PDA

View Full Version : Aviation book

Bae
25th Apr 2008, 12:25
Hi all,

Not sure in wich forum to ask this question, will give it a try here:

A while ago I saw a book written by I believe a SAS captain, dealing with meteorology, winter ops, climb gradients ...

Unfortunately I forgot the book's title and author, but I know you can order it from a small publishing company in Sweden.

Anybody knows this book or can point me in the right direction.

Much appreciated!

mompi
26th Apr 2008, 10:11
.. we'll let folk find the commercial sites themselves, please ...

Bae
28th Apr 2008, 07:55
I thank you for your very constructive answer!

roljoe
28th Apr 2008, 08:28
Hi BAE,

disregard the stupid "mompi" 's answer , for a second post , :ugh:

Have a try on the "transair pilot shop" site, they are proposing a lot of publications,...could be a initial track..

rgds

Bae
28th Apr 2008, 10:27
Hi roljoe,

Could not find the specific book I was looking for, but indeed many other interesting publications.

Thanks.

plain-plane
28th Apr 2008, 12:02
hallo

I think you are looking for the book called something like: "from takeoff to landing".

The one I am thinking of has a duck which has just landed and skidded in the snow on the front page as well as several cartoon drawings inside with Laurel and Hardy flying LR 23s and Mad Dogs....

I too have found that book very good and a must read, if you dont feel like reading the original documents yourself (and who rellay do that)...the only problem is that it can be very difficult to get hold off...:{:sad::sad:

plain-plane

edit:
"Olle Åkerlunds" is the guy who wrote the book, not a very common name you should be able to find the book by googling his name....:ok:

Pugilistic Animus
28th Apr 2008, 17:23
If you'er already a pilot and converting to jets---I recommend the following as must reads--

1. Handling the big jets --D.P Davies

2.FAA --Pilot's handbook of aeronautical knowledge

3. FAA --- Airplane flying handbook

4-- Caveat--not everything applicable to other countries---FAA-- instrument procedures handbook---

also perhaps FAA Aircraft Weight and Balance handbook

and

learn to use the CR-3

between those three booklets there's everything you need to know:ok:

PA

OverRun
28th Apr 2008, 18:46
If your Swedish is up to it, KSAB is about the only place on the 'Net to have it. Of course, this is the perfect chat-up line to get someone Swedish to help you with the translation
http://www.ksab.net/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage&product_id=157&category_id=31&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28&vmcchk=1&Itemid=28

PEI_3721
29th Apr 2008, 01:29
“From Takeoff to Landing” was a private publication written by Olle Akerlind for SAS. It was an excellent pilots guide to PANS-OPS and TERPS. I have a well thumbed English language copy.
A limited licensed reprint (fewer risqué sketches) was undertaken by Honeywell (drafted by Olle) as their contribution to ALAR - in English. In addition to Honeywell, some of the major manufacturers had a few copies for distribution. I don’t believe that there are any more copies from these sources, but I have seen an unofficial scanned copy.

nnhy
29th Apr 2008, 02:37
i have two more years of study before i am able to start flight training.
on the topics of books, any recommendations to read up more JAA atpl subjects. I look at Jepp. but it expensive for now.

thanks

fly safe

Bae
29th Apr 2008, 07:54
Thank you all for your answers, the one on the swedish website, is the one I am looking for.

I will try to order it there.:ok:

lion-g
29th Apr 2008, 12:52
HI BAE,

So the title of the book is ? IS it in English ?

lion-g

Bae
29th Apr 2008, 13:05
lion-g,

The title of the book is "From take off to landing".

I have seen a hardcopy of it in English, but I will get confirmation of that from the website offering it before ordering.

Bae.

mompi
29th Apr 2008, 21:17
answer to admin.

would be nice, not to change my message. if you change anything, it would be nice at least to let others know that I was posting an email adress where you can by this book.

thanks

OverRun
30th Apr 2008, 06:38
Bae,

If you do get the book, I'd certainly appreciate your comments and a short description of the contents. It sounds an intriguing one for my bookshelf.

Bae
30th Apr 2008, 07:47
Hey mompi,

I did not realize your message was edited by admin.

Please PM me with your info!

Thanks, Bae.

Bae
1st Sep 2008, 08:39
Ordered it today!

LA931
3rd Sep 2008, 04:56
Did you get it in English?
I can't find it anywhere.

l8starter
3rd Sep 2008, 09:02
I found this book on a website (unfortunatley I cann't for the life of me remember which one :-( ) and it said "From Take Off to Landing" has been been reprinted together with another book,from that series, and is now entitled "Instrument Flight Procedures and Aircraft Performance" ISBN 91-976000-0-8 by Olle Arkelunds and Hekan Ortlund; was available in English. Hope that helps.

L8.

Chart8R
3rd Sep 2008, 12:26
I have a copy of "From power ON to power OFF" which sounds very similar. The frontispiece states that it is an overview of basic JAR-Ops peformance criteria. I have his copy issued by SAS (in English) ISBN 91-631-4563-4.
I can send you a publisher and email address via PM if required.

LA931
3rd Sep 2008, 21:20
Chart8R, I would appreciate if you send me the info via PM. Thanks.

OverRun
4th Sep 2008, 01:39
This is nonsense. No-one is trying to promote any commercial interest, but trying to find what (sounds to be) a good technical reference. If it was good enough for SAS and Honeywell, that'll be good enough for me to take a look.

Clearly from reading the thread, finding the book is not proving so easy. Because the author is Swedish and the Swedish websites are mostly Swedish, the normal English language search systems don't help. I googled Olle Åkerlunds and got nothing intelligible to me. Although return #2 from Google might provide some light relief Åkerlunds (http://lambiek.net/artists/g/goransson_gote/goransson_biggles.jpg)

Through PMs I eventually got to the current publisher: Håkan Örtlund Produktion (http://www.flightproc.com/) which does have a Flag that can be clicked to give some English words. The history of the book is that "From takeoff to landing' has been around for some twenty years aiming at operational people and instrument procedure design.
Three years ago, a companion book – From power ON to power OFF – was introduced, dealing with aircraft performance. These two publications have now been updated and combined into a single volume - INSTRUMENT FLIGHT PROCEDURES and AIRCRAFT PERFORMANCE.

Part of the remit of Tech Log is to spread technical knowledge. This is the first book I have heard of on instrument procedure design, and there are only a limited number of books on aircraft performance, so this link is potentially as useful as any of the others to D P Davies, Swanson and the like.

I have no commercial interest or knowledge of the author or publishers.

john_tullamarine
4th Sep 2008, 05:18
I've asked flyblue to have a look at this thread ... she should be well placed to help out with tracking down the language problems ...

l8starter
4th Sep 2008, 08:20
OverRun Brilliant ! Your Link led me to the website which turned out to be the one I couldn't remember where I'd found the said book ! Thanks, cos it had been driving me nuts {as the man with the steering wheel down his trousers said to his GP ;-) }. Getting to that funny age I guess :-( -thank goodness for checklists !

L8

john_tullamarine
5th Sep 2008, 00:32
The ladies have come back with http://www.nakshop.no/product.php?pr...=0&page=2&js=n as another avenue ...

Normally we are required to remove links to commercial sites but, given the interest and obvious difficulties being experienced, I'll stick my neck out and make an exception ...

said to his GP .. that's wonderful .. can anyone use it or do you claim copyright ?

l8starter
6th Sep 2008, 08:41
I's the way I tell 'em ;-) To give is divine !

L8

Derate
10th Sep 2008, 10:29
OverRun,thanks for the info..ordered the book late last week from Hakan and got it in the mail today.Excellent publication with great information inside.

minimany
10th Sep 2008, 23:15
Just got it myself too. Hakan very pleasant to deal with and an excellent publication.