PDA

View Full Version : Carbon footprint

gulfairs
17th May 2008, 23:07
Can any one advise me as to the method of calculating the amount of carbon emissions from a one kilogram of fuel.
The local pundits come up with about 26 kilos of carbon gasses for one kilo of jet fuel.
My calculations are roughly four time the fuel mass burned, is the max carbon emissions.
That is One of fuel plus three of oxygen. (the nitrogen does not burn.)
Am I correct, or nearly correct????

FL370 Officeboy
17th May 2008, 23:25
How is this relevant to terms and endearment?

try www.treehuggersandnimbys.com

Notso Fantastic
18th May 2008, 07:06
The answer is 'who cares?' A darn good volcano and natural carbon emissions makes the jet fuel produced carbon issue totally insignificant. It's all a tax raising con, so stop wasting your time with it and go out with girls instead!

mid_life_pilot
18th May 2008, 08:21
The answer is 'who cares?' A darn good volcano and natural carbon emissions makes the jet fuel produced carbon issue totally insignificant.

Whilst that fact isn't exactly true, I agree, who cares?! Human production of CO2 is miniscule in comparison with the amount of CO2 the seas release when the sun warms them up - google solubility pump or take a look at this link http://www.rocketscientistsjournal.com/.

It's all a tax raising con

Spot on. Every government agency and marketing executive jumped for joy when someone keyed the term 'Carbon Footprint' which implies a cause and effect ie we go about our normal business trying to earn a crust and what do you know, we're killing the planet with our carbon footprint. Of course, carbon footprints can be measured which inevitably means that a tax will follow - tangible equals taxable.

northern boy
18th May 2008, 11:08
I sniff a journalist and or greenie trying to get information. You can see the headlines; "pilots admit they are killing the planet" Go away and play on the Guardian website instead.

400drvr
19th May 2008, 03:36
Well said Mid Life
:D

GlueBall
19th May 2008, 15:17
In 1980 Mount St. Helens [alone] spewed more CO2 into the atmosphere than did all the world's automobiles since day 1. Global warming cycles [and ice ages] in the past 4.5 billion years are real happenings, but it hasn't been, nor is it now a man made phenomena. We've only been around the last 1.3 million years. The "carbon footprint" generated by humans is so infinitesimal, that to try to quantify it would be like dabbling in useless information. :eek: