PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airline's employment of Russian and Indian pilots

titan
31st Jul 2000, 06:01
A few years ago Singapore Airlines looked into employing Russian and Indian pilots, for SIA and Silkair.
Does anyone know what happened to this program?
I believe some Russians made it as far as the simulator.

Kaptin M
31st Jul 2000, 08:02
It's not only SQ, titan. We are now working in a "Global Village" [what a load of cr@p], we're told, and management in many airlines take this to mean they'll employ the cheapest pilots they can get [to replace their current ones, either through attrition, or confrontation].

With training, most candidates can be brought to the minimum standard required by the licencing authorities, and the airline company concerned.

It's a simple fact, that some nationalities have a lower personal standard of living, than others, and will work for less money, rather than asking for the higher salary of their peers.

Without wanting to start a 'tit-for-tat', I know a certain group of expatriate F/O's who came to SIA, for much less than their then counterparts were receiving. Let's leave it at that, okay.

A quote from PPRuNe some 4 years or so ago...."pilots eat pilots.".

How sadly true!

Established !
31st Jul 2000, 08:51
Titan,
SQ have been looking at OZzys and Brits too. Infact SQ has been looking at Europeans, Africans, Americans( N & S ),Asians and Eskimos. Do you have have a problem with any of them?

Gladiator
31st Jul 2000, 09:38
Eskimos! Muk Tuk good.

Riddle me this. Happiness is a smiling Eskimo.

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 31 July 2000).]

titan
31st Jul 2000, 11:22
I was curious as to whether the use of the Russian pilots was a backlash against the problems they were having with the American, Australian, Brits, etc(westerners). Were they chasing a "more compliant" pilot or was it simply because they were going to pay them less money. Surely having English as a natural language would be a big plus for an international airline i.e. Indians.
So, was there a masterplan, or was it just a case of knee jerk reaction to the resignations, or was it being used as a threat?
More importantly, what became of it.
Established, relax, Im not digging at anyone, just enquiring.

joblessflyer
31st Jul 2000, 13:21
Dear fellow pilots,
Please allow me to speak out my personal point of view though I may be wrong. Singapore Airlines has always prefer and taking expat pilots since day one though minority of the Singaporean made it to the flight deck. The problem is there is this bunch of senior Malaysian or ex-Malaysian pilots who joined SQ in the early days and most of them are holding management position and are very senior.When comes to selecting of cadet pilots,this bunch of people will delibrately select their own people which is the Malaysian Chinese in collaborate with the Singapore Government policy to recruit the Malaysian Chinese from Malaysia to become Singaporean by giving them jobs and citizenship later.SQ will fully sponsor the new expat pilots for ab-intial pilot training in London,give them their type rating on the Boeing or Airbus,force them to take up citizenship when they reached time as Captain.What happen is, these pilots now whom are ready for command refused to give up their Malaysian citizenship in lieu for the promotion went back to serve MAS or other Airlines leaving a serious shortage of commanders for Singapore Airlines.That is why today SQ has to grab anything that they can get hold of to fly their aircraft because of their policy of not taking and training their own nationals in the early days.Anyway,to my knowledge,there are more than 100 self-sponsored Singaporean pilots who went for their ATPL/CPL training in US,UK,Malaysia,Australia,New Zeland and other part of the world are not able to get a job with SQ or SilkAir.These pilots spent their families live saving,borrow money from banks and a few even killed themselves in air accident just wish to serve their own national airlines.In exception,unless you have good connection in SQ or you are an ex-
air force pilot then you will get a chance to fly for Singapore Airlines.There is a saying in local Singaporean SQ wannabe: give up your Singapore citizenship,become a Malaysian, apply for SQ then become Singaporean!

I would like you guys to know that the local SQ wannabe are not racist or dislike other nationals to fly for them,is just that why are the local Singaporean are not given a chance to be trained and serve their national airlines?

[This message has been edited by joblessflyer (edited 31 July 2000).]

Whiskery
31st Jul 2000, 13:31
Gladys - identifying Ppruners! Muk Tuk no good!

Riddle you this. Happiness is a warm 727. (Sorry Guv)

Tits,

There is no hidden agenda Mate. As "M" has said,everyone has a price and can be bought for that price. Now SQ is a business,a very profitable business,and has a duty to shareholders to remain so. I don't think Established implied you were digging at anyone,he was merely asking a question.
I would ask the same question - DO You ?

titan
31st Jul 2000, 16:14
JoblessFlyer, I honestly feel sorry for you. What seems to be missing with so many of the local SIA pilots is their love of flying. You simply dont see people parked by the road near the runway watching planes come and go, and the little kids with mouths agape in awe pushing their faces up against the chain-link fence. Schipol on a Sunday was great for that.
Such a pity that people like you who made the committment and followed your dream are then passed over for being too "aggressive". Maybe this relates back to their "compliant" pilot needs.
Sadly, most of the prefered Singaporean pilots were ex-military and seem to show a leaning towards a love of power rather than flying.

Whiskery & Established:
I take people as they come and judge them only on one trait: INTEGRITY. This is a trait I found lacking in so much of the Singaporean psyche. Of course I found jewels, but they invariably got rolled by the underhanded game of Kiasu politics that corrupts their systems. The 3 camps in SIA Flight Ops can offer no finer example.

Its a dog eat dog world out there - well it was until the hawker centres came along, anyway! :)

Slasher
31st Jul 2000, 18:55
Titan
Anyone with any love of flying will have it beaten out of them by SQ. On average it usualy takes 6 months for them to knock the wind out of your sails. That little snot-nosed brat TT did it to me in 5 days.

Established !
31st Jul 2000, 19:20
Titan,
'INTEGRITY' you should know the meaning of the word before you judge.

Goldwing2000
31st Jul 2000, 20:56
Forget dog eat dog, what about all of us on this thread? No sooner has Tits,Kaptin M,Whiskery or Slasher(not forgetting the indomitable Gladys) does some posting then it's all hands to the pump to douse the flames. Look,boys try to get a handle on yourselves and Tits,I know what you're saying and where you're coming from but let's not start a tit for tat everytime the keyboard gets cranked up! ;)

-------------
If all else fails then,funk it! :)

titan
1st Aug 2000, 04:38
Slasher, I understand what you say. I was channelled to "KFC" for extra special treatment.
Funny little incident happened in Nagoya. Here is this mean nasty litle man walking down the street, and he actually asked the engineer and myself to walk on either side of him to stop people coming near him, then as we walk along he starts telling us about how terrified he is of the dentist. It was so hard not to laugh at such a pathetic creature.

The Singapore system created this man, and SIA empowered him.

But anyhow, back to the subject........

Whiskery
1st Aug 2000, 07:21
Slasher - he was a particularly nasty piece of work. Remember the Barry/Berry incident,he didn't even have the aggetts to apologise! I would not let the likes of him turn me off flying,I wouldn't give him the satisfaction!

Titan - KFC as with FK (rymes with Oh!)suffered BIG time from the little man syndrome and lack of natural flying ability. The Singapore system did NOT create them, they were born like it!

Gladiator
1st Aug 2000, 19:34
Whos is KFC Titan? Are you talking about the little man that once got run over by a car (the car had APLA-S sticker on the windscreen)?

Or is it Kentucky Fried Chicken?

There were a few very nice chaps. On a double crew to LHR, the Captain (Singaporean)made up my bunk while I was out of the bunk (changed bed sheets and pillow covers). He did it out of pure niceness. The man was obviously happy at home.

In the ranks of management an example of a real nice person from the heart is G. Yeap.

titan
2nd Aug 2000, 11:23
Thats the nasty little man Gladiator.
Please don't get me wrong, as I have said numerous times before, I did meet some noble people. Victor and Dudley in Ops, Baldev and Gerry at ALPA-S, and a great training FO called JC who told SIA to stick their job and became a share trader instead.
Sadly, these people were like pearls on a beach.

[This message has been edited by titan (edited 02 August 2000).]

boeinglover
2nd Aug 2000, 13:25
joblessflyer, from what you mentioned, it seems like there is really very slim hope for local guys to join SQ as cadet pilots. So what's the point of still advertising the position in our local papers when they actually prefer Malaysian chinese!! Would really make local guys lose heart in hearing this news. Guess tat's life.......huh!!

Sob!!

Gladiator
2nd Aug 2000, 19:50
joblessflyer and boeinglover, policies in Singapore are what I call, karoke lounge policies.

Much like the policies of the government of Singapore they are made at the spare of the moment without much thought or planning. I saw many examples in my six and a half years in Fort Singapura. Examples range from CPF policy to PR status for foreigners to many other aspects of daily life. I had to read the Strait Times to find out what they have cooked up next.

It is no secret that SIA only employs Chinese Malaysians. I saw only one Malay Malaysian at SIA. Discrimination also was evident regarding PR status. If you were Indian Malaysian as apposed to Chinese Malaysian. At one time no PR for caucasians (no PR, no property loan, no make money), a few years down the road after the property prices crashed, give the caucasians PR as fast as possible.

Whatever the motive of the policies be rest assured it is designed to exploit the individual. An Indian from India would be more satisfied at SIA since life in Singapore would be an upgrade. A Malaysian would appreciate the large difference in the exchange rate.

Even in the ranks of cabin crew it is no secret that SIA considers Malaysians better workers than Singaporeans. Many articles have appeared in the Straits Times regarding this topic. One story was how the Malaysian cabin crew are better than the Singaporean cabin crew at folding blankets. Another story told to me by an IFS while out station was about a new hire Singaporean cabin crew that had forgotten to bring her passport, her excuse was, "the maid did not pack my passport".

Do not discount the possibility of a flying job outside Singapore. Trust me, SIA is one of the worst employers in the airline industry. You will do the most work for the least amount of money. There are a lot of flying jobs available worldwide with better pay as well as working conditions. The key thing is if you really love flying, maintain focus and you will eventually get there.

Kaptin M
4th Aug 2000, 18:21
Glad, it may seem that I'm "picking" on you - however, by your own admission, Singapore Airlines is the ONLY major airline for whom you have flown, and so your "..Trust me, SIA is one of the worst employers in the airline industry...." is not based on first hand experience [as you would, no doubt, wish many to believe], but, rather, a bitter'n'twisted experience in the real world.

As you have admitted yourself, you have returned to the same employer you had prior to SQ.....a little akin to running back to the security of Mummy's apron when the big boys decided to thump you, because you stuck your tongue out at them...isn't it??!!

cheersnbeers
6th Aug 2000, 22:04
Gladiator: Could you please confirm your comments a while back that Singapore Airlines only hires Malaysian Chinese???
Please advise if you really do want to stick to this point of view because i think it may be seriously wrong. If it were true...there sure are a lot of Malaysian non-Chinese in phenomenal disguises in SIA pilot's uniforms out there. Please check your facts and advise.

------------------

VelvetStrokes
7th Aug 2000, 02:48
I know I tend to harp on about your English Glady; but really - you do shoot yourself in the foot.

Quote:
It is no secret that SIA only employs Chinese Malaysians. I saw only one Malay Malaysian at SIA. Discrimination also was evident regarding PR status. If you were Indian Malaysian as apposed to Chinese Malaysian. At one time no PR for caucasians

Now is it your contention that SIA only employ Chinese Malaysians, because you juxtapose that with direct contradictions. Incidentally, as CheersandBeers states, if SIA did only employ Chinese Malaysians, then the flight crew at the front end of my SIA flight were in incredibly good disguise as Europeans.

I note also that you get your stories from the Strait Times and gossip - so they're not really first-hand knowledge, but scuttlebutt you pick up.

In the interests of verity, it would be nice if you confirmed that what you state is fact actually is. That you, at least, read what you write before you press submit and ensure that it makes sense.

Gladiator
7th Aug 2000, 11:37
The Malay faces you see are Singaporean Malays. Velvet puurr probably does not understand the difference between a Malay Malaysian as apposed to a Chinese Malaysian.

In the Singapore Airlines vs. Mike DeMarco, SIA produced names of pilots (for reason not relevant to this topic).

85 pilots assigned to B747-400 during a given period of time in 1992 to 1995.

15 Malaysians, (all Chinese, 0 Malay)
01 Thai
45 Singaporean,(3 Malay)
13 Australian
09 United Kingdom
01 Norway
01 Yugoslav

No gosip, no tabloid, just facts. Do not make me list their names and staff number.

cheersnbeers
7th Aug 2000, 13:58
Gladiator: I certainly know the difference between the various races and nationalities in Singapore. Could you please answer the question I asked a few posts ago. Do you still stand by the statement : It is no secret that SIA employs only Chinese Malaysians?
Please review carefully and revert.....and try to avoid the foot with the gunshot.

Gladiator
7th Aug 2000, 21:04
Of the Malaysians employed for placement on the B747-400 in 92 to 95, 87% were Chinese, 13% Indian, 0% Malay.

The point is there are no Malay Malaysians at lease in that period. May Be you can tell us the ratio of Malay Malaysian vs Chinese Malaysians. As I said before I only know of one.

VelvetStrokes
8th Aug 2000, 04:46
Gladys I'm quite capable of differentiating between racial aub-types. Perhaps though my English is not clear enough for you - I stated that they were European. However, my contention and CheersandBeers is that you made a statement, which was basically inaccurate. Now you quote figures which underline your error (are these supposed to impress us). No amount of wriggling will get you off the hook, you're wrong pure and simple.

Quote:
Many articles have appeared in the Straits Times regarding this topic. One story was how the Malaysian cabin crew are better than the Singaporean cabin crew at folding blankets. Another story told to me by an IFS while out station was about a new hire Singaporean cabin crew that had forgotten to bring her passport, her excuse was, "the maid did not pack my passport".

these are not facts, they are gossip.

[This message has been edited by VelvetStrokes (edited 08 August 2000).]

cheersnbeers
8th Aug 2000, 09:54
Gladiator: Thank you for your satistics. In the light of them, do you consider the 13% Malaysian Indians who were employed for placement on the B744 as Malaysian Chinese?
For the third time: Could you please answer my query to you. Do you stand by your statement that "Singapore Airlines employs only Malaysian Chinese"?

Gladiator
8th Aug 2000, 11:28
Velvet puurr get a boyfriend.

Cheersnbeers, from statistics, the ratio of Malay Malaysians as apposed to non-Malay Malaysians are such to safely say 99% are non Malay Malaysians.

Show me statistics that proves otherwise including but not limited to 1992 to 1995.

Remember I have names, staff numbers, date of hire and date of appointments.

VelvetStrokes
8th Aug 2000, 21:42
Gladys, why - do you need one

Still always know when you're in a hole you dug for yourself - you resort to abuse.

So, I assume you are unable to answer my questions with clarity and truth - oh well, so what's new.

Goldwing2000
9th Aug 2000, 05:01
My,aren't you the sensitive one Velvetstrokes. Asking you to get a boyfriend isn't abuse unless ofcourse you're lesbian. :)

---------------
If you do what you always do, you get what you always got!

VelvetStrokes
10th Aug 2000, 15:43
Goldie - you and I both know that Gladys meant this as an insult - implied or otherwise. In other threads he has juxtaposed this comment with some really unpleasant suggestions towards me.

Valhalla 4
10th Aug 2000, 17:02
Well Gladiator {Vala) you relly are a bitchy little piece. You were the one who complained about one off the threads turning into a pi55ing competition but it is obvius to all that this is your form of attack. Personal insults, inuendo, and slander to try to discrdit others.

You deserve everything Singapore Airlines gives you. Personally i hope it costs you bucketfulls.

Go Singapore GO!

cheersnbeers
11th Aug 2000, 04:59
Gladiator: Could you please tell me whether you stand by your original statement.
Malaysia consists basically of Malaysian Malays, Malaysian Chinese, Malaysian Indians and Malaysian Natives (Idegenous) people. By quoting the statistics that you have, IMHO you have:
a. shown that SIA employs not only Malaysian Chinese.
b. shown that you have no clue about Malaysian population make-up
c. shown that you will attempt to avoid answering a straight question with a straight answer.
d. shown that you do not practise what you profess to teach ie loss of face is as much a problem to you as it is to those you are fighting.
e. shwon that you cannot be honest and truthful enough to admit you made a mistake.

Gladiator
11th Aug 2000, 06:03
What is the question? Please ask your question again more directly and more clearly. The statistics are not mine. They are names of pilots provided by SIA.

Would you care to access the entire SIA pilot list. Let us discover the ratio of Malay Malaysians as apposed to Chinese and Indian Malaysians.

Are we on the same page?

cheersnbeers
11th Aug 2000, 10:20
Gladiator: Please refer to my 3 previous posts for the question. The stats may be SIA's but did you interpret them correctly to say " SIA employs only Malaysian Chinese". I asked you three times and now please for everyone's sake don't feign not knowing what it was.
The stats you presented showed 13% Malaysian Indians were hired surely this fact in itself negates your proposition.

1-stripper
11th Aug 2000, 19:28
Stupid is what stupid does

Gladiator
11th Aug 2000, 20:48
The core of the discussion was the ratio of Chinese Malaysian as apposed to Malay Malaysian. If you so wish I will change it to Chinese Malaysian as apposed to Malay Malaysian and other.

That still does not change the core of the discussion. The ratio is still 87% Chinese, 13% Indian and 0% Malay.

Kaptin M
12th Aug 2000, 03:03
So what's the relevance of this? How many Iranian Iranees - as opposed to American Iranees - does Alaska Airlines employ?

There were Malay Malaysians employed by SQ until the early 90's, however they volutarily left for a quick Command with MAS. But you already know that, Gladiator.

You also know the reason WHY the Malaysians [and you have stated that there are Malay Singaporeans employed] adopt Singapore citzenship, Gladiator.

So again i ask, what is your point here?

Goldwing2000
12th Aug 2000, 04:41
Frankly who gives a sh it about the number of chinese,malays, indians or other indegenous groups that Sq employ. The facts are that Sq take mainly Chinese Malaysian(notice I said fact) and do not take many Malay Malaysian and the pilots that fly on SQ know this. These are not hearsay or rumour but are pure and simple facts. Why some of you may cry? Well,frankly it stinks of racism or a loath for the latter but the facts speak for themselves. There might be a thousand reasons which I won't go into, suffice to say that the Malay Malaysians are not a welcome lot.

---------------
I don't need a frontal lobotomy I prefer a bottle infront of me! :)

titan
12th Aug 2000, 07:28
Of the 11 International Human Rights Treaties Singapore has signed - NONE!
Don't waste your breathe on racial and sexual discrimination matters in Singapore as the Courts have yet to progress that far, for all the reasons stated above.

Enough has been said - thread closed.

Kaptin M
12th Aug 2000, 08:48
But titan, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't YOU start this thread by asking what had happened to the Indians and Russians that SIA recruited.

I assume they were Indian Indians, and Russian Russians, and not Chinese Indians nor Chinese Russians.

Gladiator
12th Aug 2000, 12:21
The Malaysians that left SIA to go to MAS, were they Malay Malaysians or Chinese Malaysians? There are not that many Malay Malaysians at SIA to begin with. I only know of one or two.

aerobridge
12th Aug 2000, 14:37
How come SIA takes in only Malaysian non- Malays? Malaysian Malays who qualify to be pilots are taken up by Malaysia Airlines. Goldwing may know the answer to this question. Since the split of MSA in 1972, how many non Malay Malaysians have been accepted by Malaysia Airlines? Even though the non-Malay population of Malaysia was about 40% then, only a token few non-Malays were trained by MAS as it was known then. The real reason why there are so many non- Malay Malaysians in SIA is because Malysia Airlines won't give them flying jobs because of discriminatory policies in the country.

Goldwing, if you are a bumi, you should know better.

Goldwing2000
12th Aug 2000, 15:55
Aerobridge, no, I'm not a bumi, though it has it's privileges as you all know. There is and has been a policy within Malaysia and more specifically MAS that non-Malay Malaysian come further down the opportunity ladder in all walks of life eventhough the labour law decrees that a certain number of non-bumi has to be employed.I'm rather skeptical whether or not this is actually adhered to in any case. With the split of MSA into the two well known airlines, most of the chinese Malaysian joined SQ while as you've all guessed by now, the Malay Malaysian stuck to MAS like leeches. The PM for all the good things he's done to Malaysia, this was the one area he sadly neglected and unfortunately this manifasted itself to the point that the South African use to call this phenomena 'Apartheid'. :mad: SQ in some shape or form are in the same boat as MAS when it comes to their hiring practices and this is borne out in the above figures. Ces't la vie!!!!

--------------
If you do what you always do, you get what you always got!

aerobridge
12th Aug 2000, 16:32
Goldwing, there is a big difference between MAS and SIA in their cadet pilot recruitment process. In Malaysia, race is a major factor regardless of capability. Like I said earlier, the ratio of non-Malays recruited by MAS is highly disproportionate compared to the Malays. You are one of the lucky few and I can say you must be really good if you got in on your own merits.
Except for a privilege few, the experience of flight is only a dream for the youths in this part of the world. Unlike the West, where general aviation and private flying are readily available, our youths can only profess their love of flying. So how does an airline choose cadets from interested but zero experience wannabees? Of course they must be, first of all, medically fit. What is the next criteria? Educational qualifications and aptitude. You tell me, based on these criteria, when SIA goes to Malaysia to recruit cadet pilots, which races are most likely to be selected? Being a non-bumi, maybe you can understand the brain-drain Malaysia faces. You will be surprised how many Malaysian doctors who qualify in Singapore are working in the Singapore General Hospital. You won't find any Malaysian Malay doctors there. Why? It is because these non-Malays, even though they are better qualified are not given the opportunities to be doctors in Malaysia. And Singapore recognises their talents. The same goes for pilots. I am one example.

There are a few Malaysian Malays flying in SIA. They are good.

Goldwing2000
12th Aug 2000, 19:13
Aerobridge, Sq unfortunately isn't that disimilar to MAS on the recruitment front. A good friend of mine was on an SQ interview/aptitude day in Malaysia. There were around 50-60 candidates of which the majority were Chinese followed by Indians and only two bumis. Of these two bumis,one was a qualified lawyer and the other had a business degree from Australia. Guess what? You're right, both were rejected even though academically way above most of the other candidates. There is a policy within SQ to limit bumis eventhough they come to Malaysia to recruit the majority of cadet pilots.(I'm not standing up for the bumis here but want an equal oppotunity platform for everyone) One must ask why do these two reputable airlines have this policy in this day and age. I know the answer to the former but am baffled as to the latter! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

---------------
I don't need a frontal lobotomy I prefer a bottle infront of me!

addinfurnightem
13th Aug 2000, 22:13
Did the the lawyer or the lad with the degree actualy pass the apptitude tests?
Many are called but few are chosen.

Kaptin M
14th Aug 2000, 00:49
Were they being interviewed for pilot positions, or Legal Department/Accounting Department positions?

Wake up Goldie, you've got aa big chip on your shoulder.

Goldwing2000
14th Aug 2000, 03:58
The only chip on my shoulder is when nepotism and racism becomes a dominant issue but then you Aussies wouldn't know anything about that would you? Unfortunately it must be a crime in your books for bumis to become pilots.You're more ignorant and naive then you lead us to believe. What do you think they were there for? To whistle dixie!!!! Is it against all realms of your imagination that these guys actually wanted to become pilots irrespective of their degrees and when SQ comes dancing along to Malaysia to recruit their cadets, do you think they were only ever going to get Chinese and Indians? It's not me that needs to wake up to the real world but YOU cos at the moment you seem to be in a coma!!

----------------
If you do what you always do,you get what you always got!

Kaptin M
14th Aug 2000, 09:56
Goldenwhinger, I've made no racist remarks in relation to bumiputras - for your information I have flown with many, and believe them to be damn fine pilots, and good lateral thinkers on the whole. I also happen to have several Malay friends, the pilots among them being your checkers and trainers in MAS.

You, however, have asserted that it is BECAUSE they are bumis, they have been rejected. You stated that 50-60 candidates were tested, but you haven't told us what their qualifications were, nor the aeronautical experience of any of them.

You my friend, need a good kick in the backside from some of the true Malays, who don't rely on the sympathy vote to get them where they want to go, but rather on their own merits and achievements - which is what got my friends where they are now.

Goldwing2000
14th Aug 2000, 15:46
Wake up to the real world Kaptin Bonzo. You argue the toss just for the sake of getting attention when in reality you have no idea what you say! Do you think you are the only person with bumi friends? Don't put words in my mouth when it comes down to their flying ability when none was mentioned and certainly do not patronize me even if you live and work in Malaysia.You better check your facts cos the amount of BS that spews out your backside is really amazing.
How many Bumis actually fly for SQ compared to the Chinese and Indians when the recruitment drive always takes place and many times a year in Malaysia.Answer me that question when the majority of the population in Malaysia are Bumis. Am I suppose to know what 50-60 candidates flying experiences are? Get real! Suffice to say that maybe 20%-30% would have had some sort of flying licence and all would have had SPM,some with STPM and degrees. As mentioned above SQ are really no different to MAS, it's not what you know but what's your skin colour.

-----------------
I don't need a frontal lobotomy I prefer a bottle infront of me!

aerobridge
14th Aug 2000, 16:28
Goldwing,

Out of curiosity, why have you taken an interest in SIA's affairs? It is a friendly question so don't go off on a tangent.

Kaptin M
14th Aug 2000, 17:12
Goldi, you've really lost the plot - your aggro, fired by your own racist bigotry, leads you to believe that because an airline, in this case SIA, does interviews in Malaysia, it is obligated to take a majority of Bumiputras. You said:

"There were around 50-60 candidates of which the majority were Chinese followed by Indians and only two bumis."...

..so wouldn't it stand to reason, that the odds of one of those two being selected was 2-3.2% [or is basic math beyond your comprehension also].

A word of advice - if you are going to quote numbers [as you have], at least have some hard facts to back up your statements, eg. you said:

"Of these two bumis,one was a qualified lawyer and the other had a business degree from Australia.", and,
"Am I suppose to know what 50-60 candidates flying experiences are? Get real! Suffice to say that maybe 20%-30% would have had some sort of flying licence and all would have had SPM,some with STPM and degrees."

It's possible that ALL the others had Aeronautical and/or Physics degrees, and 1,000 hours plus..can you say with any certainty they didn't?.....NO!

But you want to push the "because they were bumis, they were discriminated against" bs.

YOU are the racist, Goldwing - of the worst type!

Goldwing2000
14th Aug 2000, 18:51
There you go again puting words in people's mouth.Where do you have the right to call me racist? I have mentioned enough times in the past that I'm anything but. It's the same with your group of dim-wits where if you don't have anything concrete to say you inevitably make things up. The fact that they weren't chosen shows that you maths is not up to scratch. In the period 92-95 there were none,zero,zilch nada Bumis taken by SQ. Are you really that stupid that you need bloody specs to see the figures."It's possible that ALL the others had Aeronautical and/or Physics degrees,and 1000 hours...can you say with any certainty that they didn't...NO!" Well, you forgot the Phd and MBA's. No I can't say for certain and neither can you but I'll hazard a wild guess that you are way off the mark. The fact is the situation in SQ are the bumis come last and if there're very,very lucky then only a very minute handful are taken-this is the reality and whether you want to believe it or not,is your perogative.
SQ are ofcourse not obligated to choose whomever they wish not to,and they certainly don't,but don't come on here and tell me they are an equal opportunity employer cos they're not.

---------------
If you do what you always do,you get what you always got!

Kaptin M
14th Aug 2000, 19:50
Goldwhinge, the ONLY ones you're not prejudiced against are Bumiputras - that is, after all the whole thrust of your flimsy, abusive argument. You don't care how many Malaysian Indians, or Malaysian Chinese have been recruited...ONLY Malaysian Malays - and that, my friend is racist.

You are one of those espousing [on the R&N "For Malaysian Pilots Only" thread] on the one hand, the great, multi-cultural Malaysia, under Mahatir, and on the other verbally abusing the Muslims who follow Anwar Ibrahim. Yet here, you lambast SIA for taking a mix of Malaysians, rather than Bumiputras en masse, because they are bumis. You ARE a confused chap.

Perhaps SQ doesn't want the inhouse fighting that is evident in by the posts on the R&N board.

Think about it.

Goldwing2000
15th Aug 2000, 02:41
Kaptin Bonzo, it is quite clear here that the only one bringing up the racist element here is you. What, can't live with your conscience anymore? Oh, I forgot you got a few Bumi friends. Funny how you should bring up the R&N thread "For Malaysian Pilots only" when psychos like you are extolling all the virtues of an Islamic state-I wonder what your friends would think if you have the guts to tell them but I suspect you're a hypocrite really sucking up to them but quitely brandishing everyone a racist with your twisted arguments which really don't hold water.It's quite evident that you are anti-Mahathir from your previous posts,so IMHO if you don't like it, feel free to pack your bags and get out,it is after all still a free country,but with people like you, not for very much longer. These so called Muslims that you say I'm verbally abusing are pro-Taliban fanatics,I'm sure even you can distinguish the difference but, then again I'm beginning to find that doubtful. :rolleyes:

--------------
Just because we don't get any complaints doesn't mean our parachutes are perfect.

Sunny
9th Sep 2000, 08:17
It's nice that you give us figures from 92 to 95, but what about from 95 to 00? I have seen many Indian Malaysians joining up and checking out as FO's. So what are you talking about only Chinese Malaysians being employed.As for the 50-60 candidates,just because they are academically qualified, it does'nt mean that they have the right aptitude for flying. Selecting people to work as pilots based on their academic records is not only irrational, but downright idiotic. Would you prefer to have an academic at the controls, or someone who has the aptitude for such work? Even if they had licences, does'nt mean that they would be hired. Just because they went for the interview, does'nt mean that they have to hire someone. Have you been to the walk in interviews in Singapore? I've seen hundreds of guys turn up, some with CPL's and IR's and they didn't make it either. So stop bitching about those 2 guys and run along and play nice.

MileHi
14th Sep 2000, 14:56
Damn, and I thought it was bad at my airline!
Go boys.....!

kurmitola
16th Sep 2000, 20:00
Kaptin M, you said a few malaysian malays left SQ for a faster command in MAS in the early 90s...is that a fact or a wild guess ? Better know what you are talking about my man!

addinfurnightem
17th Sep 2000, 10:35
It is a fact, I was here and know some of the lads who left, don't remember actual numbers but there were a few. Don't know if they all actually got the promised commands but I have spoken to one B737 captain who did. Facts checked OK!?

kurmitola
17th Sep 2000, 16:58
Facts checked OK but facts are WRONG !! ( excuse my english !).So you mean to say these people are Malaysian Malays as what K 'M' had mentioned. I am sorry guys ..I have to tell you its not true ( ie its a lie !!)There are several:
A. Arul ( we call him Ular in MH )
R. Balakrishnan, KK Yong, YW Choo, F.Cheah, Rama.....These people are definitely not Malays. Guys, please keep to the thread and lets not all this racial thing gets into play.SQ has its policy and we hav ours and if you dont like any of them theres several flights a day out of KUL or SIN. What were we talking about ? Yeah....bout that Russian and Indian pilots joining SQ. Dont see anything wrong with that. I wish the training in MH is as good as SQ......and the money is a lot better as well and dont mind the few months profit sharing as compared to backdate in instalments up north !!!!