PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Failure 737

fastidious bob
6th May 2008, 20:49
Tyre failure on take off

Boeing 737

The FCTM states that you may continue to your destination, however, I have read that you should keep the gear down and land ASAP. My question is would you leave the gear down and land or raise the gear and continue to your destination, considering that there are no abnormal indications?

A Very Civil Pilot
6th May 2008, 21:09
If you've raised the gear, there is no reason you cannot continue to destination [it may be a more suitable airfield anyway]. On an NG, the gear will not stay raised [on the damaged side] so you may not have enough fuel to make it to destination [increased drag].

slip and turn
6th May 2008, 21:47
Excuse this if it is a daft question, how can you be sure from the flightdeck that nothing else is damaged but the tyre, and even if it is just the tyre, that it is not a fire hazard that you have just stowed away?

propnut
7th May 2008, 13:30
737ng blew a tyre recently in Sydney on T/off. Selected gear up and continued. NOT a good decision. Tyre shreds did not break fusible tube for up pressure, gear did go up and thrashing did lots of damage. If strayed down damage would've been limited to flaps?
Too many bits n pieces in wheel wells to risk it if aware of blow out!!

fastidious bob
7th May 2008, 15:17
I do not understand how lots of thrashing can cause damage. When you move the gear to up this automatically applies the brakes. Am I missing something?

c130jage
7th May 2008, 17:15
You Also Need To Be Sure That The Retracted Gear Is Going To Succesfully Extend With A Stowed damaged Tyre/ Wheel/leg In A Cramped Bay.
A DEFLATED NLG TYRE MAY NOT ABUTT THE BRAKES THEN YOU HAVE A SPINNING DAMAGED TYRE IN THE BAY, OUCH

fastidious bob
7th May 2008, 20:39
I was refering to the main gear.

slip and turn
8th May 2008, 10:25
So bob, has the right answer been touched upon, or ...?

propnut
8th May 2008, 13:23
The brakes are applied by UP pressure, however, if the outer carcass has detached from the tyre core (as this one did), it's just like I said, a nasty thrashing machine.

Mach E Avelli
10th May 2008, 03:02
If you know that you have blown a tyre, best option is to leave gear down. But maybe you don't realise it in time to delay the gear retraction, as that is something that is instinctive to do on every takeoff. Often, the first indication will be when ATC call you to tell you that you left a trail of shredded rubber on the runway and what is the address to bill your company for the clean-up. If you are not losing hydraulics and there's no other indication of damage, you now want the weight as low as possible for a full flap landing, so the decision to return or continue is one of airmanship, fuel available etc. On the other hand if you are getting ugly warnings on the flight deck, to hell with the landing weight. Better a buggered landing gear on the ground than a fire in the air.

posi+iveLanding
10th May 2008, 05:48
That was what exactly I experienced. After workload reduced slightly, we discussed the ‘bump” we felt during liftoff. Then asked ATC to check if they find anything on the runway. Apparently debris from tire.... (oops it's up and lock)
The landing was a little wobbly, nothing else special.
Our aircraft have no landing gear screen in the wheel well, but no damage to other system or component.

Icing
10th May 2008, 08:43
That is a very good point. How many take offs have been aborted in the past because of a tyre failure, although crew thought it was the engine. Sometimes it just takes time to do a proper diagnose.

fastidious bob
10th May 2008, 15:50
I would be inclined to agree with Mach E Avelli. Spot on!