PDA

View Full Version : Wilga

sailor
4th May 2008, 19:00
Does anyone have experience of owning/operating this aircraft? Pros and cons?

Seems quite a fun and inexpensive machine at first sight, but there are usually snags when digging deeper.

Thanks to those who may know!

Piper.Classique
4th May 2008, 20:15
Done some flying in one, never had to pay the bills. Uses a lot of petrol, engine spares may be an issue if you get the one with the radial engine. Do your maintenance guys know about compressed air systems for the flaps, engine starting, and brakes? It goes up OK, but it is very slow. Like a cub only four times the fuel bill. It's a pretty easy ac to fly, but unless you want to tow gliders I would look for something cheaper to operate. But then I'm not rich, you might be;)

CottonEyeJoe
5th May 2008, 17:58
Wilga
Does anyone have experience of owning/operating this aircraft? Pros and cons?

Seems quite a fun and inexpensive machine at first sight, but there are usually snags when digging deeper.

WHICH ONE THEY MADE SEVRAL TYPES?

wilma80
5th May 2008, 21:08
Contrary to other comments air is only used for starting. Brakes are hydraulic and flaps are manual.
It is a great machine fantastically well built and what else is short field with pilot +3 pax?
Send me an PM if you want more specific info.

Piper.Classique
6th May 2008, 06:40
I expect you are right about the brakes. Not so sure about the flaps, but it has been a couple of years since I flew the Wilga, and my elderly brain cells fade at times

what else is short field with pilot +3 pax?
Answer = A Yak 12

chevvron
6th May 2008, 08:13
But can a Yak12 tow 3 gliders simultaneously?

OpenCirrus619
6th May 2008, 09:04

I would have thought so - same engine, similar performance, lower wing loading.

OC619

effortless
6th May 2008, 09:09
I flew the radial version twice from a soggy rough field. I couldn't believe how easily it got off the ground. One of the easiest bits of kit I have ever handled but as Piper.Classique says I didn't pay for it.

Piper.Classique
6th May 2008, 11:35
yes, it can

Fynn
28th Apr 2009, 14:14
Some notes and expierences:
WILGA ARTICLE (http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkwilgaarticle.html)
Main Page
Wilga Pilots - Thai Flying Club (http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkwilgapilots.html) scroll down for links

I can provide a link for a Flight Manual in German only.

RatherBeFlying
28th Apr 2009, 18:13
It's a lovely plane for glider towing and is great fun to fly.

But it's been a few decades since I've flown one and can't say about maintenance costs, except that it's solidly built and engineered.

Arclite01
29th Apr 2009, 16:25
I really like the Wilga - very chunky and heavy duty.

Was told though that the maintenance costs were horrendous and the big radial is a real oil eater (plus fuel) - spares are easy though apparently.

Mind you a big syndicate could easily share them around I suppose..............

If only there was one in Norfolk.................

Arc

Billredshoes
29th Apr 2009, 20:14
Quote:
what else is short field with pilot +3 pax?
Answer = AN2 2 Crew 12 Pax

+ tow 3 gliders !!!!!! and on a Std PPL A

Arclite01
30th Apr 2009, 10:48
Actually the Wilga looks beautifully ugly I think.................. if you know what I mean

Specifically the undercarriage links need to be regularly maintained I'm told.

One guy I knew who flew one said it fairly ripped off the ground and was down and stopped in 150 Yards.......................... like a Fieseler Storch apparently

Arc

Zishelix
8th Nov 2011, 08:51
Excuse me for "waking up" this old thread... Please if some of you gents able to help me with the Flight Manual (on English, preferably :)) for PZL-104 Wilga 35. Thanks in advance!

Stipe

Zishelix
9th Nov 2011, 05:48
Great! Thanks a lot, Silvaire1 :ok: