PDA

View Full Version : why is modular cheaper than integrated ??

jxc
23rd Apr 2008, 16:30
Hi All

I know modular atpl studies is cheaper by modular as training on your own but where else is the savings to be made sorry if i am being just a little stupid

Cheers
JXC

Dreamshiner
23rd Apr 2008, 16:43
Go to America and come back and convert, aviation there is a third of the price compared to Europe and they tend to be friendlier.

Also conversions save money as FAA CPL to JAA is hours as required, so if you are fresh from the US then its easy peasy, try to find a school that uses the same aircraft type, no point spending extra money learning on a Seneca if you flew a Seminole or DA-42.

IR is 5 or 10 hours sim and 5 hours in an aircraft, again big savings if you come straight back to Europe and do it right away.

As for why modular is much cheaper than integrated maybe you should look at the exhibition stands and marketing material that Oxford/Cabair/Jerez roll out, plus the big salaries for accountants and former pilots and that extra layer of management. However they do have good maintenance facilities.

BerksFlyer
23rd Apr 2008, 16:44
The schools' airline links, recommendation systems - though modular schools also have recommendation systems.

I would have thought it's simply a case of them being able to charge what they charge because at the end of the day, if the marketing is good enough, people will always be tempted and willing to pay what they charge.

Supply and demand.

nich-av
23rd Apr 2008, 20:42
Thank you for opening this thread, we'll have a good time here.

Why is modular cheaper than integrated, even at schools where they offer both?

There's a simple answer to that question and you can pretty much sum it up in one single word: marketing.

Integrated schools are marketing integrated as being a program that favors employment, a program that facilitates the learning process thanks to a dynamic structure and offers an easy repayment scheme.

Why do people buy into it?
-Some starters just tend to fall for that marketing.
-Starters find it easier to have their parents sign for a hyper high loan and reimburse it on a later date than to find ways to do it cheaper on money they can't get to borrow from a bank. The money borrowing process seems to be easy on an integrated program and almost impossible on a modular program.

Result, people end up spending twice or even more than they are supposed to.

That integrated students have more chances to find a job is almost a myth. We have seen no hard facts nor statistics proving that.

In a survey among 7 airlines, 6 out of 7 airlines said they don't care whether it's modular or integrated. 1 out of 7 preferred integrated.

http://www.gapan.org/careers/survey.htm

Q4 Does your organisation have a preference for candidates who have followed a particular training course to obtain their licence? E.g. JAA integrated/JAA modular/military/other.

Comment. One airline preferred JAA integrated training while the remaining six expressed no particular preferences as to the type of training course followed to obtain the commercial licence.

The survey did not follow up with questions about required standards of performance achieved during flying training, e.g. first time pass rate in ground examinations or flying tests, because it was assumed that these would be the same regardless of the type of training course.

The good news for prospective airline pilots is that all avenues are open to them to obtain their licences by the most cost effective means. This good news does come with a health warning and that is that airlines are likely to scrutinise individual results when interviewing prospective pilot employees. Regardless of the type of training course chosen flying training schools vary in the quality of the average results achieved by their students.

Profit margins?
Some may think that certification for integrated schools comes at a higher expense. In some regards that is true, seen the higher complexity involved. Yet, that does not justify dozens of thousand higher training expenses. Moreover, modular flight schools operating in Europe often offer lower pricing than integrated flight schools despite the fact that the latter conduct most of the flying part in USA where the operational expenses on aircraft are 60% lower than in Europe and integrated leaves a student with less hours.

Future prospects:
Low-cost providers are starting to offer training at bottom low prices and pulling away many many students from integrated schools.
Integrated schools are starting to diversify their programs to attract more students through cadetships, sponsorhips, etc... and starting to explore new markets like India and China.

v6g
23rd Apr 2008, 20:47
Modular schools sell training. Integrated schools sell a dream. Customers buying dreams aren't price sensitive.

The same argument applies to people who lease a luxury car instead of buying a second-hand economy car.

Prophead
23rd Apr 2008, 21:00
Dont forget you also need to live during you integrated training. This can add thousands onto the cost of the course itself. Modular can be done around a job and many do.

5 RINGS
24th Apr 2008, 07:26
takes less characters to write it:}

jxc
24th Apr 2008, 07:50
I understand the GS part been cheaper modular but when it comes to the cpl and IR surely they are charged at similar prices i.e aircraft hourly rates

EK4457
24th Apr 2008, 08:19
As mentioned above, you're paying for a load of marketing and a whole layer of management which is just not there at a modular school. These people and their resources must cost hundreds of thousands of pounds. Of course, this ulimately gets passed on to the customer.

It's really simple. Modular and Integrated are two very different business models. They have evolved from the days of 'self improver' and the more traditional option which is now integrated.

Integrated schools need to justify charging 40% more and offereing less hours. Hence the marketing and claimed 'contacts' with airlines.

Most integrated schools have a mixed reputation even with a marketing department. Some modular schools have an excellent reputation and NO marketing department. Says it all to me.

But, you pays your money and takes your choice, whatever works best for you.

EK

A and C
24th Apr 2008, 08:20
It is simple, the training company's have sold the idea to the airlines that it is better to have someone who has done the integrated course, if you are part of one of the airline "attached" courses the airline gets tax breaks that results in your training being almost free to the airline and you the pilot being tied to them for a number of years.

The advantage to the training company they can provide a linked up modular course and charge you the pilot a lot more money for a "dressed up " product, I suspect a large slice of selling a dream and marketing to the money providors (be it the bank or Mummy & Daddy).

If all of you guys went "modular" You couls be £15,000-£20,000 better off at the end of the course with the same licence and it would force the airlines to shop around for pilots. Who knows they might even start paying for your type ratings. (would it not be refreshing to see the threads about training bonds return?)

Re-Heat
24th Apr 2008, 08:55
Content - fewer solo hours and more dual hours
Structure - earlier exposure to twin aircraft - CPL test on twin at some schools
Support - set up as a school, with more support staff to run the outfit
Training aids - sometimes more than at a purely modular school
Availability - sometimes provide more spare aircraft to ensure availability than a small modular school

Finals19
24th Apr 2008, 09:14
IR is 5 or 10 hours sim and 5 hours in an aircraft, again big savings if you come straight back to Europe and do it right away

If you have an overseas licence, particularly US, do not be fooled by the above. What is quoted is the absolute JAA minima. Ten hours sim is perhaps do-able, but 5 hours a/c including your 170a is very unrealistic. A lot of schools in the UK prepare you for test by flying diverse routes in the a/c - often potential routes where the CAA may take you. A typical route can be 1.7-2.0hrs flight time, so you do the maths. If you haven't seen an NDB before, I would add at least another 10 hours flight time onto that, if not more (so 15-20 hours on average)

CPL conversion is "as required" and is much more reasonable - if you have decent handling skills then all that is really needed is some navigation exercises, so 5-7 hours should be fine.

Deano777
24th Apr 2008, 09:39
Look at the costs of Modular, these are general but in the right ballpark.

PPL - £6500
Hour Building - 100hrs @ £120 in the UK - £12,000
ATPL course - £2,000
Night Rating - £700
CPL - £4700
Multi Rating - £2,000
IR - £12,000
MCC - £3,000

Total = £42,900

What you really spend is quite different, these are the extras that I spent.

PPL exams - 8 @ £15 each - £120
PPL GST - £320
PPL License issue - £150 (can't remember exact cost)
Night Rating endorsement - £70
Petrol to & from Bristol Intl - 80 trips x 75 miles @ 35mpg - £600
Ancillaries like headset (x2), kneeboard, CRP1 & 5, pens etc etc - £600
Petrol to & from BGS for ATPL - 110 mile round trip x 5 days x 4 weeks - £250
Lunch & snacks + drinks for duration of ATPLs - £80
ATPL exams x 14 @ £60 - £840
ATPL exam accomodation for 8 days (2 modules), including all food, drinks, travel expenses - £500
Petrol to & from Aeros in Staverton - for hour building, CPL/IR - 110 trips @ 68 mile round trip - £840
Landing fees during hour building - £125
CPL test fee - including solo hire for test - £975
IR test fee - including solo hire for test - £1250
CPL/IR license issue - £210
FIC course, including test fee, solo hire, travel & food - £7200

Now there must be more to it than this, but the extras adds up to £14,130

This gives a grand total of £57,030

Add a few more things that I've most likely forgotten and it is pushing £60,000.

So all in all is it that much cheaper? I'm not sure what's included in the integrated course as far as ancillaries go so I can't comment. :)

Prophead
24th Apr 2008, 11:34
Deano777

I wouldn't say they are general i'd say they were on the high side. I don't know anyone who has spent £120 an hour for all their hour building.

As for things like petrol food etc. these would surely be more for an intergrated course.

Alot of modular guys go to the USA for some of their training (As do alot of integrated by the way) and this can bring the costs down considerably.

Re-Heat

Your comments assume the modular student has done no research into the school they attend and could equally apply to integrated.

Lets remember there are good and bad schools both integrated and modular.

Deano777
24th Apr 2008, 11:50
Prophead

Some of us are not "lucky" enough to live in close proximity to alot of flying schools, there are only a few in my catchment area, and those prices, are rounded up to the nearest £100 are typical of the area I live in, some people will have to pay more, some less, so to me they are general pricing, I'm not here to talk semantics though, you know what I am trying to get across.

I had forgotten that I spent £95 per hr for 40hrs of my hour building, the rest was about £115 - £120, and I did state that this was in the UK and not abroad. I chose not to go to the USA for my own reasons.

Also Prophead, the living expenses would be the thing that's higher for the Integrated student, but not in all cases, not everyone has to stay in B&Bs or digs, also those that do will probably have little or no travelling expenses at all.

My point above was to highlight that Modular is not necessarily cheaper, and that just because modular outfits give you prices of their specific courses this doesn't include skills tests with solo hire, exam fees etc etc etc which evidently bumps up the price of modular training quite considerably, and this is normally the things that Mr Layman doesn't take into account or budget for.

A and C
24th Apr 2008, 16:24
I could knock the best part of £5000 off from the hour building costs with an aircraft on your doorstep! ( and I would bet it is a much nicer aircraft than you would find at most places in the UK)

I could also put a big dent in the travel bill as well because the aircraft it at the location best for you.

potkettleblack
24th Apr 2008, 16:37
Its all very easy to nit pick someone when they have taken the time and effort to put a very detailed list of the likely actual costs involved in undertaking the training. Me personally I would take those costs and add on a 10% contingency and work from there. if it comes out cheaper its a bonus. Be conservative, thats what aviation is all about. Unfortunately far to many people get near the finish line and come up short when they run out of cash.

Also how much will it cost you being out of work and for how long whilst you do the training?

Deano777
24th Apr 2008, 17:10
Thanks potkettleblack, I'm used to the nitpicking ;)

A and C

It's a little late now as I completed my hour building over 18 months ago, however, I like to do a bit of touring on my days off from the airlines so if you could PM me details that would be good. And as it's £5k cheaper than the price quoted from me that's nearly ½ price?
How do you know where I live to say that your a/c is in the best location for me? ;)

A and C
24th Apr 2008, 17:57
PM on it's way to you.

The aircraft comes to the location that you require so it cuts the cost of road transport to the minimum.

hollingworthp
24th Apr 2008, 18:07
A & C

Sounds like a good deal - so what is the hourly rate like?

Does it depend where in the country you are?

A and C
24th Apr 2008, 18:48
PM on it's way to you & you can be anywere in the UK.

Potkettleblack

Nitpicking? using the numbers Deano777 posted I made a conservative estimate of the saving that could be made just on the hours building flying content.
If I was to realy pull apart the road transport costs as well I could save some more money, in total I could save IRO 10% of his total costs or £6000 if you like.

It is good to see realistic numbers on this subject posted taking into account all the costs, and I thank Deano777 for doing so, I hope the breakdown above will encourage pepole to look more carefully at the costs of hour building in the USA. I say this with you knowing full well that I have an axe to grind on the subject but looking at the numbers the cost in the USA is usualy around the £70/hour mark when all costs are added up if you use a reputable company.

Hopefully none of you will end up with the disaster suffered by one of my customers who's trip to the USA ended with the hourly rate of £690! This is very much the exception but once you step on the airliner the flying has to be cheap & plentyfull to keep the hourly cost low.

Dreamshiner
24th Apr 2008, 22:57
A&C - Everyone loves an entrepreneur!

Also any newbies reading this, a FI licence is not manditory, and if you take that into account I would suggest if you follow Deano's extra's you maybe add £5k to any integrated course total published cost. As you have to eat and drive to places and buy headsets wherever you learn to fly.

I do find a certain degree of sniping about the FAA/US system a tad boring, yes the RT is more informal, so what is there many more accidents due to miscommunication there than here?

An aircraft stalls at the exact same airspeed in the US as it does in Europe but it costs me 2/3 less dinero to get it into the air to make it stall.

I did my CPL in a twin with 2.2 hours dual in the UK, its all about application, studying like a dog, preperation and a bit of luck :-) I would stress again, if you come back from the US and go straight into the mix then it is certainly possible. Also having a CAA/FAA qualified instructor in the US who prepares you to come back home but charges you US prices helps.

Finally with respect to reheats comments,
Content - fewer solo hours and more dual hours (erm ..... you are the boss in a modular course .... hello! If you want more multi hours then you say "hey Mr FI can I spend less time in the 152 and more in the twin please? .... It's going to cost me more? ..... well naturally, I understand, nothing in life is free, thank you")
Structure - earlier exposure to twin aircraft - CPL test on twin at some schools (See above, just replace "spend less time in the 152 and more in the" with "sit my CPL in the")

Remember which is something I sometimes forgot during my training, you are the customer, you do what suits you within reason and makes you feel comfortable, do not feel pressured or rushed, its expensive and you owe it to yourself to tailor it to your needs learning level.

nich-av
24th Apr 2008, 23:41
Content - fewer solo hours and more dual hours
Structure - earlier exposure to twin aircraft - CPL test on twin at some schools
Support - set up as a school, with more support staff to run the outfit
Training aids - sometimes more than at a purely modular school
Availability - sometimes provide more spare aircraft to ensure availability than a small modular school

Sorry but I can't agree on all your points.
Content - fewer solo, same dual, less TT.
Structure - Earlier exposure to twin, but same amount. Meaning less SEP training and less TT
Support - More staff needed for marketing, yes. The student per staff ratio is higher in integrated because of more students per ground class, instructors booked from morning to evening, etc...
Training aids - Their profit margins are enormous, so they can afford to buy flashy new equipment + use that flashy equipment to promote and attract even more students to make even more money, etc...
Availability and overall organisation - Better organisation, I agree.

As reply to A&C's marketing stunts on this thread:

So you rent your C-150 for 60-70£/hour?
I admire you, how can you make any profits on that in the UK if you're honestly paying VAT?

-At 6 USG/hour and 6£/USG that's already 36£/hour.
-Maintenance is 15£/hour.
-Engine OVH is 10K£ and TBO is 2400 on a C152... 4£/hour
-Prop OVH + regular replacement... 1£/hour
-Annual inspection + insurance with the higher premium for commercial rental, cost 3K£. Supposing your aircraft flies 600 hours per year, that's 5£/ hour
-Supposing aircraft was acquired for 20K£, and you use it for another 10000 hours, ownership cost of 2£/hour.

A total of 63£/hour without VAT.
Add VAT 17.5% and you're at 74£/hour.

This is supposing that you don't account for parking/hangarage/tie-down, you don't account for unforeseen maintenance costs, you have a perfect aircraft that doesn't burn oil and you don't have other expenses or taxes to pay... let alone any earnings.

Are you sure that your accounts add up?

On a sidenote, pilots, make sure you don't fraud on VAT because the consequences are severe. Make sure you receive a vat invoice for every flight hour you log.

hollingworthp
25th Apr 2008, 00:00
There is a certain threshold below which you do not need to be VAT registered although that limit is only around 55k if memory serves so I suspect that does not come into this situation.

nich-av
25th Apr 2008, 00:12
Thanks for that info hollingworth. Even without the VAT I have a hard time figuring out how he can even achieve break-even...

hollingworthp
25th Apr 2008, 01:31
I have no idea as I have never hired an aircraft let alone owned and operated one. Just wanted to point out a - albeit highly unlikely! - legitimate reason for VAT not being involved :)

Re-Heat
25th Apr 2008, 09:00
Their profit margins are enormous
:hmm:
You've seen accounts for these companies then? If you had, you would know that their profits are quite marginal at best.

A and C
25th Apr 2008, 10:55
Thank you for the business advice, I have been operating for five years now, pay VAT and have the fleet in first class condition.

Having top of the line maintenance keeps the cost down in the long run and the customers happy.

As for the marketing stunts I got this from the master of the PPrune marketing stunt................... yourself:ok:

cfwake
25th Apr 2008, 11:03
Just to throw a few numbers in, at OAT (OAA as they are now):

Integrated students do 15 hours ME before their ME CPL test, modular guys do 10.

As far as I've seen on the internet most flying schools claim that they'll get you a rating in 6 hours flying time - some offer 10. Considering what there is to learn, this would seem rather limiting. Can someone who has done a 6 hour course please advise?

I have no doubt that students can complete the syllabus in this time and are competent (and I fully accept that some integrated students still haven't got to grips with the aeroplane after 15) but I for one am certainly happier to have flown the extra hours before going off for a flight exam in a brand new type - which is a very different beast to a simple non-retractable single that most of us have flown before.

You get more dual hours. Simple as. To licence issue (VFR CPL ME) I flew 123 hours, of which 46 were dual single engine hours and then the 15 multi engine were obviously dual also, not including 2 and a half hours of test. This is because at my school (no prizes for guessing which one), once you have completed your progress test 1 (the equivalent of a PPL skills test), every 3rd lesson is a dual simulated IFR flight (flight in simulated IFR, not IFR in a simulator!).

Before you move on to multis, you do what I understand is basically the IMC rating, again all dual, before a second prgress test (Imaginatively enough, PT2, presumably the IMC skills test). The time between PT1 (PPL Skills test) and starting the multi rating accounts for 28 hours of dual time which you would not normally get, unless you choose to do an IMC rating which accounts for 15 hours. In that time, we fly something like 30 hours cross country solo, significantly less than modular guys!

How many modular guys do an IMC, well, I'm in no position to guess the percentage, but most of those guys who come to my school modular don't appear to have done it and tend to be of the opinion that it is a useful rating if purely for familiarity with IFR procedures before jumping into the IR with no experience. Pure opinion but one formed from countless conversations with modular students, and learning the intricacies of holding during the 50 hours of an IR when you have a hell of a lot of other things to learn could perhaps be somewhat limiting.

Is it more expensive? Any idiot can tell you 'yes'

Is it more structured? Arguably, yes, more than a standard mod route at a small flying school/club!

Is it the better route? None of us here, irrelevant of who we are or how we try and argue it, are qualified to say if either is a better route...no-one has done both ways!

Will it get you a job sooner? Who knows - I am more inclined to believe that your individual ability and personality are what will get you the job eventually, unfortunately for modular students what seems to be true is that most airlines will look to interview integrated students before modular students at the newbie end of the market. The story I have heard from countless trainers, chief pilots and training captains is that an integrated student, as I recall seeing mentioned here a few days ago, is seen as more of a known quantity with well defined training progession and a single point of contact, from what I have been told directly, the danger of SOME modular students is that they have been to more than 3 schools for their training and so no-one has a real in-depth knowledge of their ability. Again I can accept that this is not the case for many, the modular students here have only usually been to the school where they did their PPL before coming here for CPL, IR and MCC.

But for my two cents, I have been fortunate enough to afford it, and if I had the choice again, I would again go integrated. If I hadn't had the money for my course, I'd have gone modular, simple as that, but I certainly wouldn't let other people's opinions influence my choice of training route, and I apologise if at any point in this post I have shown a clear sway towards my chosen route, I have tried to keep it as factual as possible, I accept that there are opinions lurking in there somewhere.

I would be interested to read a similar post from someone on the other side of the fence!

Prophead
25th Apr 2008, 11:22
cfwake

Just to clarify that last point if you didnt have the money for integrated would you have borrowed it from a bank in the current financial climate. It is this area i have a bit of a problem with, 21 year olds borowing huge sums after being told by an integrated school it will give them more chance of employment. :=

cfwake
25th Apr 2008, 12:30
Would I have borrowed the money today? Most likely not.

As far as impressionable 21 year olds go, there are plenty of them. But if they were turned down at an integrated school, do you honestly believe that they wouldn't go to the nearest modular shcool and do their ratings there. Cheaper yes, but whose property is almost always secured against the loan?

The parents of said students have an equal responsibility to research the industry and decide for themselves whether they are willing to give their guard the financial backing that is required.

I researched my chosen profession for well over 3 years and in that time spoke to countless people in the industry as well as doing all that I could to ensure that I was competent to venture down the path. I made the correct choice for me, but I admit that by the time I was told the marketing spiel by countless schools - and that included pretty forceful sales pitches by modular schools too - I already knew significantly more about what I was getting into than many others, who went to open days and asked questions such as 'So when you finish at this school, can you fly any plane' and (in the same Q&A session) 'So do you have to do different courses if you want to fly Boeings or Airbuses?'.

It was always made very clear to me that no route will guarantee you a job, this seems pretty obvious to me, anyone who thinks otherwise clearly needs to do more research, and if parents are not sure of what they are agreeing to, they also need to more significantly more research.

Just for those who have the slightest interest, and this is off at a bit of a tangent, I went to uni, I got the life experience whilst there (mostly not through uni but the extra curricular activities that I partook in - namely extensive interaction with the military) to prove to myself that I had the aptitude to succeed and this was substantiated by others in a position to examine it.

Straight out of school at under 20, time is on your side. People in this situation rarely (some do) have the right mind set for the job that they desire. Even if they have the right educational qualifications, they are rendered unsuitable for the profession because of their age, usually always having lived at home and never having had to fend for themselves, and certainly I have strongly recommended to people who have asked for advice that unless you will be 23 or ideally older (I will be 24) when you get into the job market, it is perhaps more wise to take your time, if solely for the purpose of getting into the wide world outside the classroom.

Perhaps it is this sheltered view of the world (and the are plenty of uni students who share this view due to the way they spend their 3 years) that make it, in our opinion, easier to pitch to.

Knowing what I know now (and i would suggest that part of the problem is that many people are complete outsiders to the industry), if my 20 year old (funnily enough I haven't got one) wanted to do flight training, they wouldn't be doing an integrated course. They'd get life experience at uni or in working life, and could do a PPL for the modular course or save to part-finance integrated training when they were 22 or 23. I've met and known enough students, both modular and integrated, to know that the advantages of being older are vital to be at the top of the pile in the job market, and this would hold true for whatever industry I was in.

So perhaps it isn't the way they are told about instant employment, it's how they are led to believe (and schools both modular and integrated are guilty of not mentioning this) that they are mature enough to train for one of the world's premier careers that requires maturity on a level alien to most others. And it is, in my opinion, maturity that forms the respect that enables two complete strangers to handle any emergency, no matter how grave, an hour and a half after they first meet.

And as a last note, folks, I suspect that most would agree, the 3 or 4 years after school, whatever you do for them, are vital in making an individual a rounded and mature potential employee - and if you miss out on them, you're missing a treat!

Re-Heat
25th Apr 2008, 12:41
The above posts from cfwake shoule be archived and noted as the first thing that any young wannabe should read...preferably before posting their first question on this website as well.

Good words of advice.

cfwake
25th Apr 2008, 12:52
Oh stop you'll make me blush!

Prophead
25th Apr 2008, 13:02
I agree, and thanks for posting that cfwake.

portsharbourflyer
25th Apr 2008, 13:04
May I be correct to assume the integrated courses were a throwback to the days when airline sponsorship or part sponsorships were alot more common; known as CAP509 courses in pre-JAA days.

I would be interested to know how many candiadates self funded CAP 509 courses (during the eighties and early nineties) compared to the numbers self funding integrated courses now.

When the airline sponsorships started to dry up I would hazard a guess that places like Oxford were set to lose nearly half of its customer base. As a result Oxford in order to survive had to start marketing its courses to private individuals rather than airline training departments.

cfwake
25th Apr 2008, 13:10
portsharbourflyer

Correct, the integrated course is borne from the old sponsored training route, as the modular course is a development of the old self-improver route.

As for comparisons between self-sponsored integrated guys, please remember that it is some years now since anyone of note offered sponsored training, the best you can hope for these days is guaranteed employment, and even then it is a guarantee that relies on the airline's situation when you finish training. No one will pay your training course any more, and as far as making comparisons between now and then, I would limit time scales to around 25 minutes.

portsharbourflyer
25th Apr 2008, 13:56
Cfwake, I am currently working as an FO, so I have no vested interest in ab-initio sponsorships or training.

The point I was trying to make is in the 70's Oxford was completely supported by contracts from airlines across the world. I don't have hard facts for how the customer base was in the eighties and nineties. But it is the historical track record of Oxford and a clever marketing campaign that saw the company survive. Once more the company should be complimented for this as the irradication of sponsorship and the JAA modular system should have seen CAP509 courses fall to the wayside.

The other point to remember is that on an integrated course half of the p1 time is SPIC, so there is an instructor on board, so paying "dual" rates for p1 time will add considerable cost. It is still a mystery how Oxford charge so much when a good proportion of the training is conducted in the US.

ford cortina
25th Apr 2008, 14:30
Easy, because they can and people will pay. Its called very clever marketing

cfwake
25th Apr 2008, 17:08
phf:

Absolutely no qualms with your point and I agree that historically, schools such as OAT doing integrated courses relied on airline endorsement wheras things have reversed now, however I would say that while the survival of the integrated course may well be somewhat attributed to marketing, it is also attributable to the structure of the course and, unfortunately, the view that the airlines hold over the two training routes. Very unfair perhaps, but it does happen, and is unlikely to change until the last fully sponsored captains have left their seat of office!

As for SPIC, indeed it does add to the cost and results in actually more instruction, the intention is of course that the instructor sits there as safety pilot and doesn't interrupt...unlikely of course!

And as for cost, well, no comment...but we are forewarned!

nich-av
25th Apr 2008, 17:52
You've seen accounts for these companies then? If you had, you would know that their profits are quite marginal at best.

No, I haven't seen the accounts but I have a good idea of the costs involved in the operation of aircraft in the U.S. and in Europe since I was part of the start-up project of a flight school which involved comparing operational costs in Europe, U.S. and South Africa for given aircraft.

If profit margins are low, despite charging high prices and having low operational costs, this means that there is a huge waste somewhere. Students shouldn't be paying for inefficiencies, should they?

In the US you can get a FAA CPL IR ME for 25K£ including all expenses and 250 hours TT. So why should one pay a European FTO over 70K£ all expenses inclusive for a 200 hours TT program that involves 90% of flying time in the U.S.?

Hell, for 70K I can provide you a JAA CPL IR ME with 3 hours of massage per day, your own servant and have someone drive you to your aircraft in a McLaren F1.

jxc
25th Apr 2008, 17:57
NIch-av

Now that sounds interesting can i take 5 years to train for that and in order to save you some money i will drive the car myself so saving on drivers salary

where and when can i sign :ok:

nich-av
25th Apr 2008, 19:09
Sure, no problem!

If you don't need the full-time personal servant and the 3-hours daily massage, I can give you a jet transition course on F-16 with 10 hours dual, 5 hours solo and interception training.

Artie Fufkin
25th Apr 2008, 20:56
As reply to A&C's marketing stunts on this thread:
A bit rich, eh, Nich Av?

Lots of luv :}