PDA

View Full Version : Engine Overheat 737

Olendirk
22nd Apr 2008, 07:39
Guys,

applying the engine overheat procedure and consequently ratarding the thrust lever. now, the light remains on. ok, engien fire sev damage or sep. doing actions,ok. now reading the lists. starting with the engine overheat list. how to read the decisions rombs? is the actual state questioned or the previous state? actual state would lead to operate the engine at that stage, well, its shutdown? did not find something in the handbook

any help

thanks so much!

OD

Nightrider
22nd Apr 2008, 10:46
Have no idea which QRH you are following, the Boeing issued QRH for the CL says clearly

- Autothrottle (if engaged) disengage
- Thrust lever close

If the overheat light remains ON

-accomplish the Engine Fire, severe damage or separation checklist

end of checklist (indicated by the 4 black filled squares)

so far the memory / recall items

The checklist, however, continues if the light extinguishes. And this is not on memory / recall.

If the Eng Overheat light extinguishes....

- Operate the engine at reduced thrust to keep the light extinguished

end of checklist

If you follow this procedure you will, with the light still on, refer to the second checklist with BOTH engines running. A shutdown of one engine, as a result of the given situation, is demanded only in the Engine Fire, severe damage or separation checklist.

Where is the problem???? All very clear!

By the way, also the NG checklist has the very same wording... at least our ones.

cjam
22nd Apr 2008, 12:04
Rombs is his captains name.

stue
22nd Apr 2008, 16:34
Got to say, I agree with Nightrider, it is quite clear.

Just got out my QRH to have a check and yes, you will start the “Engine Fire, Severe Damage or Separation” Checklist with BOTH engines running, but these actions should be memory actions because the condition " If the ENG OVERHEAT light remains illuminated, Accomplish the Engine Fire etc......" is part of the memory actions of the “Engine Overheat” checklist. Then you would start the memory actions for the “Engine Fire, Severe Damage or Separation” checklist.

So in short, as far as I read it, you are going to complete the “Engine Overheat” checklist (all memory actions) the complete the “Engine Fire, Severe Damage or Separation” memory actions and then get your QRH out and start from he beginning i.e the “Engine Overheat” checklist, making sure all the actions have been completed.

Hope this helps.

Capt Ted Crilly
22nd Apr 2008, 17:11
hey olendirk,

a bit of advice regarding the qrh,there is one word that appears regularly and is so small but so important to procedures...........and that word is "IF".

have a look through your checklists and you will see what i mean.....IF the engine overheat light remains illuminated proceed to the eng sev/fire/sep checklist.

have a look at the flight controls checklist also every second word seems to be IF....another small bit of advice when the checklist does say IF stop think and then action only IF thats what the condition calls for.

the middle word in life is IF..........

hope it helps and enjoy the 737

Blacksheep
23rd Apr 2008, 00:18
Understanding what is the difference between Fire and Overheat detection makes the necessary actions plain.

A failure that causes an engine fire may damage the fire detection system. Thus an indicated overheat may actually be a fire. The QRH procedures are designed to cope with this uncertainty.

Understand the complementary detection systems and all becomes clear.

BigFootDriver
23rd Apr 2008, 04:01
And the real answer is.......

Dont worry about it. It its really burning, it will melt and fall off the airplane. Gotta love Boeing firewalls!

Of course if its' a Scarebus...... Is the French computer lying, trying to trick me, will it listen to me when I pull the fire handle?......

If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!:\

Bubba

captjns
23rd Apr 2008, 09:17
From the Boeing 737-800 QRH.

ENGINE OVERHEAT

Condition: An ENG OVERHEAT light illuminated indicates an overheat is detected on the related engine.

AUTOTHROTTLE (if engaged) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .DISENGAGE
Allows thrust lever to remain where manually positioned.

TRUST lever . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CLOSE

If the ENG OVERHEAT light extinguishes:
Operate the engine at reduced thrust to keep the light extinguished.

If the ENG OVERHEAT light remains illuminated:
Accomplish the ENGINE FIRE, SEVERE DAMAGE ORSEPARATION checklist.

Capt Ted Crilly
23rd Apr 2008, 16:13
hey olendirk,

how many times do you see IF in captjns post. it is a condition that says stop doing the checklist or keep going, IF that makes sense?????

rgds