PDA

View Full Version : BoseX aviation headset

frankie777
15th May 2008, 06:21
I am looking for some advice re the Bose X headset as I hope to buy one soon. I presently have a David Clark H10 13.4 which is ok but I do find after some time wearing it that my head feels like it has been in a vice. I would appreciate some feedback from those who have bought the Bose X ANR as to whether it lives up to your expectations and the company hype.
I recently bought a Bose docking station for my Ipod which is superb with great sound so I can only imagine that the Bose X must be as good. Am I correct?
Your feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Applecore
15th May 2008, 07:17
I bought one and find it great.
Light, good with sunglasses on and excellent noise reduction.

DB6
15th May 2008, 07:27
Do a search on this forum and you'll find loads of stuff written about ANR headsets and the Bose X. It is sold with a 30 day return if you're not satisfied - suffice to say I was not. Very overpriced and unsatisfactory at higher frequencies. Do not buy an ANR headset until you've tried a few, if at all possible.

IO540
15th May 2008, 08:24
...the Bose X. It is sold with a 30 day return if you're not satisfied - suffice to say I was not. Very overpriced and unsatisfactory at higher frequencies

Quite untrue.

I've been using them for eight years. I have also tried every headset in a particular headset shop, against an aircraft noise source.

The only one which came close was a ~£500 D-Clark model but with a vice like grip on one's head.

The other, cheaper, ones were just crap in comparison. I used to have a Pilot DC17-79 which was utter crap; it even whistled sometimes. The ANR performance was rubbish. I returned it to Pilot in the USA who confirmed it was in spec!

Protecting one's hearing, never mind actually hearing ATC, is worth paying extra for.

Still, listening (when flying) to the crap quality of peoples' radios, and amazingly often the crap quality of ATC microphones (and probably other equipment), I am not suprised people don't want to spend the money.

I have heard that the Lightspeed Zulu gets quite close to the Bose X. I was going to try one in the USA recently but nobody had any stock. They also do an aircraft powered version with the same Lemo plug as the Bose aircraft powered version has, which is a smart marketing move.

S-Works
15th May 2008, 08:30
The bose is the best headset I have ever owned, I have nearly 3000hrs on mine and it has been used on over 100 different aircraft from the pressurised Malibu I now fly to the permit and open cockpit.

The ANR is first class and with Lithium batteries I get around 80hrs from a set of batteries.

They are light and comfortable with a minimum clamping force. I have tried more headsets than I can shake a stick at and the Bose win every time.

Julian
15th May 2008, 08:59
Yep agree with Bose, I bought mine about 18mths and not looked back since. I tried the Seinheiser (sp?) version in a mates TB20 and it wasnt even the same league, the ANR wasnt as good and also very uncomfortable after a few hours. The Bose X is excellent, very lightweight and after a while you dont even know its on your head!

J.

SNS3Guppy
15th May 2008, 09:03
I bought a gently used on on ebay the year before last (because I wanted to try one out without paying full price). I'll say this; if you can afford one, they're worth the investment so far as being a quality tool for the cockpit. They're comfortable with good sound delivery, enhance communication, and for such little pressure on the head, they work surprisingly well.

For less money, lightspeed headsets are good, and a lot more comfortable than a david-clark type.

I took that used set of Bose to the middle east with me. It sat in the heat and the dust and got bounced around. I put it on when outside doing engine runs with turbojet equipment...and I was pleasantly surprised that even standing in front of a jet engine, it still did just fine. (I figured it would have been okay for the cockpit, but not outside next to the engine doing runs...turns out that even though it doesn't clamp down over the head like a seat of ear muffs, it does unexpectedly well).

After about six months I was getting intermittant hissing and popping. When I ended up back in the US, I stopped by the Bose booth at Sun n Fun airshow. I mentioned to the folks in the booth my experinece with the headset. They told me the hissing and popping was probably a worn ear seal. True enough, where the seal rests against my jaw, if it's been any period of time since I last shaved, the stubble tears up the ear seal. They handed me a replacement pair at no charge, as well as a hat and some literature. The new ear seals took care of the problem.

Even in the heat and adverse conditions, the headset held up, and the batteries lasted a long time. I kept an extra set in my flight suit, but didn't need them. I haven't got around to trying it in the 747 yet (some tell me it creates impedence problems)...but probably will. For a good all around light airplane headset, the Bose X works great.

You might try ebay first...I got a heck of a deal.

youngskywalker
15th May 2008, 09:03
Used them over 400 hours in a King Air, very good, comfortable, wired into the electrical system so no need to change batteries.

frankie777
15th May 2008, 10:10
Thank you all for the great responses. I think from all that has been written the Bose X sounds great, pleasing more pilots than it displeases. I will try one out when I am next back in the uk and then make a firm decision. I also read about the Lightspeed Zulu which was in the mail order catalogue of a reputable Pilot shop, which sounds pretty good too. Overall though from the responses I have read the Bose sounds pretty hard to beat.

BackPacker
15th May 2008, 10:29
There was a review of ANR and non-ANR headsets in Flyer some months ago. You might be able to backorder that issue. It makes for interesting reading.

They were pleased with the Bose-X with the only remark that if you run the batteries flat, the passive noise reduction is virtually nonexistent. Not a problem if you've got the panel wired for them of course.

We've got two Robin Ecoflyers at our club with Bose-Xs in them as standard. I've flown them a few times - brilliant. Both the plane and the headset. We do have a few headsets that are broken now. Not really surprising since these planes do 700 hours or more a year, in a club/school environment.

The big surprise though of the whole Flyer review was the DIY ANR kit which you could buy over the internet for a relatively low price, and use it to upgrade your own non-ANR headset to ANR if you're handy with a soldering iron. I wanted to do that myself but unfortunately my headset is not on the "supported" list and queries to their sales people have so far gone unanswered.

Oh, and there's also an in-ear "head"set with ANR. Due to the physical characteristics they could not test it objectively but the subjective opinion was that it was very good too. And comparatively cheap.

Fright Level
15th May 2008, 10:45
The only thing that put me off Bose was that primarily they are a marketing company rather than a manufacturer. Almost everything else they produce is over-hyped and over marketed (Sunday supplements anyone?).

On the other hand Sennheiser are a pucka headphone manufacturer (DC's too vice like for me also). I recently bought a couple of pairs of 450's from the States. Worked out at £322 each set with the VAT paid. They have excellent passive noise reduction and the electronic NR is top notch as well.

Might be worth looking at them also. The 460's are identical except they have option to plug in mobile phone and iPod, something I'd never use, so save and get the 450's.

Kerosine
15th May 2008, 11:22
I recently bought a Bose docking station for my Ipod which is superb with great sound so I can only imagine that the Bose X must be as good. Am I correct?At the moment I am trying to justify spending 275 quid on a set of Bose QuietComfort 3 (noise reducing) headphones. Although these are for music not aviation, the sound quality is like nothing I've heard elsewhere, really top notch. It certainly sets a standard for performance in their other products.
The only thing that put me off Bose was that primarily they are a marketing company rather than a manufacturer. Almost everything else they produce is over-hyped and over marketed (Sunday supplements anyone?).IMO Bose are not just a 'designer brand'; they produce top quality products even if they do waffle in their marketing literature:rolleyes:. If the QC3 headphones are anything to go by, I would imagine the aviation headsets are some of the best available too. :ok:

S-Works
15th May 2008, 11:39
The QC3 are ace. Use them on commercial to drown out the drone of the engines and often just sleep with the switched on and no audio.

IO540
15th May 2008, 11:43
They were pleased with the Bose-X with the only remark that if you run the batteries flat, the passive noise reduction is virtually nonexistent

That may be true but (having switched mine off many times) they are then probably no worse than the £100-£200 crap headsets which cover the shelves in the pilot shops.

The only thing that put me off Bose was that primarily they are a marketing company rather than a manufacturer. Almost everything else they produce is over-hyped and over marketed (Sunday supplements anyone?).

I think there may be some truth in that. My girlfriend bought the much-advertised £300 Bose ANR headset designed for airline passenger usage. She didn't think it made any noticeable difference. I tried it, and agreed. It was crap - about the same as the ~ £70 ANR headsets (Sony, JVC, Sennheiser, etc, etc) you get on the high street electronics shops. We sent it back to Bose who took it back without a comment. We never found out whether it was a duff one... It was a far cry from the Bose aviation headset though.

I have been designing electronics stuff, including high quality audio gear, since the 1970s, and it amazes me the Bose X is still up there as #1. Either they have good patents, or nobody else has half decent engineers. But that's what we have.......

Bose the company are far from perfect. A few years ago they made thousands of Bose X headsets with duff mikes; about half the output signal which it should have. They offered a more or less indefinite free exchange scheme in the USA, but it was never supported via their UK dealers who obviously washed their hands of it after the initial warranty expired. I discovered this "design change" by accident after flying with somebody who had the new ones, and have recently upgraded 3 of my 4 headsets to the latest mike (£130 a time) and the difference is very noticeable. So, I would be a little careful buying a 2001-2005 (not sure of the time period) model on Ebay. Bose blamed this on some duff mikes (with specific serial number ranges) but the problem was actually widespread. However, most users would have never noiced because even with half the output signal the mike was still clearer than the mike on any other headset.

All we need now is for ATC to replace their ex WW2 carbon mikes ;) London Control managed it, now it's the turn of the rif-raf :)

flybymike
15th May 2008, 12:06
Regarding ATC transmissions, I find that military LARS transmissions are by far the worst for quality.

Regarding the Bose I personally find them to be excellent in removing what I would call " low end rumble" type engine noise, but that they leave an irritating tinny high end treble type sound , which I personally find annoying but which doesn't seem to bother other users.

Mike Cross
15th May 2008, 14:14
The only thing that put me off Bose was that primarily they are a marketing company rather than a manufacturer.

A little harsh perhaps. I agree that the marketing pitch doesn't sit well in the UK (a bit like Amex with "Membership has its privileges") however the product is good, if pricey. I have a pair of Bose's and wouldn't change them. It's still great to hear the noise fade to where it belongs (in the background) when I press the button. The increase in audibility of r/t is also pretty magical.

Go into any theatre and you're likely to find the sound rig includes Bose speakers. Industrial and commercial customers are not flattered by marketing.

7AC
15th May 2008, 14:38
I use a Bose X at work and it is very good, if you don't want to spend big money then try the Peltor 8006 with the Oregon Aero ear cushions, as a passive set it is very good.

Fitter2
15th May 2008, 14:49
Lightspeed Zulus seem to be better than Bose-X in every respect (including price) and are in stock with at least 1 UK supplier.

Recommend you try both before parting with cash - headsets are subject to personal preference.

Humaround
15th May 2008, 21:16
Mike, Bose like to represent that they produce "professional" sound gear, but actually there is now very little Bose PA out there, the stuff they sold in the '80s has been overtaken by much better kit from other manufacturers.

Bose have never had a significant presence in professional recording studios.

They are good at producing quirky domestic audio products which are OK, but very overpriced.

No reflection on the Bose-X, which I haven't tried, and may buy after trying if they really are as good as everyone says.

Rugbyears
16th May 2008, 13:09
Worth a look....

http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/lightspeed_zulu_headset_review_197123-1.html

:ok:

irishpilot1990
23rd Jun 2010, 13:49
everyone still on the side of bose x or the zulu?!? for a 737

MIKECR
23rd Jun 2010, 21:26
I've been on the lookout for a new ANR headset recently and have tried several different sets. By far I found the zulu to be superior to the bose....just my opinion off course. A great little set I found however was the Sennheiser HMEC250....at half the price of the other 2. Before splashing out any cash though, try before you buy!

172driver
24th Jun 2010, 00:02
as to whether it lives up to your expectations and the company hype.

In a word - yes.

blue up
24th Jun 2010, 07:59
Just bought a Bose X for a 757. Top Banana!

Not too tight or too heavy. If anything, it is TOO quiet. You cannot hear the engine noise during final approach. Probably not a problem on a 737-200, though!!

Uk-wide price fixing seems to be the case at the moment. Nobody dropping below £680. Almost the same price as the Zulus.

SNS3Guppy
25th Jun 2010, 07:02
everyone still on the side of bose x or the zulu?!? for a 737

A bose QC-15 headset with a Uflymic works better and costs less. It's lighter in weight, fits easier in a flight bag, and has the advantage of being available for music or computer use when not being used for the cockpit.

EDMJ
25th Jun 2010, 11:34
Bought a Bose-X for €774,- in Germany (there's a campaign at the moment) and tried it out yesterday in a Tecnam P92E. I'm really, really pleased with and it's a quantum jump in noise reduction compared to the David-Clark H10-40 and no-name, cheapish ANR headset I've used before in the same aircraft. Noise reduction and ANR function is excellent, and of these three headset this one fits the best around the arms of my glasses. Also very light and comfortable to wear.

Highly recommendable!

stickandrudderman
25th Jun 2010, 20:03
I've used a Lightspeed 3G for several years and always thought it was very good. However, on a recent flight in a friend's plane he was having trouble hearing me and lent me a pair of Bose X. What a difference that made, especially in terms of comfort.
I'm now on the hunt for some s/h ones.....

Carvair
13th Jul 2010, 20:31
I've had a Bose headset for the past 5 years - best headset I ever owned. It's light, comfortable, and works superbly under all conditions. It's always worked well with no issues or breakdowns - I would recommend it to anybody who is either a professional pilot or a serious recreational flyer.

Kiltie
13th Jul 2010, 21:49
How do you guys get away with using big cup headsets like a Bose X in a 737 or 757? Is it not your airline's SOP to use off-ear cross-cockpit communication or do you use the intercom as standard? How do your colleagues you fly with feel about it? Do they use the same headset as you?

I use my own Bose X for prop flying but find it wholly unsuitable for medium jets; not least because I think it's unfair to push my colleague in to using the intercom and abandon one-ear-off comms which is standard procedure. Secondly the clamping effect of 2 large earpieces is just too much over 10 hours flying.

The best headset I had for 737s was a Starset "earpiece" with tiny boom mic, long since lost down the back of a seat. I had a Sennheiser ANR which allowed ear-off comms but found it too clamping and thus sold it on e-bay. I'm back to crappy company Telex headsets now.

Ben178v
13th Jul 2010, 22:28
I use a bose on the 737 and its excellent I don't even switch it on sometimes. A little while ago I dropped it though and I started to get a funny noise in one cup so I took it to a repair place at shoreham (HSL I think). They posted it back to me 10 days later they had repaired and serviced it replacing the broken bits and also changing the ear cushions and head cushion. All of this came under a no questions asked warranty I didn't even have to pay any postage. I was shocked and impressed.

As for off the ear comms. They are my ears if you want to go deaf thats your choice but I have a headset and I use it. Theres an intercom switch and a bag of elastic bands if needed. I can't imagine any company to put in writing that you have to keep one ear uncovered what more proof would you need when one ear went U/S than a copy of the company SOP's followed by "where theres a blame there's a claim". That said if there is someone on the jumpseat I can hear them with the cups on fully.if i'm using the ANR.

Kiltie
14th Jul 2010, 09:19
Ah, the elastic bands thing. Well, fair play to you if you and your colleagues agree to that method and you have nothing in writing to stop you. My last airline clearly stated in the SOP that ear-off comms were to be used, if yours doesn't then fair enough, but such standards do exist out there.

In my first airline job I was reminded by the trainers that open mikes were an irritant to the other flight deck member. They were right; it drives me nuts when someone gets the elastic bands out without asking me and then I have to listen to them munching their bananas for the rest of the duty. Or blasting their nasal exhalation through the mic every 3 seconds.

Ben178v
14th Jul 2010, 17:27
Ah I use the elastic elastic bands the benefit being that the switch can be moved out of the i/c position. :p

Rod1
14th Jul 2010, 19:53
I have two Bose X headsets, one of which is now surplus to requirements if anyone is interested…

Rod1

SNS3Guppy
16th Jul 2010, 09:34
How do you guys get away with using big cup headsets like a Bose X in a 737 or 757? Is it not your airline's SOP to use off-ear cross-cockpit communication or do you use the intercom as standard? How do your colleagues you fly with feel about it? Do they use the same headset as you?

I've used the Bose X in the 747 and it's quite comfortable. I do find that during takeoff or other times of high workload, partially cocking it off one ear helps in cockpit communications. Most whom I fly with, don't use the intercom, and the intercom isn't necessary to communicate.

I've taken to using the Bose QC-15 with the uflymic more now, and it makes hearing others in the cockpit even more difficult. Again, cocking the earphone slightly off the ear still enables me to hear the communication in the earphone, but to hear others talking in the cockpit.

IO540
16th Jul 2010, 09:47
I have worn my bose-x headset for up to 7hrs and had absolutely no discomfort.

I am not an airline pilot but it seems obvious (from pre-9/11 cockpit visits) that they do not wear headsets when enroute, and this is standard because they like to chitchat :) I can't blame them - on 12hr flights... but this also knackers their hearing, over the years, because a 747 cockpit is very noisy. Many retired ATPs I have known were pretty deaf.

blue up
16th Jul 2010, 12:48
I'm just past 40 and the hearing is going downhill fast, hence the Bose purchase. Our SOPs suggest using the intercom and it has proven to reduce shouting and to lower percieved noise levels due to the provision by the company of Senheisser 45 ANR headsets. We never used to use intercom when we had el-cheapo headsets but the arrival of ANR made the company revisit their recommendations. The Bose is a large step up in terms of noise reduction and general compfort plus it also improves the hygeine!.
Aeros? Probably better than DC but a velcro chinstrap might be worth investing in?
I keep my headset on even during longhaul cruise since it drowns out some of the noise of the 767s even if you don't have the antinoise on. Some of my colleagues take their headsets off after passing the OCA boundry but I don't. If it was a longhaul 757 then I'd be suicidal if my Bose wasn't with me.

Once the pain of the bill for £680 has worn off you will not be disappointed.

SNS3Guppy
16th Jul 2010, 18:13
I am not an airline pilot but it seems obvious (from pre-9/11 cockpit visits) that they do not wear headsets when enroute, and this is standard because they like to chitchat I can't blame them - on 12hr flights... but this also knackers their hearing, over the years, because a 747 cockpit is very noisy.

The 747 cockpit isn't all that noisy; especially at altitude. Most crewmembers wear their headset all the time, including enroute.

My hearing is fried, but not from the 747...radial engines and gunfire did that for me. (Not at the same time).