PDA

View Full Version : NQY 6th May Ryan Air

belongins
19th May 2008, 12:46
hi
A friend of mine reported that he had an 'unsual flight' into NQY on the 6th May on a Ryan Air 737-800.

he said the ac appraoch NQY and over flew at @5000ft and then returned out over the sea and circled for a bit before making a normal approach and landing only to be greated by suited and booted fire crews.

in his words
737-800, 2 circuits over newquay/ atlantic on approach, then land, taxi all around the whole of the airport for about 20 mins(normally straight off and park), then taxi to stand surrounded by firecrews

Anybody shed any light on what happened or what may have happened

Cheers
B

Raven30
19th May 2008, 12:58
What was the departure airfield and what time of day was the flight?

belongins
19th May 2008, 13:10
He did tell me but i have forgotten - it was from outside the UK and not sure on the time - i will check back with the info
Barry

belongins
19th May 2008, 13:12
It was inbound from Girona and according to the FR website there is only one flight on a Tue which arrives at NQY @ 0855hrs

Barry

Raven30
19th May 2008, 13:21
The "unusual" approach pattern was an NDB approach to RW12 - due to no ILS on this runway and a refusal by Ryanair to accept a PAR (military precision talkdown). The procedure involves the pattern you described. The longer than normal taxi pattern was due to one of the taxiways being unavailable because of work in progress, and the firecrews were in attendance to provide fire cover for a refuel - the Girona and Alicante flights almost always take on fuel during the turn round, and the firecrews are always requested to attend when refuels are carried out with passengers on board.

belongins
19th May 2008, 13:23
Awesome and thanks very much this will no doubt settle his curiosity
thanks very much
Barry