PDA

View Full Version : When to File the flight plan to travel abroad?

Fastair345
20th May 2008, 23:17
Will be travelling to France from Durham Tees and plan to uplift fuel in Southend to cover the return journey as well.

When we book out (and a telecon to S/E ) over the radio this will cover our flightplan to Southend but when should the paper plan be filed and who with for the overseas flight (any atc unit?)...?

If it is done prior to the initial flight to the south of the country it could be quite conceivable a 30min delay could result with fueling and upper air winds etc.

Would not want to raise the alerting services if still waiting for the bowser to arrive!!......appologies if this sounds a silly question.

Fastair

Shine On
21st May 2008, 08:37
If VFR you can file the flight plan up to 30mins before ETD. Southend or DTV may be able to file the plan for you. If not you can fax the plan to Heathrow flight plans (sorry I don't have the number to hand). If you file the plan in advance remember to include the date of flight in the remarks section. It used to be that the correct format would be DOF/YYMMDD. I'm not sure what briefing areas are availabe to pilots at EGNV or EGMD but there sould be copies of the relevant documents(AIP'S) that would provide guidance on filing flight plans.
With reference to the alerting services, if you become aware that you will not be departing close to the ETD, you can ask EGMD to put a delay on your flight plan. Once airbourne from EGMD to France, EGMC will activate your plan by sending a departure message to your destination, alternate and other relevant units along your route. All the time you are in contact with someone, you can always update your ETA with them if you feel it's necessary. One important point is to always advise the ATC unit when you are leaving their frequency. It also helps if you advise them of the next frequency you will be going to. This helps provide a "paper trail" should overdue action be needed. Hope this helps. Enjoy the trip. :cool:

Heathrow flight plans tel:- 020 8750 2615/2616
fax:-020 8750 2617/2618
If you fax the flight plan, remember to put a contact number in the remarks just in case any part of the plan is illegible.
I found the number by doing a search on the CAA website. I found a "Safety sense leaflet 20 VFR flight plans". Might be worth a look.

radar707
21st May 2008, 12:34
you could file the plan online:

http://www.flightplanningonline.co.uk

Shunter
21st May 2008, 17:27
If the flight begins or finishes in France you can also use OLIVIA:
http://olivia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/index.php?lang=en

Quite useful, especially since the new NATS online flight planning system requires them to post you a letter with your login details.

Fastair345
21st May 2008, 23:05
Cheers for the responses....shunter radar and shine on..

All usefull info...Have registered with NATS and the olivia site.

Also downloaded the CAA documents CAP 694 and the safety leaflet as suggested that looks like a simplified version of the above.

By the time I have read these and logged on to the sites I'll know more about what I should already !

Cheers again for the help :ok:

Fastair345