PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions...

1Way2Live
14th May 2008, 17:30
ATC: "Turn right hdg 225deg, intercept localiser, report established".
ME: "Right hdg 225, intercept loc and report established"
~ 5 seconds later ~
ATC: "Descend 3000ft, when established loc, descend ILS".
ME: "Descend 3000ft, when established descend ILS".

Now do you still want me to call established on the loc, when fully established, or not at all?

This question is specific to BAW at EGLL.
Does it help you at all to tell you that we are ready for dep when passed to tower? I don't know if you guys kind of expect us to be a few more minutes :O

When passed to a new zone (eg. London to Paris etc. etc.) should the initial call always include passing level? I thought it did, but some skippers say not. But am I right in thinking that an initial call within the same zone need not include passing level?

When would you say is it appropriate to initiate a call to ATC with the word "request"? I generally only do so for abnormal calls ie. ride reports up ahead or news of delays ahead. Should I just go right out and ask straight away?

Thanks a lot for any answers.

Spitoon
14th May 2008, 17:36
My answers

1 - Yes, either LOC or fully established will do, it's usually a prompt for me to put you to TWR if the plan is working. But I'm sure you'll get other views.

2 - Don't work LL so can't speak for them.

3 - Do a search. It's been discussed here recently and it's not a black and white answer.

4 - Between two native or good English speakers I wouldn't worry too much - the tone of voice gives it away usually before you even get to the request. Where language/understanding may be an issue it's probably a good idea.

cossack
14th May 2008, 18:36
2 - Again not LHR but BA specific: if you're not going to be ready either by the time you're next to go, or at an airport where there is no room to bypass you, tell ground before they switch you to tower. If you're in the departutre line and you're ready, great, no need to say anything.

Gonzo
14th May 2008, 18:57
2) Personal opinion, but I'd prefer you to not to say anything* until you're given a marshalling instruction past the Holding Area entry point (LOKKI, ETTIV, OSTER, etc). If when you receive that marshalling instruction, you still are not ready, then say so at that point. Gives us a chance to re-plan, but doesn't defeat the purpose of 'monitor tower.....'

*...if it's going to be a few minutes. If you're expecting an unusually long delay, then I'd recommend telling Ground when they pass you over to Tower.

1Way2Live
15th May 2008, 15:44
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Gonzo,
I've been sitting at HANLI a lot lately itching to offer a N8 departure! :p You guys are always very diplomatic with your "thanks... but no thanks" answers!

Gonzo
15th May 2008, 16:33
I don't envy you operating out of Y, what a piddling afterthought of an apron! So awkward to get in and out.