PDA

View Full Version : NPPL revalidation

pembroke
16th May 2008, 12:11
For those NPPL holders, please check your rating validation. I was recently asked to revaldate an NPPL and noticed the rating page gave no validity period. This was the first entry (CAA)
Two points, first there is an AIC out which brings the NPPL validation into a 24 month period with a similar but not the same flying hour requirements as the JAR(EASA) PPL ,(AIC White 30/2008). Also the validity period was not defined by the CAA on that first entry to reflect the various ways of revalidating an NPPL.
I am fairly sure that many SSEA holders simply saw that and assumed that the rating and the licence was for a "lifetime" and would not need a revalidation.

jgs43
16th May 2008, 20:01
The NPPL SSEA rating was on a rolling validity due to an error in the amendment to the ANO. The CAA did not therefore put an expiry date as efectively there was none unless you counted 24 months from the date of the test or last 60+ minute flight with an instructor. Any pilot operating on an NPPL SSEA rating therefore had to ensure that he met the requirements stipulated before each and every flight which were simplisticly 6 hrs flying prior to any flight and a 1 hour flight with an instructor in the 24 months prior to the date of the flight. There was also no requirement for an examiner's signature to maintain the validity of the rating.

The revalidation has now been brought into line with other revalidation requirements with the new requirements effective from 31st January 2008. Pilots with NPPLs have until end June 2009 to transfer to the new revalidation system.

Unfortunately the CAA also left the expiry date blank for SLMG ratings which did have a fixed 13 month validity prior to these changes. Whether or not they did the same with microlight ratings I am unable to say.

bern444
16th May 2008, 22:03
There must have been a proper announcement or mailing or similar for this, but I never saw it. Do you have the official reference?

Not that I doubt it in any way, but it does seem to have been made less than obvious.

Bernie

bern444
16th May 2008, 22:10
Don't worry, I've found it - now I know about it.

It was in the locked filing cabinet behind the door marked "Beware of the tiger"

B

BEagle
16th May 2008, 23:16
The ANO amendment consultation was promulgated last year.

ALL the NPPL constituent bodies (AOPA, BGA, BMAA, PFA/LAA etc) were fully informed.

The ANO amendment became law on 31 Jan 2008.

The AIC was released at the end of April.

ALL NPPL news was promulgated on www.nppl.uk.com (http://www.nppl.uk.com) .

So whose fault is it if you haven't read the AIC or checked the website?

bern444
17th May 2008, 11:56
To read the AIC I have to know it exists and where to find it. The NPPL site is not a place where one expects to find news - indeed, it isn't very good at providing the basic information about the NPPL itself.

Why didn't the CAA just promulgate the people who have the licence? There can't be that many that a mailshot would be prohibitive. Other organisations send me information by email. It's my responsibilty to keep them informed if I change. Seems to work ok.

As for the changes - the rolling validity seems to be rather a good idea to me. I won't be switching till I have to on 30th June 2009.

B

BEagle
17th May 2008, 12:44
To read the AIC I have to know it exists and where to find it.

You will have learned about AICs during your Air Law studying, so you should know where to find new AICs.

The rolling validity scheme was a mistake by the CAA. It was never agreed by the NPPL Policy and Steering Committee and it has resulted in many pilots unwittingly flying illegally.

pembroke
17th May 2008, 15:08
Firstly, thanks to jgs43 for the validation explanation, I honestly feel that the majority of NPPL's would not be aware of this , at least for the SSEA rating. As far as I know the microlight world has stayed with the 13month/ 5 hours, with a logbook stamp from an appointed person.( I speak here as a lapsed microlight instructor)

Re Beagle, there are ,as you know two approaches to the NPPL, either to have it granted as your initial licence or to alter your status to a "day/ UK / reduced medical etc", licence and rating. Most of the NPPL holders I know took the NPPL option to simplify their flying, and/or to fly with a lower medical status. To generalise, they will not be part of an organisation such as AOPA, or even a flying club. The last time they read the ANO was a few bits for the air law exam some years ago, and they wouldn't have a clue where to find AIC's, let alone read them. As an examiner I still find licences and ratings out of date , after many years of JAR. The least the CAA could do is to circulate this latest AIC to NPPL holders

BEagle
17th May 2008, 16:01
All NPPL Class Ratings will, under the revised system, be revalidated in the same way. 12 hours in the 24 month validity period, of which 8 must be as PIC and a total of 1 (rather than a single 1 hour flight) must be with an instructor. 6 of the 12 must be in the final 12 month period.

These revalidation requirements also apply to the NPPL Microlight Class Rating.

Those Microlight and/or SLMG pilots with pre-NPPL licences who wish to remain on the old scheme may do so. However, unless they convert their old licneces to the NPPL, they cannot take advantage of the new consolidated revalidation requirements, which allow holders of more than one NPPL Class Rating to revalidate all Class Ratings by hours achieved on any, subject to a minimum of 1 hour on each Class held.

bern444
17th May 2008, 20:20
I sort of think that officials of the CAA - possibly BEagle, but who knows - should declare themselves if they feel like promulgating stuff on this unofficial forum. And as it is an unofficial forum, it really isn't the place to find this stuff out. As Pembroke says -

To generalise, they will not be part of an organisation such as AOPA, or even a flying club. The last time they read the ANO was a few bits for the air law exam some years ago, and they wouldn't have a clue where to find AIC's, let alone read them.

Telling the LAA and AOPA etc is not telling the pilots. Telling the pilots is telling the pilots. I refer BEagle and others again to the first chapter of the HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy.

B

jgs43
18th May 2008, 05:39
Two simple ways to keep up to date :cool:-

1 - Subscribe to the AIS site - there is more than just flight information/notams there. All AIC's etc are also available and IT'S FREE.

2 - Subscribe to the CAA notication service - AGAIN FREE - it notifies you of updates to a good many documents, charts etc and you are free to choose which items you wish to have notified.

Not being a member of a club, AOPA or any other flying organisation is not an acceptable excuse.

bern444
18th May 2008, 09:53
"Behind the door marked beware of the tiger..."

Not being a member of a club, AOPA or any other flying organisation is not an acceptable excuse.

You do have to know that these things exist, and I'm willing to bet good money that if I go to the clubhouse now and ask if anyone knows that they do, no-one will.

I've been to the CAA site and hunted around, typed "notification service" into the search engine, which got nowhere, and eventually found this link
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=33 which I offer as being helpful and useful to all.

I also went to the AIS site - couldn't find the equivalent there, perhaps someone else can and post it.

Regulation is, above all, about safety - and not employing endless bureaucrats - and in order for regulation to work, the regulators have to communicate with the regulated, not just say stuff like " is not an acceptable excuse". If enough of the regulated don't know things, then the regulators are the ones at fault. Maybe it's just me and I'm stupid, but I don't think so. My name is Bernard Newnham amd I'm willing to be a beta tester of websites etc. I believe in constructive criticism.....

B

jgs43
18th May 2008, 18:11
CAA Home page

http://www.caa.co.uk/homepage.aspx

Click on RSS - orange box at bottom of index on left side of page.:ok:

Parsnip
19th May 2008, 08:25
Agree wholeheartedly with Bern 444 The CAA found it simple enough to post out licence amendments a couple of months ago re the English Speaking qualification.So how would it be different or more difficult for them to mailshot NPPLs re their revalidation requirements. They charge enough for the initail paperwork.
I'm NPPL and this thread was the first I've heard of this.

BEagle
19th May 2008, 08:55
Parsnip - a fair point and I have now made such a recommendation to the Authority.

I will let you know of their reply.

bern444
24th May 2008, 09:48
FYI - I'm just popping this back to the front page for those who only read at the weekend.

BEagle
24th May 2008, 13:20
I am still awaiting a response from the Authority. If I haven't received a response within the 10 working days they are required to react within (i.e. by 3 Jun), I shall press the point once more.