PDA

View Full Version : Fairoaks Airport

FlyingPan
6th May 2008, 12:28
Can anyone share with me what is happening up at Fairoaks airport? It appears to be business as usual (certainly it is open as usual), but Jet A1 was Notamed unavailable and now Avgas is not available. Presumably linked to the Erinaceous issues, but some positive news would be welcome.

helicopter-redeye
6th May 2008, 13:32
or linked to fuel shortage from Grangemouth?

Bravo73
6th May 2008, 16:05
Does aircraft fuel come by pipeline?

bern444
6th May 2008, 16:12
We're based at Fairoaks, and if anyone knows what actually is happening they're aren't telling us. Maybe someone failed to pay a bill?

It means there's a lot of fiddling with jerry cans and tripping expensively to Blackbush, where the landing fee turns out to be £21 reduced to £11 if you buy fuel.

B

Ken Wells
6th May 2008, 17:15
Does aircraft fuel come by pipeline?

Shell gave a talk at White Waltham one Winter and told us they only had 2 AVGAS Road tankers to deliver all their Avgas in the UK!!!

And believe or not there is only 1 pipe line from Grangemouth.

Which is worrying considering we now breed the "Bin Laden Boy Scouts" in the UK.

007helicopter
6th May 2008, 20:36
Apologies for slight thead drift but flew past Fairoaks today and what is that posh building just to the south?

TheOddOne
6th May 2008, 20:58
what is that posh building just to the south?

Possibly the McLaren F1 team's HQ.

TheOddOne

bern444
6th May 2008, 21:05
If it looked like a yin-yang sign, definitely McLaren's. Check it out on Google Earth.

B

ShyTorque
6th May 2008, 22:20
But I thought it was Tracey Island. I'm sure I saw Thunderbird 2 take off from under that lake.

niknak
6th May 2008, 23:28
Back to the original question.

The only reason for withdrawal of fuel supplies atan airfield like Fairoaks can be bills not paid.
The farce at Grangemouth has nothing to do with it.

nouseforaname
7th May 2008, 10:01
Yeh sounds that way. I think erinacious have gone bust haven't they? Not surprised cos the £42m sale figure from last year seemed ridiculous.....something weird going on.

PompeyPaul
7th May 2008, 11:01
Fairoaks unofficial wx observation is no longer advising pilots that jet-a1 & avgas are unavailable (as they were yesterday).

Does that mean that avgas has returned to the field ?

Foxy Loxy
7th May 2008, 11:33
Apologies for slight thead drift but flew past Fairoaks today and what is that posh building just to the south?

That's Ottershaw Park Mansion. Split into some very plush apartments some time ago, I believe.

Foxy

Fright Level
7th May 2008, 14:22
Ottershaw Park Mansion

That's the big house just to right of 24 extended centreline (NE of field), the more visible building to the south as you enter the circuit is, as others mentioned, McLaren Automotive Woking (http://www.mclarenautomotive.com/company/woking.htm). Main entrance to there is off the A320 between M25 J11 and Woking.

http://www.mclarenautomotive.com/images/company/woking/MTC.jpg

plinkton
7th May 2008, 19:07
On the subject of Fairoaks, does anyone know if the Cirrus SR 22 with Onecharter has started operations from there?

Dannyboyblue
7th May 2008, 19:28
Mclaren Woking is now based about 50yrds from the boundry to the SE of the runway. To keep it simple its the flat one you cant really see when on the ground.

The Building to the east (the taller one) is ottershaw mansion, now lots of luxury £1.5 mil plus flats.

In regards to fuel supplies i still believe that JetA1 and AVGAS are not available. The reason being, higher management just wont buy anymore. Not the airport managers fault, far from it, Simple as that. Due in fact of course that errinacieouesesesee however you say it, have no money.:D

DBB

Foxy Loxy
7th May 2008, 19:31
Thank you - I stand corrected! :ok:

Foxy

FlyingPan
7th May 2008, 19:42
Thanks for the replies - hope they find some cash soon. Don't fancy a quick trip to Blackbush before every flight (no offence to Blackbush of course!).

Dannyboyblue
7th May 2008, 19:48
I totally agree, but remember guys when you call the tower they are all pilots as well who fly from the airfield so have the same frustrations. They got a bit of hassle recently regarding the fuel issues from other pilots, obviously not their fault but they will do their best to advise you as where to get your fuel.

May even convince some of us PPL's who spend our time going local to visit another airfield!!!!:}

DBB

md 600 driver
7th May 2008, 22:38
tried to go there today and was told no jet a1 blackbush had some

PompeyPaul
8th May 2008, 09:04
Suprised we can't all club together and get some avgas in. Seems like a license to print money. Buy a lorry load of it, give it to the airport, sell it via the airport, collect a cheque when it's gone.

ilfly
8th May 2008, 17:49
Fuel issue is a right pain. Have to land at Blackbushe before coming back to Fairoaks. Blackbushe get a lot of landing fees at the momment fro Fairoaks based planes!!. Someone on the field said there is fuel but it would be £2.00 per litre!!! Not sure if he was joking.

I had to take a Saratoga out the other day and it only had 18-20 US Gallons. First stop Balckbushe with not a lot to spare. Uplifted 91 US G and useable fuel in tanks 102. !!!

The fuel people didn't get paid. this is why they are refusing to supply. :ugh:

There is a lot of confusion over ownership of various parts of Fairoaks. SOmeone/company owns the runway - someone else the tower -someone else the buildings - it goes on. It's all a bit of a mysetry and the administrators will have a lot of work to do. I hears Alan Mann wants to buy it back but won't want to pay what they paid for it!! No surpise there. I wouldn't either.

A number of Cirrus operate from Fairoaks now. To answer someone's questions. Worth ringing the tower to find out if the company you're after is there.

Happy flying :ok:

thunderjet01
9th May 2008, 19:23
In answer to Plinkton, yes the Cirrus SR22 of One Charter(actually operating under One Air Taxi) is fully operational with a fresh new AOC and Operators certificate.
Seats are now available:ok:

Dannyboyblue
9th May 2008, 21:44
And the get out of jail free card in the roof:}

what a beast wish i could afford one