watering £1.59 per litre.
Some of us are making the short hop up to Aberporth where there is no landing fee if you fill up with their much less expensive fuel. I suggest you refuel at Aberporth (give them a call to confirm) on the way home from Haverfordwest.
Main problem for us is the contract with an expensive fuel supplier, and an inoperative credit card fuel pump meant to cover weekend refuelling.

LysanderV8
22nd May 2008, 05:49
OK, thanks for the tip Vee-Tail.

Lysander

gamekeeper/poacher
6th Jun 2008, 13:44
V-Tail didn't realise that you ran the airport!!!