PDA

View Full Version : Getting into ATC

Lyndsey
17th May 2008, 19:31
Evening all,

Well first of all congratulations to all who have made it through the NATS process. I on the other hand seem unable to make that final hurdle. I failed last time at the final interview and to say I was devestated is an understatement. This was the second time I had tried and I dont want to keep waiting 12 months.

So my question is, if I cannot get into ATC through NATS, then how else can I do it? Does contacting an Airport and asking for trainee positions ever work? Or the other option I was considering, paying for it myself. Where can I do this and roughly what are the costs involved, cheers.

Foxy Loxy
17th May 2008, 19:53
Lyndsey,

I sympathise. Having realised that NATS were not interested in me, I went away and spent a few years in the "grass roots" of Air/Ground and AFISO until I paid my way into a self-sponsored ADC course. The college I studied at no longer exists, but you could make enquiries with Dundridge (sp?) in Cwmbran and ASTAC in Gloucestershire, both of whom run courses I believe.

The alternative is to apply for ATSA positions. Since NATS changed their courses, those students who had attained a student ATCO ADC license under the old system no longer exist, so many of the non-NATS regional ATC units are opting to "grow their own" from the ATSAs.

If you are unable to pay for your own course, I would suggest this would be your best way in. Get onto the Flight International website and work any contacts you may have.

Of course, if anyone else has any better ideas, I stand to be corrected.

Foxy

Joffyh
17th May 2008, 21:12
I apologise if this seems pretty simple but I don't know a huge amount about how NATS works but...have you tried a smaller airport which doesn't use NATS for its services? My local airport, Exeter, advertises for Air Traffic Control Assistants, after a couple of years doing this most assistants complete ATCO training paid for by the airport (they're bonded for the cost) and go from there...

JonG
18th May 2008, 13:08
You could also apply for Eurocontrol.

Lyndsey
19th May 2008, 17:28
Cheers for the advice everybody, will have to look into them and see where it takes me. No doubting NATS is my first choice but I cannot wait forever so fingers crossed.

Scooby Don't
19th May 2008, 20:08
I would like to assure you that there is life outside NATS!!! Back when I was working for them, I wouldn't have believed it, especially from the dire warnings about other ATS providers from those who had got into NATS from non-NATS aerodromes. Nowadays, it seems that NATS senior management would rather not pay for ATCOs, and there will be pressure to reduce pay and perks. That's not to say NATS can't provide a great career, but it's unlikely to be as fun as it once was. Besides, you'd most likely end up at doing area control with NATS. If you can either self-fund or join a regional aerodrome as an ATSA and gain sponsorship, the chances are NATS will welcome you with open arms in a few years time, so if they are still the employer of choice you should still have that choice!

WhatMeanPullUp
20th May 2008, 19:35
Hi Lyndsey,

Screw NATs, they suck, I am ex-NATs, bitter you might think? nah just got pissed off with them. Try Eurocontrol in Maastricht, better money, better weather, no feral scumbags roaming the streets etc etc Mainland Europe gives you more opportunities to travel with ease. www.eurocontrol.int (http://www.eurocontrol.int) for more details. Live the dream!!! :cool:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st May 2008, 07:35
<<Nowadays, it seems that NATS senior management would rather not pay for ATCOs, and there will be pressure to reduce pay and perks.>>

Not sure where you got this info from...... or maybe I'm totally out of touch? So far as I am aware, NATS ATCOs have had very substantial pay rises over the last 2-3 years and the guys at the sharp end with my seniority are earning around 50% more than when I retired 5 years ago. There never were any "perks" that I was aware of but the conditions of service were quite excellent. (I was never "management" - just coal face right to the last day).

I worked overseas at the start of my career (IAL). Salary was good but other conditions were dismal. I then worked non-State in the UK - pretty dreadful! My time with NATS was the best of my life.

FlightDeckDave
21st May 2008, 08:15
Having just got the ball rolling for my third and final attempt at getting into NATS, (I've got the stage 1 on friday), I always thought that maybe I could try to get on the EuroControl cadet course if things didn't go well. However a couple of days ago I looked on EuroControls website and saw there was an age limit applied. You've got to be under 25 on 1 October 2008? Unfortunately, for me, I am 25 now!

Does anyone know if this age limit is always applied, and if so is this allowed under European Law? Under British Law I don't think you can apply an age limit to job applicants, I guess this isnt the case across the EU.

I would be keen to hear if anyone has applied and been sucessful who is 25 or over.

Thanks,

FDD

Gonzo
21st May 2008, 10:15
The age limit is not restricted to Eurocontrol....NATS also has an age limit....36.

slip and turn
21st May 2008, 13:32
Yes those two seem very self-complimentary in that respect, eh Gonzo? :rolleyes:

leontidbury
21st May 2008, 16:50
It's a big no no in some peoples eyes but what about the RAF?

Foxy Loxy
22nd May 2008, 13:21
It's a big no no in some peoples eyes but what about the RAF?
.... just be aware that a military ATCO licence does not transfer to a civvy one if you want to come out. You would still have to complete a civvy ATC course.

Foxy