PDA

View Full Version : after bi-annual check, form to go to CAA?

Vulcan607
29th Apr 2008, 22:28
Hi there,

just had my bi-annual check, I believe there is a form from the CAA website that you must submit to them to let them know you have completed this?

if this is so, could someone who has completed one recently send me a link so I can find it on their website?

Regards

flybymike
29th Apr 2008, 23:54
The form in question needs to be signed by an examiner, who in my experience would normally also supply the form, sign it ( with your counter signature) and then send it off for you.

k12479
30th Apr 2008, 00:07
I don't think a form is sent to the CAA anymore for the 2-yearly renewal/revalidation, thats what I was told a month or two ago.

mcgoo
30th Apr 2008, 01:16
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1119.pdf

Keygrip
30th Apr 2008, 02:46
k12479 - then you were told wrong.

S-Works
30th Apr 2008, 07:20
Not only does the form got to the CAA it is also signed by both the applicant and the examiner.

I provide the form when I do revalidation's, have the candidate sign it when done and then batch send to the CAA once a month.

There is no form sent for an NPPL revalidation.

homeguard
30th Apr 2008, 07:28
There is no such thing as a Bi-annual check.

The flight required is simply a 'training flight' with an instructor, it is not a 'check'! There is no pass or fail. The SRG119 form has nothing to do with this flight.

The SRG1119 form is to record with the CAA that you have actually revalidated/renewed your class rating. The form includes a 'Certificate of Test' or 'Revalidation/Renewal' which is completed and signed by an examiner.

The flight can be undertaken any time during the 12 months prior to the revalidation date. The instructor should make an entry into your log book to the effect that the flight has been completed in accordance with the rules and they should sign it along with their licence number. Your licence can be signed and the form completed and submitted to the CAA anytime within 3 months of the expiry date if all the requirements have been met.

S-Works
30th Apr 2008, 07:33
Wow Homeguard, pedantry to a fualt!!! ;)

It is generally accepted that those doing the two year flight with an Instructor also do the SRG1119 paperwork at the same time. Everyone of the many many hundreds of these that I have done for people has done the Instructor hour and the examiner revalidation in one go with me.

You are however quite right that they are separate actions. Just as there is no 'check flight' just one hour with an Instructor. In fact its a kind of biannual flight review rather than a test or check............

BackPacker
30th Apr 2008, 07:48
It is generally accepted that those doing the two year flight with an Instructor also do the SRG1119 paperwork at the same time.

The flight needs to be with an instructor, but if this instructor does not happen to be an examiner at the same time, they become distinct actions. In fact, I had to drive to the airfield (which is 45 minutes one way for me) just to get the examiners signature and a copy of his license.

(I needed to include a copy of his license with the form because my JAA PPL is administered in the UK, while his license was issued in the Netherlands.)

S-Works
30th Apr 2008, 08:04
Blimey we are going to argue semantics. The word generally was used for a reason. ;)

Generally speaking people do it on one hit. As I have said I the ones I do the hour with I also do the SRG 1119. However you are quite right there are people that do the hour with their pet Instructor and then come to me for the 1119 bit. But the ratio is far more in favour of the former!

jxk
30th Apr 2008, 08:36
I think you mean biennial not biannual i.e. every 2 years not twice a year:O

DFC
30th Apr 2008, 08:52
Your licence can be signed and the form completed and submitted to the CAA anytime within 3 months of the expiry date if all the requirements have been met.

Not 100% correct.

The licence must be signed before the rating expires.

It can be signed at any time prior to that provided that all the requirements have been met.

If the licence is signed more than 3 months prior to the rating expiry then the new validity period will run from thje date of signing and not from the expiry date.

Regards,

DFC

S-Works
30th Apr 2008, 09:16
Er thats seems to be what he has said. In fact all you have added to which was not under discussion is this:

If the licence is signed more than 3 months prior to the rating expiry then the new validity period will run from thje date of signing and not from the expiry date

Anyway how can you have time to respond to this you should be far to busy making up new laws. Or better still showing the LAW to back up your claims. ;);):ok:

k12479
30th Apr 2008, 15:47
k12479 - then you were told wrong.
Indeedy, it appears I was.

homeguard
30th Apr 2008, 17:07
I couldn't possibly fly with the whole of our membership, even every other year. Normally, although not always, the PPL holder will have flown with an instructor not an examiner toward revalidation.

Therefore, I advise instructors and the members that should they be undertaking dual flying/training anytime within the second 12 month period then please ensure that at least one flight is 60 minutes long and then sign/have the logbook signed. Can save a lot of hassle later. When flights are left until the last minute you can bet the weather will be awful and illness prevents flying. Who wants if it can be avoided to undertake a Renewal Test and incur a test fee simply because an expiry date has been passed by a few days.

Lister Noble
30th Apr 2008, 17:16
I did mine last week ,and the licence would have run out on 10th May so I was getting quite worried.
We were even looking at instrument/night flying as things got more desperate.
We have been trying for several months,but weather and work interfered ,so it is good advice from Homeguard to get one under the belt in previous 12 months.
I did mine with the CFI /Examiner who taught me to fly,he signed the log book and filled in the form which we both signed.
He then sent that off to the CAA.
Lister:)

S-Works
30th Apr 2008, 18:08
Very good advice from homeguard. You would be amazed at the number of people that don't heed it! Still it keeps me occupied!
:)

will5023
30th Apr 2008, 21:08
Ahh the BFR, dare I mention the LAA/PCS do these as well? Or will the quotes of you can't, CPL etc etc be heard, become a member and enjoy the scheme :ok:. www.laa.uk.com (http://www.laa.uk.com)

Will.

DFC
1st May 2008, 08:04
We were even looking at instrument/night flying as things got more desperate.

Why not do some dual instrument flying or some dual night flight?

The 1 hour dual can be used to try something new such as instrument or night flying, expand your knowledge or practice other skills.

Therefore it should not be simply because of presure to get the 1 hour done that night or instrument flight training be completed.

-------

Bose,

It was not what he said. He gave the impression that many fall foul of i.e. that the requirements must be met within the 3 month window prior to rating expiry.

However, people must remember that most examminers either do not charge, or charge a small admin fee for signing the rating page.

Thus if you get your licence signed on January 1 2008 and it is valid until December 31 2009, if due to lack of flying you completed a dual check in July 2008, provided that the flight was 1 hour and between July 2008 and July 2009, you have the required excperience then why not get the licence signed off early? - Leaving it after July 2009 requires another dual flight.

Thus in July 2009, you get the rating extended until July 2011 at no extra cost.

New PPLs especially should remember that any test replaces the requirement for a dual flight.

Therefore provided that they have the required flying completed, just less than 1 year after the skill test, they should get their licence signed off for another 2 years.

People seem to not understand that idea and consequently a small industry has started up round pilots feeling that they have to do the dual flight and get the peperwork singed within the last 3 months which is not the case.

Of course, at many places also if you are short of hours then a test can be cheaper than.

Thus after your test you can get 3 years of SEP flying before having to resort to a 1 hour dual flight if you use the system and keep the paperowrk correct.

Regards,

DFC

Lister Noble
1st May 2008, 11:01
DFC,
I did do something different.
We did the flight in a Stearman and after general handling ,steep turns etc, I learned to loop!
It was a new experience to do one myself and great fun.
Lister

homeguard
1st May 2008, 12:01
DFC

All that may be true, but most wish to use the full validity of their 24 months. In such a case they must wait until they are within 3 months of the expiry date, even when all complience has been met, so not to lose continuity.

You explain the test exemption but it should be emphasised that only a test for the issue/maintenance of a licence/rating counts. A club check does not.

Bath
2nd May 2008, 09:47
I don't think a form is sent to the CAA anymore for the 2-yearly renewal/revalidation, thats what I was told a month or two ago.

The form still needs to be sent as many posts have stated, trouble is CAA files it under "BIN"

ie: They throw it away! but still needs to be signed by instructor and pilot!

If the pilot is over by just 1 day a GFT must be taken as it is then a revalidation.

Quoted from CAA phone call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DFC
2nd May 2008, 09:56
Lister,

Good. I have no doubt that your skills (and confidence) have increased as a result and that is the whole idea.

-------

Homeguard,

Yes. A club check is not a test.

If one uses the system to the max, every 3 years one needs to have either;

a) a flight test for a rating of some kind; or

b) a 1 hour dual flight.

So one pilot can keep doing their renewals in the 3 month window.

They pay for test £350 (A/C plus test) and almost 2 years later a dual flight £150 plus £5 admin fee. Then they repeat in 2 years again £150 plus the £5 admin. Thus at the end on 6 years when they have to do it again they have spent £660

The other pilot pays for the test £350 and at the end of the first year extends by 2 years £5 admin fee. At the end of year 3 they complete the dual flight £150 and extend £5 admin. At the end of year 4 they extend £5 admin.

They both need to extend the rating at the end of year 6.

Pilot 1 has spent £660

Pilot 2 has spent £ 515

If my math is correct, Pilot 1 has spent 28% more for keeping their rating valid.

Using timing of additional rating training and/ or testing to reduce the need for dual flights and it is possible to fly for ever without having to do a dual flight specifically for the purpose of revalidation of the SEP rating.

Regards,

DFC

BackPacker
2nd May 2008, 10:10
Yes. A club check is not a test.

True. But if you're smart about it you make sure you do the club check with an instructor, make sure it last an hour and that the instructor signs your logbook. All you need then is the examiners signature and you're good for another two years. Oh, and if you're even smarter, make sure you do something new on that club check. A checkout on a new airplane type, aerobatics, night flight, you name it. You can even do a full IFR lesson and have that count.

stocker
2nd May 2008, 13:06
I have never seen a form at any of the flying clubs that I have used to do my bienniel flight, I have just had my log book signed.... Does this mean I am not legal to fly and if so what can I do now to get back on track?

BackPacker
2nd May 2008, 14:12
I have never seen a form at any of the flying clubs that I have used to do my bienniel flight, I have just had my log book signed.... Does this mean I am not legal to fly and if so what can I do now to get back on track?

For FAA, you are quite legal (I think).

For JAA, an examiner has to check your logbook and sign your license - more specifically the rating validity page. And you jointly fill in form SRG\1119 and send it to the CAA.

If you have a JAA license and have not sent any paperwork to the CAA in the last two years then I fear you might indeed be flying illegally. Check out LASORS to see what you need to do to become legal again.

jgs43
2nd May 2008, 20:21
If Stocker has an NPPL with SSEA rating then he would be legal (Until 31st January 2008 this was on a rolling validity and did not require an Examiner to sign the rating page).

Only the JAR/OLD UK licence requires the Examiner's signature and Form SRG/1119 completed.

I do not know what the requirements are for an FAA licence.

BackPacker
2nd May 2008, 22:36
Darn. You're right. That's a combination I hadn't considered.

Stocker, we need more details: type of license, date issued (or renewed), what type or class rating you have, when that was last renewed, how many hours you have in each different type or class in the last 12 months, including instruction hours. Etc. Etc.

And then again, what you hear over here is pure speculation and guesswork from a bunch of amateurs. You might want to contact the CAA directly and get the truth on the matter.

(BTW. Don't e-mail the CAA but call them. I've sent some questions by e-mail over the last few months and even though the automatic reply machine promises a human reply within 10 working days, it took them almost a month, recently, to write a response.)

rocket3
14th Jul 2008, 10:05
My bi-annual was due 3rd July 08. I finished a check ride in a Lance (that I now fly) with an instructor / examiner on the 1st May 08. It appeared that this was too early to count as a renewal so I planned to do another hour in good time but work, weather etc got in the way.

As I couldn't reposition the Lance (renewal lapsed) I booked a flight at a flying club for the 13th July, the instructor on checking my licence found that as I had missed renewal prior to the 3rd July I would have to take a test (LST).

Couldn't believe it at first but there you are, did the test in an unfamiliar ac, got signed off, forms sent into the CAA and it cost me 60 squid more than a check ride as it was a test!

It was a very useful hour as it happened and most enjoyable in a very docile (and very nice) Archer. I'm told countless PPLs make this mistake and many end up on the wrong side of the CAA law.

David

Lister Noble
14th Jul 2008, 10:28
The last post has now got me confused!
Surely the dates were in the last 3 months?
Lister:confused:

rocket3
14th Jul 2008, 15:55
Clearly I was poorly advised about the timing, my difference training on the Lance would have counted and I should have been signed off as it was only 2 months to my end date of 3rd July, however, it didn't happen so I lapsed.

My point was the implication of this once it has happened, there is no option other than to take an LST, I turned up at the airfield with no idea that this was the case, fortunately the instructor was an examiner so it all worked out on the day.

David