View Full Version : Frankfurt EDDF parallel approach - is it permitted?

GfaRm
8th May 2008, 22:18
I was lucky enough to take these pictures http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4700/eddfparallelapproachso0.jpg totally by chance while making short stop on my usual bicycle route. I was quite shocked seeing two Lufthansa planes approaching EDDF from the east (RWYs 25) in parallel configuration.
I don't know whether something has changed in regulations here in Germany and EDDF in particular but until now I though that such a parallel approaches were prohibited due to proximity of parallel runways.
How is it possible here in Frankfurt? Any professional comment will be appreciated.
Gregor

LGWFLYR
9th May 2008, 00:18
Hi Gregor,

I think you'll find that the two runways your refering to are just wide enough apart to allow parallel ops. I've been through FRA a few times and have noticed exactly what you saw. I think in a nutshell, if it was illegal you most definatly would not have seen what you did :ok:

411A
9th May 2008, 01:47
At FRA?
Yes, quite legal, under certain circumstances.
Been there, done that...many times.
The beer ain't bad, either.:ok:

CheekyVisual
9th May 2008, 08:46
FRA isn't strictly a full parallel approach. ATC usually allow a minimum gap (although smaller than required for arrivals on the same runway) between aircraft making simultaneous approaches on the east / west runways. By running parallel they can also allow departures off both runways simultaneously although they favour 18 25R / 07L. The interesting one is doing the VOR approach to 25 as it lines you up perfectly with the centre taxyway. If you want real parallel approach excitement try 33 L/R in Madrid !

Oh and concur the beer is very good.

cheesycol
9th May 2008, 20:54
Second that, would only happen when accepting own visual seperation.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th May 2008, 09:21
<<I was quite shocked>>

You should not be; the pilots and controllers know what's happening.

GfaRm
11th May 2008, 01:21
"You should not be; the pilots and controllers know what's happening."

I guess so :-) But one of my friends working for Lufthansa at EDDF said that probably one of the controllers made a mistake which I didn't belive could happen! Thanks for all of your input!