PDA

View Full Version : Life insurance for aeros

genrege
2nd May 2008, 12:18
I occasionally fly aerobatics in gliders (have flown in the nationals at Saltby in the past). Have also flown very occasional dual aeros in a T67. Now, I'm buying a house, and it seems the insurers want to add £25 to my monthly insurance (from £20pm to £45pm) for the aeros bit. Doesn't matter that I probably do less than 2 or 3 h aeros per year.

Is this normal? Didn't think aero risks were especially high, compared to say smoking etc

englishal
2nd May 2008, 17:30
Aero's is no extra risk over and above private flying. The aeroplane is certified for it, nothing is being done outside the aeroplane's flight envelope, and as a pilot you are licenced to do Aero's....so I don't see how they can load the premium myself....

Ken Wells
2nd May 2008, 19:25
NatWest loaded my premium from original quote of £56 to £185 after a question "do you fly ex military aircraft?" I asked them to qualify what they mean by ex military as that could apply to any aircraft from Chipmunks to Piper Cub, Tiger Moth, Cessna RG, Yak's, some light twins etc etc etc.:}

They could not qualify as they did not know; but the question stood. I asked then about the NANGCHANGCJ6 I had a share in at the time.
As they had never heard of it they could'nt answer:confused: and the quote of £185 a month stood. Take it or leave it was their reply.

I left it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Shop arround and don't take the first quote from some spotty face kid straight out of UNI with nothing more than a Media Studies Degree in Eastenders.:ok:

Lasiorhinus
3rd May 2008, 07:03
I dont understand why an insurance company will insist on a higher premium for aircraft pilots, but not car drivers:ugh:

CottonEyeJoe
3rd May 2008, 09:33
Ali Baba had 40 insurance salesmen working for him!

nuff said!

stickandrudderman
3rd May 2008, 10:58
Why mention it?
As has already been mentioned, you are doing nothing illegal and so as long as you've told them you fly an aeroplane for a hobby, what business is it of their's how you fly it as long as it's legal?
I can't imagine them successfully refusing a claim (God forbid it gets that far!) when you were participating in a declared activity.
Do you declare to your motor insurer's that you perform hand brake turns, J turns and burn outs occasionally?;)

airborne_artist
3rd May 2008, 11:22
I dont understand why an insurance company will insist on a higher premium for aircraft pilots, but not car drivers

Because it's an additional risk. The underwriters have already assumed you drive a car, but if you told them you also drove in amateur car races, they'd load the premium for the same reason.

CottonEyeJoe
3rd May 2008, 11:28
Why mention it?

because it is a mantatory question, along with other hazadous activities and do you have any STD!!!

How old are you?

Lasiorhinus
3rd May 2008, 15:24
But its not a hazardous activity.

Far less hazardous than driving a car, or licking the floor in a nightclub.

Bath
3rd May 2008, 16:26
Or living in Africa, but that's not the point.

They specifically ask ............do you fly? do you do aerobatics etc etc

Now you could lie, or as Hilary says "misspeak" but if your nearest comes to claim after your death, the bastards will not pay out.

Your choice

Jodelman
3rd May 2008, 19:53
Why mention it?

Material fact.

A material fact is one which would affect the judgment of a prudent underwriter in either acceptance of a risk or the premium at which it would be accepted.

All material facts must be disclosed.

Ken Wells
3rd May 2008, 20:58
Trouble is underwriters tend to be drawn from teenage under achievers hence their totaly useless job assesing things they nothing about.

Angry you bet!

Jodelman
3rd May 2008, 21:41
Not my experience, Ken.

stickandrudderman
3rd May 2008, 23:05
Are you saying then that if I go flying in the Chipmunk and I decide to do some aeros, which I do very occasionaly, that if it goes horribly wrong then the insurance co won't pay?
I don't think so.

eharding
3rd May 2008, 23:10
Depends on which hull we're talking about - yours or the Chippy's.

stickandrudderman
3rd May 2008, 23:15
As in the context: mine.

Redbird72
4th May 2008, 10:41
Trouble is underwriters tend to be drawn from teenage under achievers hence their totaly useless job assesing things they nothing about.

I think your main issue here is trying to get an aviation risk covered by a high street insurer (i.e. Natwest). These guys are in business covering the bulk populace, and use rating matrices designed with them in mind. Mention flying, scuba or parachuting and the sirens sound and "computer says no" (or charge him so much he goes away).

You may not get a cheaper quote going to an Aviation broker, but at least you'll get someone used to "non-standard" risk who knows the difference between a C152 and a spitfire.

(ps. I am not an aviation insurance broker, so no vested interest!)

HPPILOT
4th May 2008, 21:01
Well said Redbird, Bank Assurers are only interested in stiffing the masses, they are not interested in offering proper affordable cover to anyone who may appear slightly out of the ordinary.

Most Life underwriting is done on a computer based points system with little or no imput from Humans unless the adviser shouts loud enough, of course if the adviser is employed by the Insurer not the client, then he or she is not going to shout, they will quickly move on to the next punter.

Can I suggest that if you want Life Insurance then go to professionals (IFAs) who have to act on the clients behalf not the Insurer. They will have a good idea already who wiill cover whom and under what conditions.

vintagewizard
6th May 2008, 16:34
Go To Emery Little, They Are Very Helpful And Understand That Flying Shouldn't Skew The Premium

Ken Wells
6th May 2008, 17:04
I'll try them; good points from all!!!

genrege
6th May 2008, 21:54
Thanks all, I got back to them and said I'd stop flying aeros and that if I change my mind in the future will tell them and/or cover it separately. It seems that it's enough that I've simply thought about doing it and was foolish enough to tell them means I pay the higher premium. World's going mad! I thought aeros made you a safer pilot, not a risky one!!! Arrgghhh :ugh: