PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Disabled Aircraft YSSY

Stationair8
13th May 2008, 08:44
Just checking the TAF/TTF for YSSY and ATIS is showing RWY 34R not available due disabled aircraft.

PyroTek
13th May 2008, 10:12
ATIS YSSY E 130934
APCH: EXP VISUAL APCH
RWY: 34L
OPR INFO: PARL RWY OPS IN PROG.
INDEPENDENT DEPARTURES IN PROG.
RWY 34R NOT AVBL DUE DISABLED ACFT
CONTACT 127.6 FOR START CLEARANCE

It seems so! What is it now?

thelummox
13th May 2008, 10:43
QF805 to CBR 737 dep. 17.55 rejected take off. Tyres blown and a/c disabled on runway. Passengers taken off by stairs and returned to domestic terminal. No injuries.

DH 200'
13th May 2008, 11:48
A Qantas flight from Sydney to Canberra has been aborted after the plane blew two tyres during take-off.
Qantas said flight QF805 was aborted at 6pm (AEST) on Tuesday as it began to take off from Sydney Airport.
All 92 passengers on board the 737 were booked on other flights leaving for Canberra.
"The (Qantas) flight crew acted in accordance with their training," a Qantas spokeswoman said.
"The incident has been referred to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau."

Bit bigger than a baron this time round.:ok:

handbagwitheyes
13th May 2008, 12:01
Anyone know what happened to the aircraft disabled on 34R tonight? (at sydney, of course, "centre of the universe")

Taildragger67
13th May 2008, 12:14
As this is actual news involving a RPT a/c, should it not be in D&G Reporting Points and not D&G Q/GA?

Mods?

PyroTek
13th May 2008, 15:20
Taildragger, You seem to have forgotten that OP asked a question!:p

Capt Claret
13th May 2008, 20:48
Geez, you'd have to be damned unlucky to blow two tyres during take-off. I wonder if the blown tyre thronmiester let them know?

But then, with two blown tyres, then a rejected take-off, I guess they were even luckier not to blow the other 4! :rolleyes:

Keg
13th May 2008, 21:43
Lol. Saw this in todays Australian.

A QANTAS jet blew two of its tyres during take-off yesterday, less than two months after a similar incident involving a Qantas jet in Los Angeles.

The 747-800 jet's flight from Sydney to Canberra was aborted after the tyres blew as it began take-off about 6pm.

Qantas said pilots followed safety procedures and the 92 passengers on board flight QF805 were rebooked on other flights to Canberra last night. "The flight crew acted in accordance with their training," a Qantas spokeswoman said.

The incident has been referred to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.

A Qantas 747-400 carrying 217 passengers blew three of its tyres during take-off on a Los Angeles to Sydney flight on March 26.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said a three-tyre blowout was a "consequence of a fully loaded aircraft".

A third Qantas 747 blew its tyres on take-off on a Frankfurt-bound flight from Singapore Airport on March 8, 2006. German and Australian authorities concluded there was no safety concern warranting major investigation.

In January, Qantas began a check of its 747 fleet after a mid-air electrical failure forced a plane flying to London to land in Bangkok using battery back-up power.

Yes. A real problem with that 747 fleet! :eek: :rolleyes: :E

tinpis
13th May 2008, 21:51
Oh...Singapore tyres? :E

Lasiorhinus
14th May 2008, 06:24
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said a three-tyre blowout was a "consequence of a fully loaded aircraft".

Oh for the love of... :ugh:

Note to Journalists: If you're going to quote someone who actually knows what they're talking about, print the whole darn quote! If you cut it in half, you will change the meaning!

sms777
14th May 2008, 08:29
I think i do know what happened...
It was the FO's first take off with a heavy duty brass button clutch which he released just a tad too quick resulting the massive wheelspin that lasted 1000 meters before the captain put his foot on the clutch but unable to prevent blowing the tyres and called it the day.:E

Qantas 787
14th May 2008, 09:47
With 92 passengers? 92 passengers on a 737 is never close to full the last time I checked.

Journalists never let facts get in the way of a good story

SM4 Pirate
14th May 2008, 11:01
92 PAX is a long way from full, however, that beast was next stop Perth, so was it loaded to the gunnels with fuel to avoid the costly fuel pick-up at CB?

It may have been very close to MTOW when rolling.

But I'm only adding to the speculation, I know not!

The OZ online site has that story edited now for the right type.

Stationair8
14th May 2008, 11:12
Was it the front tyres or back tyres?
Is the traction control in a B737 a 10 day MEL item still?