PDA

View Full Version : YAK 52 Life Extension.

planes49
2nd May 2008, 16:12
My 52 has just had the permit and life extension inspection successfully completed.BUT the CAA is not going to give any more variations to allow it to fly, unless the Yak Design Bureau approve the extension in writing.They don't support the aircraft anymore, and apparently don't reply to letters! So catch 22. If you have a Yak flying on a variation (valid 50hrs/ 3months), don't expect it to be extended.Soon, all 20 year old Yaks will be grounded in the UK.
BUT not apparently in other EU countries. It is the CAA who are refusing to accept the life extension inspection, even though it is carried out to Yakovlev requirements, and should be OK under EASA rules.
I was trying to speak to the certification man in Gatwick at 3pm today, but he had gone home!!!!!:ugh:

'Chuffer' Dandridge
3rd May 2008, 19:34
3pm on a Friday, you expect a reply...........?

Call 1st thing on Tuesday, and get somebody who will answer your query. It's always better to write, but chase up any letter if no reply after 10 days. The CAA has a Customer charter, so if you do not get a satisfactory service, write to the CAA Chairman, tell him so and see how quickly your letter will be answered......:ok:

Human Factor
3rd May 2008, 23:51
I've been reliably informed that it's in hand with the design authority being transferred to somewhere a bit closer to home. How long it will take for the CAA to remove their collective fingers remains to be seen.

planes49
14th May 2008, 21:37
I have spoken to the head of CAA certification today, and there should in the not too distant future be an authorised Yak Authority in the UK. This takes the YDB out of the equation and is excellent news for the Yak 52 community.All future issues can be dealt with here.Perhaps the value of our aircraft will go up!! :)

Human Factor
15th May 2008, 10:55
The only possible bad news is that +7/-5 may become +5/-3. Not a big deal for me as I doze off at +5.5 and unlike eharding, I can't stand negative.:yuk: