PDA

View Full Version : Airfield + Camp Site

XX621
7th May 2008, 12:23
Hello all,
Anyone know of a small friendly airfield with its own, or within walking distance of, camp site in the south? (by south I mean below a line the M4 to Thames estuary). Preferably Hampshire or Devon.
Thks.

Blink182
7th May 2008, 12:47
Camping on site usually allowed at Popham and at Compton Abbas..

More far flung destinations........ Bolt Head , Perranporth ( very nice campsite 250 mtrs away ), Croft Farm , Lands End.

egbgstudent
7th May 2008, 12:50
If you are flying a machine with reasonable short field abilities, you could try Farway Common (located a few miles south of Dunkeswell).

This is an idyllic private strip where the owner lives on site. I am sure that if you call they may provide you with the sanctuary you seek (see lockyears farmstrip guide, or ukga.com)

Cessna-172-Pilot
7th May 2008, 13:18
Perranporth is a nice airfield to visit and campsites on doorstep. Lovely scenery on the way there, well worth a visit.
C172

gasax
7th May 2008, 13:35
Try the 'search this forum' button. This is a regular query with dozens of answers available.

Mike Cross
7th May 2008, 15:48
Or if you don't mind going slightly further south there's a campsite opposite the clubhouse at Quiberon in Britanny!

squirrelysquirrel
7th May 2008, 16:14
Sandown is a nice one, as is Compton Abbas and also Shobdon

Piper.Classique
7th May 2008, 16:31
Yes, all nice airfields, but

Sandown is a nice one, as is Compton Abbas and also Shobdon
Shobdon isn't exactly in the south:)

Try France......Most small airfields will let you camp on site. Abbeville springs to mind, and they will do you 24 hr prn customs. Further afield the Loire valley is nice, or come to Chauvigny in the Vienne. I can promise you a welcome there.

squirrelysquirrel
7th May 2008, 18:01
Fair point, but it is when you are up North in Lancaster...

airborne_artist
7th May 2008, 18:50
I'm sure Dennis would let you pitch a tent at Chiltern Park/Ipsden, near Wallingford. He might even give you a lift to the pub in South Stoke, it's not too far.

Jodelman
7th May 2008, 19:56
Abbeville springs to mind, and they will do you 24 hr prn customs

Abbeville is only 4 hours prior notice for customs.

Mark 1
8th May 2008, 10:31
I know people have camped at Eggesford by prior arrangement.

I gather the owner spends most of the summer in his caravan there while he rents out his home.
Nice spot and freindly people.

It might also be worth talking to Terry Case at Farway Common.

Google out 'devonstrut' for some useful contacts.

rans6andrew
8th May 2008, 12:16
Many airfields will allow camping "under the wing" if you ask.

How much of a campsite do you want?

When do you want to do it?

Exactly where are you trying to visit?

I have camped at Clench Common (microlight airfield, loo available in the night), Wing Farm (GA and Micro, loo and shower available), Sandown (right next to a caravan park, loo and shower available), Kemble (loo available when restaurant open).

eyeinthesky
8th May 2008, 18:46
Alderney has a campsite right next to a lovely beach. It is at the other end of the Island to the airfield, but it is a very small island!