PDA

View Full Version : Asthma and Class 1

Flyer 40
24th Apr 2008, 01:05
First posting on pprune so first off , Hi all . My question is this. Does anyone have any experience of going for a class 1 med with asthma? Mine is well controlled and hopefully will stay so. At 40yrs i was thinking of trying to move onwards from my ppl and med would seem in order before anything else. Thanks in advance for any replys.

SNS3Guppy
24th Apr 2008, 01:43
I can't speak for the UK, but the guideline generally is that childhood asthma ending at age 12 is acceptable without further review.

That's a good place to start when answering questions regarding whether or not you have asthma, if you follow.

Africrash
24th Apr 2008, 06:46
Hi,
From memory the uk view is that as long as the asthma is controlled by either inhaler or tablets and does not require injections then it is acceptable for class 1 medical. This may have changed with JAA/EASA rules though.

I doubt it will be a problem to get the class 1 possibly just a peak flow check to make sure you can breathe fully.

Best

Crash

HeliCraig
24th Apr 2008, 08:02
Fi Flyer40,

I had my initial issue Class 1 medical approx a fortnight ago at Gatwick; and I have asthma. Mine is exceptionally well controlled, in that I only really use an inhaler now if I have a cold or am about to attempt strenuous exercise.

I spoke to the chaps / chapesses at Gatwick about it and fortunately my peak flow and spriometry tests were all inside acceptable limits. However they did give the impression that should they have been outside of them then there was more "things" they/I could do which would help me.

There is a helpful page on the CAA website here:
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=540

but if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will answer what I know from my experience!

Best of luck.

Craig.

Mikehotel152
24th Apr 2008, 09:17
I had mild childhood asthma and to this day very occasionally get slightly 'raspy' breathing due to heyfever, cats or feather pillows. I therefore have a blue inhaler in a drawer somewhere but can't remember when I last used it and I won't be replacing it because my symptoms are very mild and disappear within minutes of removing the cause.

I have never smoked. I played sport throughout my childhood and still do, and I've never had breathing problems on an aircraft. I don't know what the rules are but I have a Class I Medical and my peak flow and lung capacity results were above average.

Toxfixiation
24th Apr 2008, 12:24
MH152 - I work in the pharmaceutical industry and would recommend that you keep tabs on your little blue inhaler's expiry date. Many reasons for this such as:

-It simply might not work when you need it
-Chemical compounds degrade over time, often into toxic substances, hence the reason for expiry dates.

:ok: