PDA

View Full Version : Flight International Rep. bad mouths pilots and their training

Ontheairwaves
24th Aug 2001, 22:06
On a recent trip home to Ireland i heard a Flight International rep commenting on the lack of proper pilot training today.
The story goes as follows;
The Flight International(FI) rep said that most airlines today scrimp and save money and put pilots through the most basic of flight reviews and that the simulators the pilots use are not realistic enough to give proper training. He also added that the pilots themselves know that the simulator they are in is "safe" and hence the CAN screw up giving a false sense of security and when a real emergency occurs in the real aircraft that pilots are not able to cope with the pressures because they know that this time they could be killed!!!!!
What a load of rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!
This guy evidently does not realise that if you screw up your sim ride that you can possibly lose your job and if this is not enough to make you do your job right then you
should be there in the first place.
The guy also said that the AUTOPILOT is used from just after takeoff to just before landing and yes while this may be true it leaves the pilot more time to look at the real problems. I have been trained that if an
emergency occurs in flight then leave the Autopilot in and check the SOP's and discuss time permitting) a solution....
The whole reason we use the AP is to help us to manage the work load rather than disconnecting at the first sign of a problem and then screwing the whole thing up.
I wish this was a rumour but this guy really said this.
He did acknowledge that pilots do get checked out regularly but that the airlines scrimp and save and don't give the pilots the full training they should have...after all "the pilots are being paid big sums of money to fly airplanes and therefore the airlines spend minimum time on them on the ground afterall what good are they doing paying them
large sums of money if they are flying simulators?"
I can't believe that this guy actually works for Flight International and is one of their spokes people on aviation...........
He certainly has NEVER been down the road we pilots go to complete our training and to keep current......
Too bad for aviators when they give air time to guys like that!!!!!!

Blackshirt
24th Aug 2001, 22:22
This wouldn't be a certain David Learmont would it???

Think his comments on this subject cropped up a few weeks ago.

....now on the subject of media aviation personalities.....Brenden O'Brien (aka Mister Flightline), now there's a man you can trust...

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: Blackshirt ]

whataboutbubba
24th Aug 2001, 22:23
I have always checked and talked about the QRH and leave SOPīs out of it. It could be otherwise at other companies?