PDA

View Full Version : Decent places for Sunday brekkie or brunch?

Finals19
1st May 2008, 21:24
Hello all..

Just a quick question regarding info that goes a bit beyond your Pooleys airfield plates - for all you Sunday morning flyers - decent airfields within 120nm of London (Fairoaks) that have a bit of charm and atmosphere but most importantly are open for brekkie or brunch?

First thoughts are Sandown IOW, out to the SW I was wondering about Dunkeswell or Compton Abbas? To the NW? Wellesbourne? Shobdon? And NE?

All suggestions greatly appreciated! :ok:

Daysleeper
1st May 2008, 21:31
Foods good at Dunkeswell, service is a little slow at times.

Stumpyotoole
1st May 2008, 21:34
North Weald do a great breakfast,its huge! and they have the massive boot sale there (sundays?)

TheOddOne
1st May 2008, 21:57
Don't know what the current state of the restaurant is at Sandown, it was razed to the ground by arsonists a while ago. Bembridge on the IOW has more modest restaurant but do take the walk into the village and go to the Crab & Lobster, a great 'destination' Sunday lunch pub and restaurant. Highly recommended.

Of course you could always come round the zone to Denham and go to Biggles, very nice but rather pricy restaurant, just by the Control Tower. Both the aerodrome and restaurant are strictly PPR.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Vick Van Guard
1st May 2008, 22:13
Well if it is this Sunday you want somewhere to go might I suggest Little Snoring in North Norfolk.

Its normally pretty quite there except for the odd one or two fly in days per year (this Sunday being one of them).

The food is normally very good, you will get a friendly welcome and it is a nice part of the world to fly in.:ok:

http://www.mcaullyflyinggroup.org/index.htm

Finals19
1st May 2008, 22:16
Both the aerodrome and restaurant are strictly PPR.

What? The restaurant as well?! :) Mind you, there are certain folk in an operational capacity at Denham who would no doubt like to make the restaurant PPR...*lol*

:D

DX Wombat
1st May 2008, 22:47
Shobdon (yes, I know I'm biased) they welcome visitors, have plenty of parking space (for cars as well as aircraft) and they do a good Sunday roast for £6.50 - a generous helping of whichever meat you choose (usually a choice between beef and something else), roast potatoes, several veggies in a separate dish and gravy. The portions are far from stingy. The airfield is pretty with plenty of room to sit outside and eat in good weather and a bar for those not flying. It is very popular with the locals who come from miles around (I've met people from Hereford, Llandrindod Wells etc). Production of the bacon butties stops for a couple of hours whilst the lunch is being cooked but tea and coffee etc are always available as is a good selection of cakes and traybakes. Allow a couple of hours post lunch for recovery. :D

Windy Militant
1st May 2008, 23:13
Haven't been there lately, but Old Sarum had a decent cafe. I whiled away many an hour there watching the rain year afore last.

Mad Girl
2nd May 2008, 06:06
Haven't been there lately, but Old Sarum had a decent cafe. I whiled away many an hour there watching the rain year afore last.

And you never said hello..... :sad:

I spend most of the weekend there and have virtually given up cooking.... They have different sizes of breakfast, and do a roast every day and TWO on Sundays plus lots of specials daily... Also got sandwiches, baguettes and LOTS of cakes and puddings....

And no I DON'T work there.... Just regard the place as an extension of my living room at the weekend.. :D

egbgstudent
2nd May 2008, 07:47
You really should try Leicester (EGBG) before the government shut it down to build a so called ECO TOWN!!!

Airfield out of controlled airspace
Multiple runways, so no fear of crosswind
Interesting machines in the hangars (including an array of Pitts varients)
Free landing if you upload over 50l of fuel
Oh, and the food is pretty darned good as well.

Jodelman
2nd May 2008, 07:51
Don't know what the current state of the restaurant is at Sandown,

Last week the restaurant was still in it's fire damaged state but we were told that work would start in the next couple of weeks to demolish the remains and start on a new building.

In the meantime, the people who ran the restaurant have re-opened the old portacabins and are serving food from there.

Cessna-172-Pilot
2nd May 2008, 08:24
Compton Abbas is a lovely airfield, been there a few times - good food and large area to eat it whilst watching the busy grass runway. It is quite busy at certain times of the day. Well worth a visit.
C172

youngskywalker
2nd May 2008, 08:35
You cant beat the great cooked Breakfast at Peterborough Connington! :ok:

I miss our regular twice weekly visits :(

Cheers Gavin and the staff

from

41AK

CessnaCJM
2nd May 2008, 10:32
The Breakfast at Sywell has to rate amongst the very best available

TheOddOne
2nd May 2008, 10:34
Both the aerodrome and restaurant are strictly PPR.

What? The restaurant as well?!

Biggles at Denham is pretty popular at weekends so it's only sensible to ring ahead to avoid disappointment, that's all!

With regrd to PPR, I think it's only polite to call ahead and ask if you can land somewhere. We make it a rule to do so in our Group, ever since one of our members turned up unannounced at another airfield in the middle of a microlight rally and wound up confused and in the hedge at the end of the runway.

TOO

Oldpilot55
2nd May 2008, 11:06
The Dabbling Duck (book ahead, they have a website, boom, boom) at Gt Messingham (very PPR)

Windy Militant
2nd May 2008, 12:30
Quote:
And you never said hello..... :sad:

I spend most of the weekend there and have virtually given up cooking.... They have different sizes of breakfast, and do a roast every day and TWO on Sundays plus lots of specials daily... Also got sandwiches, baguettes and LOTS of cakes and puddings....

If you're the same Mad Girl who went to her first fly in last weekend then We've said hello. As I mentioned it's been a while since I've been dahn sarf. ;)

Mad Girl
2nd May 2008, 12:38
If you're the same Mad Girl who went to her first fly in last weekend then We've said hello. As I mentioned it's been a while since I've been dahn sarf. ;)

Oooooh - Which one were you :confused:...

Sorry if I was still a bit hyper as I'd only passed my test a few days before :O

Squeegee Longtail
2nd May 2008, 12:39
My mum does a great Sunday breakfast and she's only 5 mins from Goodwood. Strictly PPR though (my mum, not Goodwood).

Windy Militant
2nd May 2008, 12:52
Hello M G,
I was the hairy idiot in the Hi Viz making desultory attempts to get people to park prettily! A bit hyper eh, I thought all the waving was to help get off the ground quicker. ;)

Mad Girl
2nd May 2008, 16:14
I was the hairy idiot in the Hi Viz making desultory attempts to get people to park prettily! Got yer! ;)

I don't think the Super Decathlon needed any assistance to get off the ground :p... and we wizzed past all our mates in the race to get back to OS but still ended up being last to arrive as we got "distracted" by the great viz which just had to be looped and rolled in :D

Windy Militant
2nd May 2008, 17:03
Didn't get to go Looping and rolling but had a brief jolly in a Druine Turbi, before we had to go and roll the tent up! ;)

effortless
2nd May 2008, 18:56
Whats the scran like at Bembridge? Used to be ok. Still, if you want a nice lunch, I think LeTouquet is just about in the radius.:ok: