PDA

View Full Version : Use of runways at major airfields

CJ1234
23rd Apr 2008, 13:37
How on earth do they use runways at massive airfields in Europe?

Namely: PARIS. With 4 runways, how are they used? 09/27 for Terminal one and 08/26 for terminal 2? Left runways for landing and right runway for takeoff? HOw does it work at Paris?

Also, how are the runways used at Frankfurt? Does it work on an alternation period with takeoffs on 25L before 1500 then 25R afterwards, like Heathrow? Or is it just random?

Paris and Frankfurt - how on earth do they use all those runways?

Cheers:cool:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Apr 2008, 16:24
How do they use all those runways? Probably down to two factors:
1. Local instructions detailing the procedures to be employed for the use of different/ multiple runways.
2. Thorough training of the air traffic controllers in those procedures.

Heathrow only has two runways now, but it once had 6. Although most have been given to taxiways or terminal areas, 23 was still in use in recent times and this runway could be used in conjunction with the two main runways such that it was possible to have landings on 23 and 27L whilst departures were going from 27R. Some US airfields have multiple parallel runways and watching them in use can be a real thrill.

To properly trained controllers and aircrew who are familiar with the procedures, it's no big deal... although it may look scary to outsiders!!

HTH

mad_jock
23rd Apr 2008, 18:13
Aberdeen does a good impression of using 3 runways at the same time if the winds play the game.

From purely a drivers point of view I find it brillant to watch/listen sitting at the hold.

It all sounds like its decided on the fly, I am sure there is a cunning plan, but could be wrong ;)

throw a dyce
23rd Apr 2008, 21:46
I've seen all 4 in use at the same time at ABZ.Calm wind all helis.36 departure,23 landing east of E6,32 landing,and landing 34 south of 32.Also one lining up on 34 at E3 as well.:D
As for the major airport.:confused:

mini-jumbo
24th Apr 2008, 09:18
Yep, ABZ can be a busy little place. Had to wait 25 mins for a stand one evening recently.

CJ1234
24th Apr 2008, 13:23
can anyone explain how runways are used at Paris and Frankfurt (i.e. which are used for landings and which are used for takeoff)?

Cheers

airseb
24th Apr 2008, 14:49
in paris:

outer runways are used for landings and inners for t/offs. the problem of this layout is that landing traffic has to cross an active runway immediately after they vacate. r/t is very important. mainly, the northern ones are for northerly and easterly departures and arrivals. of course, it's down to only the inners at night.

not sure about fra

ciao

seb

salzkorn
24th Apr 2008, 17:44
to add my 2 cents to what Airseb just said...

In CDG we try to avoid traffic flows crossing in the air. We'd rather have them cross on the ground... If you draw an extended horizontal line between the 2 sets of parallel runways, there should be nobody ever crossing that line...

Of course there are exceptions when it's more convenient for us to have you "cross that line", or when we try and arrange for the shortest taxi, especially during off-peak hours...
Exceptions to that general rule are more frequent on arrival than on departure because with arrivals, you know well in advance what traffic you're going to have. It's not the case with departures (all the more than we also control departures from Le Bourget, and we really don't know when those are going to take off.). There is also an exception with "noisy" aircraft who, whatever their departure, depart from 27L (on westerlies only, this doesn't apply to easterlies...). This, to allow the smallest possible number of local residents to be overflown... (not sure this is proper English, sorry...)

At night, that's a different story....

Hope this helps

CJ1234
30th Apr 2008, 17:12
anyone know the procedures at frankfurt?

GWidgery
1st May 2008, 12:35
In Frankfurt, there's a preferential runway system like this:

Runway 25R/L is used for landings with a tailwind component of up to 5kts. Otherwise, runway 07R/L will be used.

Runway 18 is for departure only. 25s and 07s are used for North Departures, UK, USA/Canada (NOT London TMA). Runway 18 is used for West/South/East (London TMA).

CJ1234
1st May 2008, 12:49
so if operating on 25s, then the use of 25 LEFT or RIGHT is completely random? Or is i split e.g. 25L for departures 25R for arrivals