PDA

View Full Version : R610 - What's all that about then?

Humaround
18th May 2008, 19:53
Why is about half of Scotland a Restricted Area? it seems a little unreasonable...

:confused:

NorthSouth
18th May 2008, 20:09
Set up in 1981 to allow Tornados to do automatic low-level terrain-following flight at night and in IMC. Scary stuff! Used by F-111s too in their day and I guess F-15Es still use it, but the numbers are a lot lower than they were even 10 years ago so I suspect not that much use is made of it.
NS

PPRuNe Radar
19th May 2008, 13:33
3 Tornado GR4 squadrons plus the Operational Conversion Unit are based at RAF Lossiemouth, so it still gets regular useage.

The areas are not active for large parts of the day, i.e. available every day up until 1500 Local and every day all day during the weekend (FRI to SUN inclusive) and public holidays.

You can also get clearance to cross R610C and R610D from Tain Range if no military aircraft are in the area.

Clearance to operate within the areas can also be given with permission from the Low Flying Booking Cell in advance, if not booked for military activity. It's a Freephone number, so it doesn't even cost you anything. If available, you will then get a clearance to operate lasting 3 1/2 hours from the time of your call.

In an emergency, procedures exist to obtain a clearance to transit.

Not unreasonable in my book. Pilots might have to do a bit of leg work to find the procedures and make the calls, but it's surely not beyond their capacity to do so ?