PDA

View Full Version : Flying and The Law - Talk at White Waltham

BRL
22nd Apr 2008, 11:10
Hi all. Heard on the grapevine that the 'Flying Lawyer' will be doing a talk one evening on "Flying and the Law".

It will be at the West London Aero Club White Waltham on Wednesday evening (23rd April) at 7 pm.

It is free so go along if you can.

HeliCraig
22nd Apr 2008, 11:54
What a shame that I have to be elsewhere on Wednesday evening; else I would have enjoyed going to such an event.

I hope someone can post a synopsis when it is all over!

Leezyjet
24th Apr 2008, 17:41
Damn would have liked to have gone, but only just seen this, and even if I'd have seen it on the 22nd, wouldn't have been enough notice.

:uhoh:

BroomstickPilot
25th Apr 2008, 06:34
Hi Guys,

You missed a splendid talk. Flying Lawyer was well worth listening to and is also a very entertaining speaker.

If you get the chance to attend one of his talks again, definitely go.

Broomstick.

Flying Lawyer
27th Apr 2008, 14:11
Thanks for the kind comments Broomstick. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I've always had an affection for WW - having learnt to fly there when it was RAF White Waltham, many years ago - and the company of fellow aviators at a friendly flying club with a great atmosphere and the best club-house in the country is my idea of an enjoyable an evening.

FL

BEagle
27th Apr 2008, 14:41
Oh bugger - wish I'd know about FL's talk!

Quaffed a few in that club house with you around 38 years ago, eh FL?

Shame that the huge collection of model aeroplanes disappeared from behind the bar - I'm told it was some 'management decision'...:(

Flying Lawyer
28th Apr 2008, 19:06
We did indeed. Happy memories. :)

Yes, I noticed on a previous visit that the model collection had disappeared. (Perhaps it was Maurice Looker's private collection?)
That said, the club house has lost nothing of the atmosphere we enjoyed all those years ago. It's more modern in some respects, inevitably, but extremely well done - and the food is restaurant quality rather than the usual flying club fare.
It's the sort of club where members are likely to stay and enjoy a few hours after flying - or visit for a drink/meal even if not intending to fly that day.

FL

BEagle
28th Apr 2008, 19:44
I don't think it was his personal collection - and a few ULAS mates contributed models over the years. I gave them a Sea Hawk and a triplane - as well as Star Trek's USS Enterprise..... Someone asked what scale it was..:rolleyes:

A few ales in the WW Officers' Mess courtesy of Mr Murph, then as many as could squeeze into as few cars as possible and round the peri-track to WLAC. A few more, served by 'nice' :ooh: Ken, then back to play silly buggers in the Mess - until it was time to get some shut-eye before piling down to breakfast in hairy No2s some 5 hours later, then a quick change into romper suits and into Met Brief with seconds to spare under the paternal eye of the CFI. Who'd seen it all before!

Happy days? Yes - and much simpler ones!

False Capture
28th Apr 2008, 23:12
The models didn't go with Maurice. They were stored in the loft and then they worked their way into one of the hangars. Eventually, the Donglers re-discovered them and shot them to bits with an air rifle.

Sorry BEags, got a funny feeling I shot a Sea Hawk.:eek:

eharding
28th Apr 2008, 23:30
Don't fret Beags....for a suitable fee I can arrange to put you and an air-rifle in close proximity, and place False Capture in slightly less close proximity. If you can hit him in on the shin, you win a teddy bear; if you can hit him on the elbow, you win a goldfish in a plastic bag full of water; if you hit him in the head, you win an award from the Times Education Supplement...and if you hit him in the nuts, we'll have a whip-round at the club - I reckon you'd walk away with 500 quid.

Regardless, I did thoroughly enjoy FL's talk at WW.

BEagle
29th Apr 2008, 05:37
Well, I probably had more hours of enjoyment building that little model rather than the few seconds of destructive fun those kids with air rifles had destroying it....

But why were they ever taken out of the bar in the first place? It must have taken years to amass that collection.

False Capture
29th Apr 2008, 07:52
BEagle,

I think they were removed by the management when they went through a stage of putting up the membership fees and trying to make the club appear more like a Golf Club and less like a Flying Club.

Please don't go for the £500 shot.:sad:

TheGorrilla
29th Apr 2008, 15:31
That's what happens when you let people with no interest in aviation run an airfield. Sadly their business sense get in the way of customer service too. Personally I think BEagle should go in with the bat instead of the air rifle and use it on airfield managers who don't give a stuff about aviation.

P.s. Was it 1:200 scale model of the Enterprise??