PDA

View Full Version : Average Pilot AUW?

pistongone
30th Apr 2008, 14:05
OK, due to many other threads needing info of this nature. I thought it would be a good bit of market research to find the max, min and median weight of PPRuNe pilots:confused:
So as honestly as one can remember, would you like to state your all up weight ready to fly? I suppose this must include headsets, knee boards bags etc?

To start off i am 6'1" and 114kg ready to fly:ok:

S-Works
30th Apr 2008, 14:25
Jesus Christ, 114kg! What are you a bear?

I am 6ft and weigh 85kg ready to fly.

A perfect physique maintained by the careful application of beer and curry.
:p

Spruit
30th Apr 2008, 14:28
Personally,

I'm 6' 2" and all up flying weight would be 74Kg's!

Cheers,

Spru!

Mark 1
30th Apr 2008, 15:03
Pistongone,

Your numbers put you at about 95th percentile level in the adult male population.

I'm involved with crash testing where the 50th percentile adult male dummy was originally set in the 60s/70s as 69" tall and 170lb. More recently this has been revised upwards to 80kg (176 lb).

If you want to see wher you fit amongst some more recent anthropometric data, there's some for men, women and children at http://mreed.umtri.umich.edu/mreed/downloads/anthro/NHANESIII/Tables/

I squeeze in on the lean side of average at 70kg and 178cm unkitted.

pbrookes
30th Apr 2008, 15:03
5'11" 110 Kgs - body insulation comes as standard;)

nadders
30th Apr 2008, 15:14
5'10'' and 84kgs ready to go, although a recent bout of Gastro enteritis has put a considerable dent in that, and I currently weigh in at 79kgs! An excellent illness if you're on the limits of your a/c's MAUW :yuk: :}

airborne_artist
30th Apr 2008, 15:47
6'0" and 79 Kg dressed for flying. Perhaps a bit more combat-ready :}

pistongone
30th Apr 2008, 15:57
It would appear i have a very economical metabolism then:confused: As in i use much less of the fuel i put in than the average bear!(which i must confess to sharing Bose's choice of menu:ok:)
So we have a max pax of 114kg
A min pax of 70kg
A median pax of 87.34kg
Interestingly thats an average of 1.25kg/inch!!
The lowest being MArk1@ 0.99kg/inch
The highest being [email protected]/inch
So the kg/inch average is as near as darn it smack in the middle!
We need some more responses to make this a valid study, so come on lads/ladys dont be shy.
The allowance per pax on an airline is 77kg i think, i will confere with my friend who fly's with Excell at the mo, but i seem to recall this figure!
Also interesting stuff Mark1, but do you think these tables are skewed with the BMI index? My wife, who is in fashion said most people wouldnt satisfy these parameters. EG someone like Joe Callzaghi would be classed as obese:confused: I wouldnt want to be the one imparting that info to him:} The norm is much more likely to be in the size 12, for ladies, than the size 8 that would be BMI prefered.
Keep em coming please.

Missed you airborn, will redo numbers soon

TheOddOne
30th Apr 2008, 17:17
6'2" 215 lbs. (97kg)

Was 203lb (93kg) last year, got to do some work before my next medical!

TheOddOne

flyingfemme
30th Apr 2008, 17:21
I weigh in a shade under 70kg sans handbag - BMI comfortably in the "normal" range..........taller than average, I suppose, but I'm no supermodel.

To my mind the BMI index works well for women but is unfair towards a lot of muscular men. My Beloved is close to the height/weight of Frank Bruno when he was fighting....but apparently he is "obese" :ugh:

Pilots, as a group, are likely to be slightly heavier than "average" being skewed towards the middle-aged, higher income, desk jockey type. Or do I do them an injustice?

Chilli Monster
30th Apr 2008, 17:26
I weigh in a shade under 70kg sans handbag

And with the handbag? (Dons Helmet and Flak Jacket rapidly ;) )

radicalrabit
30th Apr 2008, 18:47
6 ft 2 204LB (UN ARMED) and before dinner..so what does the average nav bag headset maps etc weigh in at?

Big Pistons Forever
30th Apr 2008, 19:18
Male 183 cm 78 Kg. Of note Transport Canada revised the standard weights for air transport operations. A standard male (winter) went from 184 lbs to 200 lbs (90.9kg). My experience is that even 200 lbs is not an accurate average weight if I am flying Americans.:hmm:

coodem
30th Apr 2008, 19:21
187cm between 84-88kg, depending what I have been up to in the week prior

flybymike
30th Apr 2008, 23:53
IO540 states on another thread that his girlfriend weighs 45kg. I would like to know where I can pick up some of this Totty from.....

Applecore
1st May 2008, 07:26
79kg 5,7 male

TractorBoy
1st May 2008, 08:11
6ft 2in - 208lbs. Feel a bit snug in a 152.

wsmempson
1st May 2008, 08:21
6ft and 90kilos. Flight bag with headsets, maps, gps etc adds another 6 kilos.

Johnm
1st May 2008, 08:36
5ft 6" and 160Lbs all up what's a kilo?

IO540
1st May 2008, 08:52
This thread is a covert attempt to find who here is female and worth meeting up with ;)

Anyway: 5ft9 and 76kg.

IO540 states on another thread that his girlfriend weighs 45kg. I would like to know where I can pick up some of this Totty from.....

You have to go for foreign women ;) Mine doesn't actually come from Eastern Europe but that would be a very good start.

Pilots, as a group, are likely to be slightly heavier than "average" being skewed towards the middle-aged, higher income, desk jockey type. Or do I do them an injustice?

I think that is self evident from just hanging around any airfield. But 'average' is a fast moving target these days...

stocker
1st May 2008, 09:00
6`4 and 118kgs suited and booted and like femmes "Bruno" I am unfarely obese. BMI is rubbish, Ive less than 16% body fat so wouldn`t use that rule anywhere serious.

Flybymike.... isn`t Kylie about 45kgs?

FlightDetent
1st May 2008, 09:24
What a surprise to introduce a new measure :} 179,5 cm (how_ _ ever bitter, never made the mark) 80 kilos. Sans uniform, bag, ideals. And the shades; oh, almost forgot the shades!:sad:

pistongone
1st May 2008, 09:54
Thanks for the reply's ladies and gents.
We have 18 useable samples! Flying Femme has, unusally for a woman, stated her weight but not her height! So we cant use that data.
The figures look like this now:-
Top wight is Stocker at 118kg, but he is 6'4" and probably not the man you want to start a fight with:} Totally agree with you on the BMI Stocker!
Lightest man is Mark1@71kg, but interestingly you are not the lightest per [email protected]/inch. That honour goes to Johnm@ 0.98kg/inch. A kilo John is 2.2 pounds, its the European way of doing it! Some like it, some dont! People have gone to jail in Britain for selling bananas in pounds when the government insist on kilo's, Honest:eek:

This gives us an average of 87.22kg/Pax. The airlines use 77kg/Pax for flight planning, the baggage and fuel they have an accurate weight to enter into the flight computer! Could this mean a 400 pax 747 is potentially 4088kg over weight? I just checked Mark1's post and his 1960's dummy was 77 kg too! But they have revised this upto 80kg. Have the airlines done the same?
As four GA, i think it would be reasonable to apply these new figures when calculating passenger loadings. A true four seater with say 6hrs endurance, inc reserves would need a payload of 682kg/1500lbs, which aircraft fits that role then?(PA32 i think!) Children or East European, or other types of bride would seem to be eseential if us pilots want to stay in weight and ballance!:ok:
Now where did that funny grubby chart thing go with all the data on it? And whats a moment arm?:}

IO540
1st May 2008, 11:01
The problem with that, pistongone, is that in a 747 you get a reasonable average over a few hundred people. And a 747 can carry a few more tons; I doubt anybody would notice an extra 1-2% on the weight.

Whereas in a 2- or 4-seat spamcan you are averaging over far fewer people, and if you get 2 140kg fatties and 2 normal persons then you could be dramatically over MTOW.

pistongone
1st May 2008, 11:23
I was looking at this with some light heartedness, however, now you mention it, a 747 is 400tonnes MAUW, so a 4000kg discrepancy is 10% of your total. How many flights are at MAUW in a 747? Because at lower weights it would be more than 10% inacurate! I seem to recall that a rule of thumb is "it cost a 1/3rd of a tonne to carry a tonne of extra fuel"? I will have to ask my airline friend for conformation. So that 4 tonne could be a bit more significant than i thought:confused: Did you know that Ryanair have a league table of pilots fuel usage? Well the pilot at the bottom of the league costs the airline his wages in wasted fuel! I should imagine other airlines have similar league table? Perhaps some of our commercial contributer could clarify please?
Sorry for the thread creep.:)

airborne_artist
1st May 2008, 11:35
When will we see the day that pax on commercial flights are charged extra for being over 77 kg at check-in? If fuel prices continue their trend it'd make sense.

stocker
1st May 2008, 11:46
Airborne....

looks like you will have to leave your headset at home to save you the surcharge....some of us will have to resort to more extreme measures.

pbrookes
1st May 2008, 11:56
Thanks Airbourne!!:{

If this bright idea gets adopted by the airlines through reading this thread, " ... I will hunt you down and gut you like a fish!" to quote the Grinch!:O

pistongone
1st May 2008, 12:01
More to the point, i hope M O'Leary doesnt read this:eek:

airborne_artist
1st May 2008, 12:10
I'll just have to check in in my Y-fronts :}

IO540
1st May 2008, 12:25
I was looking at this with some light heartedness, however, now you mention it, a 747 is 400tonnes MAUW, so a 4000kg discrepancy is 10% of your total

Only 1%.

However, a couple of fatties in a spamcan could put it say 10% over MTOW, or more to the point 10% over the weight you thought it was, which is at least 20% extra runway length required.

stocker
1st May 2008, 12:46
IO540.......However, a couple of fatties in a spamcan....

What a wonderful euphemism...

Even at my weight I was rarely asked by my instructors to do a weight and balance check,even when one of them was a wee "fattie".
I always did one however, even if it was at the irritation of an enthusiastic FI wanting to get going as soon as possible in order to return for his morning bacon rolls.

And as pointed out by IO, the smaller the craft the less you have to play with.....

pistongone
1st May 2008, 12:57
IO540, you are quite right! Got me kilos and tonnes mixed up didnt i:confused:
It is 1% and i am sure that will have been allowed for in the w+b calcs! Its these long periods of leave you know, they arent good for my health. Still back to the land of zero band width in two weeks:*

dublinpilot
1st May 2008, 13:26

Having met his wife, I would suggest the local super-model agency ;)

While we are all talking about pilot weight here, it doesn't necessarily mean that the average persons weight is in anyway correlated to the average pilots weight ;) As a group I suspect pilots probably have a higher income than the general population, are probably in more senior positions, and may very well have a different weight profile. While I do regularly fly with other pilots, I often fly with non pilots too ;)

dp

stocker
1st May 2008, 13:46
Dublin...

are you suggesting that size is an attribute of seniority...

I dont think income has much to do with size... ok, if you earn more you might like to eat out more, drink a bit more wine than normal etc but what about low income folks who can only afford to eat crap.. I am of course referring to many FI`s struggling up the ladder(just to keep this on an aviation track)

IO540
1st May 2008, 14:12
Dublinpilot, you are TOO kind - but I will pass on your comment anyway ;)

Stocker -

what about low income folks who can only afford to eat crap

Do you really believe that low income people have to eat crap? There is indeed a correlation between income and quality of food eaten (and general health, and many other things...) but IMHO it is not caused by lack of money but by lack of education. ATPL candidates may be on below average income but anybody passing the 14 ATP exams cannot be so stupid they cannot work out what food is good or bad for them. Decent food is not any more expensive than crap food - unless one goes for organic which is expensive but its health benefits are highly debatable.

TheGorrilla
1st May 2008, 16:59
It depends if I'm flying before or after lunch.

englishal
1st May 2008, 18:29
100Kg - of pure muscle :}, 185cm....oh ok, there is a teeny bit of a beer belly too :O. I put on 10Kg when I quit smoking 15 months ago and it has only just started to go down...Still, best thing I ever did......

ChampChump
1st May 2008, 20:44
Purely to add to the female stats, I'm 5'6½" (that's an important half) and
usually about 124lb. That's all A1 according to BMI stuff which seems to mean very little.

The accoutrements? More in winter, less in summer.

stocker
2nd May 2008, 12:45
IO540.....

No I dont actually believe that, just wondered what reaction it would provoke.

Up here in Scotland we have a severe problem with diet assosciated illness and are probably the most unhealthy bunch in Europe and I am well aware of several studies on "class and diet" and you are right, education is a huge factor.

I wonder how many students apply the theories of so called brain foods to enhance their learning and memory capabilities.

Bath
3rd May 2008, 16:53
what's a kilo?

About 500G's on the street of New York

gulfairs
3rd May 2008, 22:05
I agree the BMI index is nothing other than unadulterated BS.
The All Blacks ( the ones that were eliminated from the world cup by FRA)
were tested recently and the whole team according to the BMI scale were morbidly obese!
I have also been in that category for the past 55 years and still so.
If I had listened to the Medical section of CAANZ I should have died about 40 years ago!
I am still here and still P#&&#+G them off, because I drink too much; eat animal fat, drink cream tea, and do enough act;ive work to keep my heart rate down
< 50/60
If yo is happy, yo will live long.

gulfairs
3rd May 2008, 22:14
I had traffic do on a couple of occasions a weigh in, on a wide body aircraft, (Much to their disgust Both the pax and TFC) and on average I picked up a little over a tonne per 100 pax.
Its handy when you are pushing fuel on long haul flights.
The 747 flies like an Auster but is an efficient money making tool.

Tiger_mate
4th May 2008, 07:39
Military (RAF) planning weights are:

100kgs or 200lbs per person regardless of sex or physical dimensions. Common sense prevails when taking Air Cadets on AEF who probably weigh half that, and this applies to aircraft that are weight critical.

scooter boy
4th May 2008, 10:40
I'm 90kg and 185cm.
I used to be significantly porkier but decided that an exercise regime was mandatory if I was going to live to retirement age.
When I did my PPL(H) in an R22 6 years ago my instructor and I must have weighed 200kg together - we were right on the weight margin when 2 up.

About the BMI - yes there are rare exceptions when one applies it to professional athletes like the All Blacks who have a huge muscle mass, generally though it is pretty accurate at determining who ate all the pies.

More time in the gym, less time sitting at the computer arguing on PPRuNe - your parasite drag will decrease.
SB