PDA

View Full Version : Plane Share for JAA PPL(A) and Hour Building

Chilli001
30th Apr 2008, 12:37
Hi,

Having had several lessons abroad i'm now eager to get my PP(A) this summer.

Ideally I'd like to do this in the UK as that's where i'll be doing most of my fling initially so am looking at the options.

One option would be to take a part share in a plane of which there are several offered at the moment. For example:

£2000 - 1/6 Share in a C150
£70 per month payment
£35 per hour wet.

Then for the PPL paying an istructor £50 per hour.

45hours x (50 instructor fees + 35 per hour) = £3825.

Plus Ground School Exams + Books = £350

Plus Skills Exam and other expenses = £500

Doing this for 6 months over the summer comes to approx £6500 which is the current price of most UK based PPLs.

Has anyone else done this and apart from the risk of the plane going U\S can anyone comment on this approach?

Many Thanks
C.

portsharbourflyer
30th Apr 2008, 13:06
Just check the syndicates insurance policy with respect to training; there may be an excess to pay. Also there are some syndicates that will not permit ab-initio training mainly due to insurance reasons.

However the two flying schools I worked at as an instructor were only charging 35 pounds an hour for instructing someone in their own aircraft.

Chilli001
30th Apr 2008, 13:22
Hi Ports,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Saying that the syndicates insurance covers the training....

Would I have to enlist a flying school for the training or is it possible to get a freelance instructor?

The reason I ask is that the plane would potentially be located at an airfield without a current PPL(A) flying school. Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks
C.

Keygrip
30th Apr 2008, 13:45
Chilli - the training for a licence currently has to be conducted at a licensed aerodrome. Your airfield OK with that?

Is the aircraft maintained under the relevant scheme?

Does that insurance cover a freelance instructor? (would he need a check out? who pays?)

Do you envisage no problems getting access to the aircraft when *you* need it, as well as good weather at the same time as the availability of that freelance instructor?

The exams should only be available through a flight school - not an individual.

Are you not proposing to pay the instructor for ground school, long briefings, "observation" time - you cannot do a one hour flight in one hour. You can, of course, fly the "trip" - but there's more to a flight than engine start to engine stop, as you well know.

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm - there's just a few more factors you need to take into account. Good luck with it all.

Lost in Cloud
30th Apr 2008, 14:31
I have just bought a share in a Cessna 172. Cost me £2000 for 1/12th share, very good availability. Hangerage, maintenance and insurance is £50p/m standing order and then it is £56p/h wet. If I decide to sell it down the line I would hope to get somewhere around £2000 back for it.

So taking out the initial outlay as I will get most of my money back when I sell. If I only fly one hour a month (total cost £50 + £56ph = £106) then that would be the same as renting from my local flying club which would cost £111p/h wet for a C172. If I fly more than one hour the costs reduce and basically the more I fly the lower the hourly rate. calculations below:

Standing order = £50
4 hours @ £56p/h = £224
Total = £274 for 4 hours

Average per hour = £68.50

Not a bad saving! Throw on top of that any friends/ family that want to 'see their house from the air' they can contribute towards the costs of fuel etc thus reducing your costs even further.

p.s. I have not included landing fees here as I pay them whether I fly my own plane or a flying club plane.

Chilli001
30th Apr 2008, 15:08
Hi Ports,

If the insurance did cover PPL training, would you know how to find a freelance instructor or would we have to go through a flying school.

Cheers
C.

Chilli001
30th Apr 2008, 15:13
Hi Lost,

I hope the share in the plane works out for you, it sounds like it will work out more economical in the long run if you regularly use the aircraft.

Do you have anyone in your syndicate using the aircraft for PPL training?

I'm based in Hampshire and have seen several share schemes advertised locally which ideally i'd like to join to complete my PPL.

Cheers
C.

Irish_Stu
30th Apr 2008, 15:56
Isn't there a rule that says all flight training must be carried out at an approved flight training establishment or something like that? I'm certain this has been discussed recently on here.

Great idea for hour building though.

Stu

portsharbourflyer
30th Apr 2008, 16:23
Correct Irish_Stu,

It is possible for someone to be trained in their aircraft at a RF or an FTO. So that isn't too much of an issue. There are plenty of aircraft owners whom have been trained in their own aircraft. As I mentioned before training in a syndicate aircraft you will probabaly find insurance will be a problem. Alot of syndicates will require a 100 hours total time; alot will accept a fresh ppl but may then require an excess to be paid on the insurance; now you start discussing training in a syndicate aircraft then you can start seeing some complex insurance paperwork issues. Also are other members of the syndicate going to be happy about the aircraft being used for training.

Before EASA took over certification you also had the issue of private and public transport certificates of airworthiness; that is most private or syndicate aircraft were on a private C of A and for training you would require a public transport C of A. I am sure with EASA there was some rule change relating to the C of As but I can't rememebr the exact details.