PDA

View Full Version : Spot Landings - any tips?

sucksqueezeBANGstop
15th May 2008, 21:47
Hi there,

My flying club are going to hold a 'just for fun' spot landing comp one evening soon, and I thought I'd give it a go.

Have tried to glide in to runways before and make the numbers, but any useful tips would be most appreciated!

ssBs

Keygrip
15th May 2008, 21:52
Helicopter.

sucksqueezeBANGstop
15th May 2008, 21:56
ROFLMAO :D

I'll never be that desperate!

BackPacker
15th May 2008, 22:15
Look in the POH for the *exact* numbers you should be flying on short final, taking into account the *actual* weight of the airplane. This will most likely be 1.3 times Vs0, so you have a 30% margin over your *actual* stall speed. Get established on final early, trim for the correct approach speed, look for aspect changes and control your glidepath with the throttle to aim 30-50 meters before the landing spot. Keep that aspect, airspeed and AoA until you get into the flare. Milk out the last 30% of speed over the last 30-50 meters and land on the numbers. Within reason, it is better to make a positive touchdown (without bouncing though) than to flare until the aircraft stops flying and kisses the tarmac.

At least, that's how I do that sort of thing. Not much different from the generic short-field technique, really.

The other thing is to be current on the aircraft you fly, or sit in the cockpit long enough while on the ground so you know at what altitude your wheels are just off, and are on the ground.

Oh, and don't hit a bird on short final. It really ruins your day, just like it did mine a few weeks ago when we had our annual spot landing practice day.

slam525i
16th May 2008, 05:05
I've never done a spot landing competition. Do they just mark out a spot somewhere down the runway? If so, why not just float the airplane at just-above stall and fly it along at a few feet until you chop the throttle?

(Yes, I realize this would be a very bad idea if you are supposed to plant it on the numbers.)

Piper.Classique
16th May 2008, 06:06
Need a little more info here
Is this to be off a glide approach, what aircraft type is it, are you allowed (and do you know how) to sideslip? how far down the runway is the spot?

TheOddOne
16th May 2008, 07:13
The way we run our spot landing comp is as follows:

1. A white sheet is placed around a third of the way down the runway, to one side. This represents a ditch at the beginning of a field you're simulating a forced landing into.

2. Each pilot is allowed 2 goes, sitting alongside an instructor to ensure fair play and safe operation.

3. A glide approach is made, with the pilot choosing the position when to chop the throttle.

4. The landing must be full flap, with the stall warner on and control column fully aft.

5. The distance of the first touch after the sheet is measured. Shortest distance wins.

6. A touch before the sheet is deemed to have crashed in the ditch and counts as ZERO!

A distance of around 5 metres is usually required to win. All the usual techniques are allowed, including side-slipping, 'essing' on final etc so it's a good idea to start slightly high or close in rather than try and stretch the glide.

The whole thing, apart from being great fun, is to simulate that last bit of a forced landing that we're not allowed to practice elsewhere.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Piper.Classique
16th May 2008, 08:06
Well, there you are. The OddOne has said it all.
Only thing I would ask, is about the control column fully aft and the stall warner on. I have been known to do a wheeler (conventional gear) especially in a brisk crosswind, and not all aircraft have audible or visual stall warners, or come to that, flaps. I don't normally get beyond half flap, using the sideslip as a variable means of height loss. Personally I do my forced landing practice from 1500 feet or so above the field, sideslipping as required, flaps only when I am sure of the centre of the field, and further sideslip and flaps (maybe) as required to shorten the approach. S approaches are harder to judge imo and when I do them I usually finish with a slipping turn on to a very short final. In any case for this type of landing (no use of engine) the final should be as short as feasible, with a lot of the height adjustment happening on the base leg. If you get low too far away on final you are stuffed, whereas if you are low on base leg you can cut the corner. In fact, there are very few straight lines in my practice field landings. I don't think it resembles a short field landing, which I would normally consider to be off a stabilised final on the back of the drag curve with power to control the sink. Anyway, it is a valuable exercise and should also be fun when done as a competition. Errr....Where does the instructor sit in a single seater?:E

overandout
16th May 2008, 08:37
There will be a spot landing competition at beccles EGSM to-morrow saturday.
Open to all-comers.
put your theories into practise and have a go.

TheOddOne
16th May 2008, 18:27
Only thing I would ask, is about the control column fully aft and the stall warner on. I have been known to do a wheeler (conventional gear) especially in a brisk crosswind, and not all aircraft have audible or visual stall warners, or come to that, flaps.

Well, I AM talking PA28 here! I respect that those with differing arrangements with the C of G behind the main wheels and not having flaps might have a differing view.

I do go along with the 'close in base leg' deal to give flexibility of when to turn onto final and make it very short; just what we teach for the 'glide approach'.

At least for a spot landing comp you don't have to get and pay for special permission from the CAA - unlike flour bombing comps, which were even MORE fun!

Those of you who can make it to Beccles tomorrow - have a great time!

TOO

2hotwot
17th May 2008, 19:39
I remember a competition many years ago at Lands End. The club were holding their annual spot landing; two attempts, 1000 ft overhead, power off, one warm of the engine and land on or after the spot to count. Well we were landing everywhere, a few good efforts mostly on the airfield but nothing outstanding. This was observed by the then doyen of the club who being of senior years and having had an engine failure or two in his time, decided to show us how it should be done. He jumped into the joy-ride 172 complete with grandson, and not having fully listened to the rules climbed to 500 ft over the spot and throttled back. His circuit was to say the least, compact but the wheels touched bang in the middle of the pegged out cotton sheet sweeping it away. He taxied back to the tower, the whole flight having only taken about three minutes leaving us once again in awe. After that we packed up, there really wasn't much point putting the marker down again as we were not going to better that performance. The old had beaten the bold once again......
Spot landing will really highlight the people who fly instinctively.

IFMU
18th May 2008, 01:16
Use the force!

-- IFMU