PDA

View Full Version : CAT 1 Lighting LVP's

bracebrace!
23rd Apr 2008, 19:22
Quick question. I see there's a NOTAM out for EDI until November about the Airfield lighting being CAT 1 only. Does this stop the AIRFIELD from going into LVP's?

On the A319 we can still do Cat 3b autolands with various components of the airfield lighting u/s with some restrictions on required RVR's but in order to COMMENCE an autoland the airfield HAS to be in LVP's (runway protection etc)

It's just that I've seen there's some misty weather forecast over the next few days and it could cause a lot more problems than the pothole this afternoon! :eek:

Spitoon
23rd Apr 2008, 20:39
Can't answer specifially for PH but LVPs are, as you suggest, put on for the airfield. LVPs protect ops in poor vis - departures can still take-off, and the restrictions on vehicle movements are still appropriate when any movements take place anyway.

As you point out, many aircraft can still make an approach even though some facilities are degraded. And BAA are not a company to limit income streams if they can avoid it! So, in the absence of any NOTAMs suggesting that there are any other degraded facilities, I would guess that everything else will be as 'normal'.

From a safety management perspective, it would probably be unwise to change established practise for a temporary period because it may cause confusion and misundrstandings when things go back to normal.

eyeinthesky
24th Apr 2008, 20:02
LVPS refer to the protection of the airfield, ILS critical area and so on. They are not specifically related to the Cat 1-3 minima. LVPs are often in force before the conditions drop below Cat 1 minima. Of course, if you are needing to see any lights below Cat 1 and they are not available, you will be going around. (I do understand of course that Cat 3 has no DH so certain lights are not required, but what if the runway centreline is out?)

Hootin an a roarin
24th Apr 2008, 21:10
The runway centreline is out!

bracebrace!
25th Apr 2008, 08:37
It's the CL (Centreline) lights being u/s that will cause problems. It restricts us to 300m during the day and 550m at night.

I was just wanting clarification that the lights being u/s didn't stop the airfield from going into LVP's and that seems to have been answered. Thanks.

Let's just hope we don't get a foggy summer.