PDA

View Full Version : What is the fastest single engine GA aircraft for rent?

lauchiemb
14th May 2008, 15:06
i am planning a 300 nm trip from the North of Englabd, South, and am looking for something faster than the Archer 111 that I normally rent. Can anyone suggest something faster to rent?

ab33t
14th May 2008, 17:02
Socata TBM 850

hobbit1983
14th May 2008, 18:00
I would imagine that this (http://www.deltajets.com/aircraft.php?jet=xl577) would be the fastest single engined aircraft for hire in the UK?

Seriously though, what about an Arrow as a logical step up from an Archer 3.

Chilli Monster
14th May 2008, 18:21
Without stating the obvious I would have thought you were limited by what's available in your area. Your options will probably be an Arrow, Cirrus, Mooney or TB20. All the above are faster, but over 300nm the time difference is only going to be in the order of 30 minutes.

echobeach
14th May 2008, 19:10
I fly an arrow 180 with a 2 blade prop. We get 130-135 kts IAS in this and with a tail wind this gives a fair old ground speed that is pretty good for most touring. Seem to be quite a lot of arrows around to rent although I find the 3 blades are always slower whether the 180 or 200 arrow. Havent flown a turbo arrow.
Did get a lift back from LFAT in a mooney when arrow rather let me down. We had ground speeds of 190kts on the way back. That is my sort of speed! Full of great avonics and would be first in queue to rent this if there were any about in that sort of condition.

N707ZS
14th May 2008, 19:14
Northern aviation at DTVA has a nice RC-114 with a 540 engine in it that should shift.

pistongone
14th May 2008, 21:50
PA32R@ Panshanger. 155kn and six seats and quite a reasonable rate wet!

Chilli Monster
14th May 2008, 22:15
i am planning a 300 nm trip from the North of England, South,

Answered by

PA32R@ Panshanger.

:ugh: :rolleyes:

youarealoooser
14th May 2008, 22:32
it's notrh of london isn't it??

pistongone
15th May 2008, 06:46
Fair point Chilli:}
Reminds me of "RTFQ"!!
I was thinking only of the fastest single bit!!:p
Pete Johnson at Fadmoor has a Single Comanche, 260hp retractable, not that cheap though! But it is well NORTH Chilli!! North York Moors!
Just out of interest Chilli, did you work out 30 mins or guesstimate? Only ask as its spot on given 130kn for an Archer and 165kn for a TB20 over 300 miles!

Chilli Monster
15th May 2008, 08:48
Guesstimated :) Though I tend to operate my TB20 at 145Kts and I've never had an Archer that can do more than 120Kts

lauchiemb
15th May 2008, 09:08
Actually I have come across this chap with a Piper Lance who will fly it up to me. May be useful for trip to France next month. This will do 142 NMPH cruising :

http://www.piperlance.co.uk/index.html

S-Works
15th May 2008, 09:42
Actually I have come across this chap with a Piper Lance who will fly it up to me. May be useful for trip to France next month. This will do 142 NMPH cruising :

http://www.piperlance.co.uk/index.html

It is a very nice Lance, it is sat in front of my hanger at the moment and yes it can be delivered. It is quick, well equipped and nice to fly.

You will need a checkout on it and if you don't have complex prop/retract sign-off that can be done on the aircraft as well. Guess who does it?

youngskywalker
15th May 2008, 11:18
Bose your 'da man!' is there anything you cant do? :}

S-Works
15th May 2008, 11:37
Bose your 'da man!' is there anything you cant do?

Alas yes:

Get my teenage daughter to dump the spotty oik and concentrate on study.
Get my teenage son to be interested in flying.
Stop my wife obsessing about shoes.
find slow growing grass that needs cutting once a year and always looks like a green carpet.
The list is quite long......

Or were you referring to something else?
:p

youngskywalker
15th May 2008, 11:45
Send me your daughters number and I'll do my best to help...:ok:

S-Works
15th May 2008, 12:21
Send me your daughters number and I'll do my best to help...

I have ten acres a shovel and a gun. Still want the number?
;)

lauchiemb
15th May 2008, 13:05
Would you be interested in disposing of some ageing greyhounds?

FullyFlapped
15th May 2008, 16:21
Launchiemb, you should have a PM, although sometimes they don't work for some reason ... let me know if not.

And Bose, having been there, the solution is simple ... take a serious interest in said oik. Treat him like your best friend ... he will soon lose any form of appeal (along with any "cool" he may possess in the eyes of #1 daughter. Works like a charm !

Failing that, have you explained acres/shovel/shotgun scenario to potential son-in-law ?

FF :ok:

S-Works
15th May 2008, 16:44
Failing that, have you explained acres/shovel/shotgun scenario to potential son-in-law ?

I have and for some reason I do not understand my daughter is not speaking to me on the grounds that I am 'unreasonable'. Honestly, me unreasonable....... :p

youngskywalker
15th May 2008, 18:05
I'd make you a great son in law, interest in aviation and we could bond like father and son! I could fly you around when your too old to remember what an aircraft is! :ok:

yawningdog
15th May 2008, 18:14
Cirrus SR22 at Turweston with Cumulus Aircraft Rentals. Can't get much quicker than that for single rent.

radicalrabit
15th May 2008, 18:17
Give said oik the shotgun (BIG BEAMING GRIN ON SAID OIKS FACE) and have him patrol the 10 acres on mole watch , will at least keep him away from said daughter for a few hours, By the time he gets back she will be washing her hair and doing her nails.:ok: How she will hate him if he gets one!

S-Works
16th May 2008, 07:54
I'd make you a great son in law, interest in aviation and we could bond like father and son! I could fly you around when your too old to remember what an aircraft is!

Oh god.............................. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Rugbyears
17th May 2008, 10:44
Bose-X will you kindly stop all this, my little lady is only 4, already I'm a nervous wreck - You know what 4 year old boys are like..! Only last night one was swaying up to the front door in a brand new red 4x4, I must however complement him on has super deal from the “Toys R Us” dealership, a real beauty, including working direction indicators, I thought to myself, there’s some money there, what line of business must he be in...!!!

God knows what I will be like when she is teenager…! :eek::mad::*:uhoh::=

shy_one
17th May 2008, 11:02
Rugbyears

You will adatp or die like the rest of us.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My youngest daughter is now 19 and there has be quite a lot of adapting been done my me and Mrs shy_one over the years.

Shy_one