PDA

View Full Version : Lucky escape at Popham

Contacttower
5th May 2008, 18:19
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7382751.stm

Looking at the picture they were lucky to escape unhurt!

Ken Wells
5th May 2008, 18:56
Looks a mess, it's the Archer based there.

Please they survived, if I was them I by a lottery ticket this week!!!

Mike Cross
5th May 2008, 19:52
Two people have escaped unhurt after their plane crashed, losing both wings and splitting the fuselage in two at an airfield in Hampshire.

Here's a pic of the oddly unsplit fuselage. Someone must have superglued it together in very short order.
http://mrc0001.users.btopenworld.com/webimages/webImage009.jpg

We have tough hedges at Popham!

Dysonsphere
5th May 2008, 19:53
Theres pics in the other place but it didnt break in 2 just mislaid the wings in the hedge

oppps beat me by 60 secs mike

S-Works
5th May 2008, 20:34
Looks like it will fly again. If they can find the wings!!

DFC
5th May 2008, 21:47
Some snipits from the Popham website;

Flying is allowed by prior permission in the summer up until 20:00 Local (n.b. this is a planning deadline!), or Sunset if earlier.

Due to the amount of rainfall over the last few days, Popham Airfield is totally waterlogged

According to the BBC report the accident happened at "about 2110 BST"

Sunset was 2031 Local Time.

So we have an aircraft operating to a waterlogged airfield outside the planning authority permitted hours and attempting to land at night with no ground lights.

While the press timing may not be accurate and it might have been legally day time, I doubt that they were so far out as to be within the planning requirements.

It is things like that which give the NIMBYs so much amunition.

Regards,

DFC

Contacttower
5th May 2008, 22:00

Can anyone confirm this? Surely at that time it would be almost completely dark?

wigglyamp
5th May 2008, 22:09
According to G-INFO, the C of A expired on 1st May 2008. I hope they had got it renewed and it's just an out-of-date CAA website, or it's going to be a difficult insurance claim, possibly not only for landing after hours!

jonkil
6th May 2008, 07:53
So we have an aircraft operating to a waterlogged airfield outside the planning authority permitted hours and attempting to land at night with no ground lights.
We landed there at 18:00 local before routing south west and it was definitely not waterlogged, in fact we could not see any reason that the planned microlight event was cancelled.

JBGA
6th May 2008, 08:36
Towards the end of last week the local area was completely saturated all over. The forecast for the weekend was dry but cloudy on Saturday and rain on Sunday and Monday. I don't think they had any choice but to cancel the Microlight fly-in.

In the end the weather was dry, warm and sunny all weekend, apart from some cloud and light drizzle on Sunday evening. I was nearby to Popham on Saturday and the ground was not muddy and soft but perhaps slightly springy under foot. Certainly wasn't waterlogged.

Jetscream 32
6th May 2008, 11:25
Dick was not concerned with the airfield - it was the lower field - the car parking one that was going to cause all the problems.... remember glastonbury with dozens of tractors pulling cars out a few years back...... i was at the airfield on Thursday and there was standing water in the car park field - that is why the event was cancelled - nothing to do with the strip...!!!

why thank you..... :oh:

S-Works
6th May 2008, 12:06
Some snipits from the Popham website;

Quote:
Flying is allowed by prior permission in the summer up until 20:00 Local (n.b. this is a planning deadline!), or Sunset if earlier.
Quote:
Due to the amount of rainfall over the last few days, Popham Airfield is totally waterlogged

Sunset was 2031 Local Time.

While the press timing may not be accurate and it might have been legally day time, I doubt that they were so far out as to be within the planning requirements.

It is things like that which give the NIMBYs so much amunition.

Regards,
DFC

I feel some made up laws and lengthy ANO quoting coming on.......... ;)

eyeinthesky
8th May 2008, 10:33
Police were first alerted to the crash around 2100 local. That's less than 30 mins after sunset so it is not night. But it was well after 2000 local!

cjhants
9th May 2008, 06:16
mike Cross:We have tough hedges at Popham!

saw what was left of the post and rail fence at the 08 threshold when lining up last night, looks like this is what did the damage, and it stopped in the hedge between the in and out driveway.

i will have a better look down the runway when exiting the airfield in future, would have given anybody going home late a bit of a surprise!

SlipSlider
9th May 2008, 08:55
According to G-INFO, the C of A expired on 1st May 2008.

..... which was a whole 4 days before that comment was posted! The expiry dates on G-INFO are frequently well out of date. For example an active and currently permitted Aeronca is showing expiry date on G-INFO as June 2006

Slip

Monocock
9th May 2008, 13:18
Do you think that one of the contributary reasons for this aircraft's reluctance to get airborne again might be because of the model of an Auster that is attached the starboard side of the fin? Just a thought...

italianjon
8th Jul 2008, 11:46
Does anyone have anymore info on this one, what happened etc.... the interesting thing is nothing seems to have appeared on the AAIB website...