Strobe lights
18th May 2008, 19:51
Alguien sabe algo de este programa?

http://americanflyers.net/about/copa.htm

Saludos

Panama Jack
19th May 2008, 16:50
Lo que es:

Another scummy "buy-a-job" program appealing to European rich-kids (who just want to fly) at an airline that is too cheap to want to pay for required training of pilots and an US aviation school of dubious reputation posting beautiful pictures of big shiny jets and cashing in big coin.

A summary of all that is bad in aviation. :yuk:

chock2chock
19th May 2008, 20:05
There is no talk of price on the website, is it sponsored or "pay for rating and job" a la ryanair. Kind of sad its being made available to Europeans too- its not at all a reciprocal type of thing .

chock2chock
19th May 2008, 20:16
aah ya veo...

No es gratis!

http://americanflyers.net/about/copa_1.htm

Bri85
19th May 2008, 22:09
!Claro que no! just take your time if your still working with your ratings, dont worry they are many other ways. And Copa will always be there. There's no reason people should pay $$$$$ just to sit left seat in a big jet.

Panama Jack
20th May 2008, 02:47
This is a right seat, not a left seat job. Left seat jobs at COPA are being offered with a good salary packet because COPA pilots are jumping ship, fed up with low pay and poor management over the years. Experienced expats are being brought in attracted by decent packages (or the planes stay parked).

It is the right seat jobs going to lower-time pilots, who enhance their qualifications by willing to pay $41,500 USD-- that is the going rate quoted right off the American Flyers website.

COPA Airlines is not a low-cost carrier (just check out the fares sometime). It is a traditional, legacy carrier with a low-cost structure-- thanks to the low cost of labor in Central America. This is just a matter of more greed-- "maybe we can get pilots who would love to say they work for a major airline to pay for all their training and pay them a base salary of $600 a month! What a great idea!" :*

Bri85
20th May 2008, 05:51
my mistake thats what I meant! :ugh:

secretasianman
20th May 2008, 19:52
What are the chances of hiring/salary/upgrade potential for a Yanqui RJ FO?

I've been hearing bad things about the work rules.

chock2chock
23rd May 2008, 18:38
De lo que entiendo,

You pay $41.5K, they train you and pay you $600/mo for the first 6 mo. You sign a contract for 3 years, after you get a $10K"rebate" when you terminate the contract? Then off you go? Or can you stay on permanently?

Panama Jack
23rd May 2008, 21:42
On those kinds of terms you'd want to stay on permanently? :bored:

Panamanian pilots are leaving for Asia because Copa's T's & C's suck. European pilots are coming to Copa because . . . :confused:

YV757
24th May 2008, 03:43
Hey Jack

Pero dime algo....If i want to go there, with lots of jet time, for whom they go for?...me or the rich kid from europe? What are my chances?? Because I've been thinking about Copa for a long time, and would like to give it shot....Just in case, 'cause things here in Chavezuela aren't looking that great.

Salud!

Panama Jack
24th May 2008, 05:24
I have no idea; and nor will you til you apply. ;)

Saludos

YV757
24th May 2008, 13:54
Ok....Gracias......

Panama Jack
25th May 2008, 08:34
The discussion seems to be even more animated on the Spanish Forum (a place where Latin American aviation is rarely ever discussed).

I got a chuckle out of the one poster's comments "Little by little, the Panamanians are getting back what the Conquistadors took away." :E

verypoorpilot
26th May 2008, 01:33
Hey venezuela,

I've got the scoop on the hiring process at Copa if your interested.

PM me, que por aca andan unos venezolanos mas!

-VPP

YV757
28th May 2008, 04:18
I just sent you a PM. Check it please.....

Estamos hablando.

yellowsubmarine
1st Jun 2008, 13:59
[quote]European pilots are coming to Copa because . . . :confused:

Let me give you a very clear and concise answer....BECAUSE THERE ARE NO JOBS HERE!!!

_FLYBYHAND_
1st Jun 2008, 17:42
Bueno, for the first time ever in copa a pilot has to pay to work !!!!!

Lets see how strong are those rich boys to live in Panama and how skillfull they are ....... good luck :ok:

fit29
13th Jun 2008, 03:23
American Flyer's has one of the worst reputations of any flight school in the US, at my old flight school we fired an instructor from that school, the guy was terrible, and he had all of his instructor ratings, he even joked about how he got them in a couple of weeks and some of his students new more than him. And this is the kind of training partner Copa chooses? I wouldn't go to that school to get a BFR!

Fulkrum
13th Jun 2008, 03:37
Don't they call them AMERICAN LIARS????

Sweptwing21
23rd Jun 2008, 06:47
Does Copa Hire FO's from the US, with a Commercial certificate ? Do you need to be typed on the 737 ?

Thanks

Immigrant
23rd Jun 2008, 14:53
Does Copa Hire FO's from the US, with a Commercial certificate ?
1. Yes, they do

Do you need to be typed on the 737 ?

2. NO, you don’t

Sweptwing21
23rd Jun 2008, 19:02
I see on Copa's website that they want 200 hours of flight time ? Is that really their minimum time requirement ??

What would be competitive flight times to get an interview ? Total/multi etc.. Any other info about Copa would be appreciated.

Muchas Gracias

Immigrant
24th Jun 2008, 01:49
S21
200 hours only for local guys, for exp. you need somethings around 1000 hours and preferible somethings more serious than C152 / 172:O

Leave 5 on the glide
24th Jun 2008, 17:22
Immigrant - do you think that a British national with an FAA CPL/Multi/Instrument and c300 hours would have a shot at an interview?

Thanks very much in advance,

l5otg

Immigrant
25th Jun 2008, 02:42
You always can try:ok:.
Nationality doesn't matter, what really matter is Spanish. Most of the guys are from latin area and as I mantioned before, around 1000 hours or more. Mayority of them are jet guys, but we also have some turbo prop people (the smallest that I heard is King Air), but any way you can try, you never know. Untill end of this year we will receive 4 E190 and 1 NG more. You can try the program of American Flyers if you can effort $40K.

Good luck

allatp
25th Jun 2008, 22:49
Immigrant,
so you are saying that CM is expecting 5 more aircraft this year. Are there any possibilities that CM delays or cancels any of the aircraft deliveries like other airlines are doing?
By the way, you are currently working for CM right?

Cheers!!!!

AA

Immigrant
26th Jun 2008, 01:03
Are there any possibilities that CM delays or cancels any of the aircraft deliveries like other airlines are doing?
==================
1.Not until now, but who knows.:D
2. Yes:{

Sweptwing21
26th Jun 2008, 05:13
So you need to speak spanish very fluently I am assuming...

I speak a fair amount, although I would not consider myself fluent, I need a little more help from the wife.

Is there any kind of discrimination (don't mean in a nasty way) toward gringos who try to get on at Copa, even if they speak fluent spanish ?

Are Fo's typed on the aircraft ? where is the training done, in Panama or in the US ?

What is the pay like ?

Thanks

BigToe
2nd Jul 2008, 04:38
OK Guys thanks for all the info thus far.

How do I get a resume into copa? My airline went bankrupt in the USA.

I have very good times

I have heard of expatriot left seat jobs but don't know anythng about it?

I also speak fluent spanish.

Can anyone help?? Please.

Thanks in advance

rkf
11th Jul 2008, 16:51
Hey if you don't mind sending me the process of getting on with Copa I'd really appreciate it. I'm thinking of bailing out of the US aviation industry. Thanks a million

Fulkrum
12th Jul 2008, 21:00
Hello all:

You guys probably already know about AEROSERVICE in Miami, Florida; They host a job fair I think every 4 months, if you go to the website you'll see that they're hosting a job fair on July 19th.

Here's the website Welcome to Aeroservice Aviation Training Center (http://www.aeroservice.com) I'm looking at attending, so far my schedule is cooperating and looks like I'll make it.

If there's any one of you guys whom might not be able to go due to your location or bad scheduling... I would gladly take your resume to them, all you have to do is email it to me, I will print it out and make sure it gets to the right person.

We all need to do good deeds for each other, considering the current job situation worldwide it is the right thing to do, after all... We are all in this together.

PM me if I can be of any help, best wishes to everyone.

:ok:

mathieupv
25th Jul 2008, 14:40
The $40,000 training requires to get JAA licences!!!! I can't believe it! Panama with JAA???? where the hell is that coming from! European licences in central america. And off course the programm is called AMERICAN flyers! nice job copa.

Estar en posesión de licencia JAA CPL con teórico de ATPL y habilitación IR.
Un mínimo de 300 horas de vuelo de las cuales 100 deberán de ser como piloto al mando.
Haber superado satisfactoriamente el curso MCC.
Estár en posesión del certificado médico JAR-FCL 3 Clase 1.
Perfecto dominio del idioma Español.
Se valorará experiencia previa como instructor y/o en avión turbo hélice.

A guy who has JAA licence won't go to COPA and pay this price to get a job when he can get a training for free in europe with BA or Air france and make 5000€ as an FO !

WAke up COPA!

csp(ex-cmx)
25th Jul 2008, 15:41
Copa has already more than 20 copilots with JAA, and all of them paid the US$40.000, and the best is that the line is getting longer to do the same so hurry up and get a number.